Cleaning and Preserving Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

I recently purchased a 1982 Bach Stradavarius 37 Trumpet. Most would agree its pretty much the best. Looking at the best way to preserve the silver, I purchased and used Renaissance Museum Wax. Really wasn't happy with the look. I had it overhauled and it came back looking great. Not sure what polish the guy used but it probably was something more abrasive than I would want to use.

After a lot of research I found that "Better Life Window Cleaner" does about the best job safely cleaning silver. I plan on using it with a lint free cloth a couple times/week. I bought it through Amazon. I tried it on other plated silver and it does a remarkable job.

http://www.hermansilver.com/silver-polish-abrasion-ratings.htm

Just passing it on. Any comments welcome.

Last edited:
There's really no such thing as cleaning silver properly. The polish removes a layer of oxidized silver. It will retarnish again too unless you put an air tight sealant over it....if there is such a thing. 80-99% silver is highly reactive in it's raw and uncleaned state. Some use a silver dip to remove old tarnish....it's just another form of a weak acid. This guy claims to have found something better....though it may not be perfect.

This guy claims to have found something better....though it may not be perfect. [/quote]
Which guy?

Is it actually silver or nickel?

Assuming it has a lacquer finish?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back