Oil Selection Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

Never thought so much about oil etc before, but this is the last vehicle I want to buy and want to make sure I take the best care of it from the beginning. I tried to address all the great points the sticky asked for
smile.gif

I am looking for the best options for my vehicle for both oil and filter. I prefer to change more often than less, meaning I don't care for 25,000 mile stuff. I have no problem paying more for quality.
  • 2017 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab, LT Z71
  • Manual says SAE 0W-20, with Dexos1 certification. Interval states to go off of OLI ( Oil Life Indicator ) but also I think 3,000 miles as a fallback. "If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 5 000 km (3,000 mi) since the last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed."
  • I live in the Easy Bay Area, California
  • Drive is probably a between easy and hard. I like to accelerate a bit
    smile.gif
    But no WOT or racing.
  • Most driving is short trips, city driving. I work from home so no commute. Some highway of course.
  • No known issues that I am aware of!

Vehicle currently has about 900 miles on it. I know GM includes two free services but I will do one myself prior to their recommended interval anyways, probably next 100 miles or so.

I was leaning towards Mobil 1, then reading on another forum that pointed me here I had heard about AMSOIL. I like their idea of a membership and shipping directly to me also.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Cheapest 0w20 with Dexos rating you can get on sale at Walmart.

Order OEM filters online on Fleabay.

Last edited:
First post! Welcome to BITOG! I feel so much responsibitity answering here.

The Dexos spec is key. It really is a higher quality than regular SN oil. My personal favorite is Havoline Pro DS. Since you are on the west coast, it's widely available and you can probably score some deals pretty easily. Walmart doesn't stock it in Texas, but I believe they do on the coast. ACDelco filters are high quality and reasonably priced, but if you want something better, Fram Ultra and Mobil 1 are probably at the top of the food chain. A big NO to Purolator, no matter what they call them now. I was a loyal user who got burned by tearing filters.

Anyway, use whatever helps you sleep at night, and ENJOY your new truck!

Just curious 5.3 or 6.2 & 8L90E? Both hold about 8 US quarts of oil. I would stick with the AC filter as not to alert the dealership to the fact you are doing your own thing.
Would I use 0W20? No, I would use 5W30 Dexos just like the 4.3L V6 that has the same cylinder de-activation system as the V8s.
But then, I'm in the thicker is better than thin, and change out the factory fill asap fan boy clubs.

Correct me if I am wrong but the last AC Delvo filter I looked in had the plastic cage. That's a big No-No.
I ll take a tore filter paper knowing it won't go into my engine like the big squares will let it.
Nothing wrong with Purolator.
A Tear isn't the end of the world at short oil changes.
Big deal out of nothing.

First off welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and information here and even more opinions, which is what the majority of the replies here on your post will be including mine. Congratulations on your new truck as well.

Now to provide my opinion on your question. The simple boring easy answer is that your new engine which I presume is the Direct Injected 5.3L will live a long and happy life on any Dexos 1 Certified oil with an AC oil filter while running it out to the extent of the OLM. But that's the boring answer. Let's discuss some specifics and finally we'll move on to my personal choices.

In alphabetical order of proven performers from UOAs on this site. All in 0w20

Castrol Magnatec
Castrol Edge
Havoline Pro DS Full Synthetic
Mag 1
Mobil 1
Mobil 1 AFE
Napa Synthetic
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with pure plus technology (hard to find)
Pennzoil Platinum with pure plus technology
Valvoline SynPower with MaxLife
Valvoline SynPower

For my personal picks, it really depends on what's available locally for a reasonable price, usually Walmart. I don't like having to mail order oil if I can help it so I'd pick something you can go out and get off the shelf. I personally really like Valvoline products they routine return low wear numbers in my UOAs and in my experience rebuilding engines Valvoline engines have always been very very clean inside. Since you're considering short oil changes no need to go to an exotic or boutique oil like AMSOIL, it's frankly a huge waste of your hard earned money for short oil changes. If you're comfortable with 5,000 miles that makes the math easy, just change at 5,000 10,000 15k etc, easy to remember that way. That being said a lot of the high end oils are likely only 50% used at that interval so let's focus on the proven less expensive performers.

Valvoline SynPower with or without MaxLife
Napa Synthetic (goes on sale several times per year for ~2.99/qt)
Castrol Magnatec (has some excellent results in the newer direct injected Ford engines)
Havoline Pro DS (both dexos 1 generation 1&2 approved)
Pennzoil Platinum (not the Ultra as there is no need for your short changes)
Mobil 1 AFE

Pick any of those for 5k changes and be happy.

For the oil filter I would either run a Napa Gold or the current (arguably) best and most efficient filter on the market the Fram Ultra (filter starts with an XG prefix) you could easily run the Fram Ultra 2-3 5,000 mile oil changes especially on a brand new truck since the filter is rated for 15,000+ miles this would reduce the filter cost per oil change to about $3 if you used it for 15,000 miles which is budget filter money with premium protection.

Again so long as you run a Dexos certified oil you'll be golden, but personally I'd run either Napa/Valvoline or the Castrol Magnatec in your new truck with a Fram Ultra.

Most importantly enjoy your new truck.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Cheapest 0w20 with Dexos rating you can get on sale at Walmart.

Order OEM filters online on Fleabay.

My thoughts exactly.
dexos1 is a great oil (with the dexos1 gen 2 coming out soon), with specs made for GM engines.
Go by the IOLM, it is very smart. It will factor in your driving conditions and temperatures.
If you change it once it hits 10-15% life left, your good.
Filters, lots of options. The safe bet is the ACDelco filter (nothing wong with the Champ made e-core filters), but Wix/NAPA Gold and Fram (TG or Ultra) are both good choices as well.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Correct me if I am wrong but the last AC Delvo filter I looked in had the plastic cage. That's a big No-No.
I ll take a tore filter paper knowing it won't go into my engine like the big squares will let it.
Nothing wrong with Purolator.
A Tear isn't the end of the world at short oil changes.
Big deal out of nothing.

Please quit giving bad advice. If your not worried about tears in the filter media, fine, but I for one (as well as most others) like a filter to well, um, filter.
You have a flawed view, you don't want filter particles that tear to pass through the "big squares". but Champ filters don't have a tearing issue. Purolator filters do have tearing issues, even on short intervals.

Welcome. !!!

Some good advice from FlyNavyP3 above, plus I do tend to agree with some of the comments from Userfriendly.

But any good name brand, full synthetic, Dexos rated oil at the OLI will work. For these oils 3k miles is a very short OCI unless under severe service, I would consider 5k miles as a min distance for regular use, or even 7.5k miles.

Yes follow the OM and use a 0W20, but out of warranty you could consider a Dexos 5W30.

If you like M1 then use it, it's well balanced product. The PP is well respected, and Castrol Magnatec is producing excellent UOA results right now and is probably the best bang for your buck oil right now.

Congratulation on the new vehicle.

That's one sexy truck! What color did you end up going with? Obviously we need some pictures!

I can only repeat what's been said above. I like ACDelco filters, AAP still has some older, metal core filters that fit my buick. I've never been upset by the plastic cage cores in the newer ones, and will happily run them.

I like Pennzoil, I totally buy their marketing mumbo jumbo. In theory, anything with the Dexos license will do you years of solid justice. I'm sure they're prevented from doing it, but I'd *love* for a licensed brand to say "we surpass X requirements of Dexos by x%". Assuming, of course, they actually do and aren't just meetings the same basic minimums that SuperTech does.

I am not giving bad advice.
This is a new guy, all I am saying is look down in a AC filter at the thin plastic cage and how big the squares are. A quick search on E core failures isn't hard to find.
Think of that thing plastic rails getting hot and cold about 50 times and how brittle and nothing to stop them getting sucked up in to the motor. Also a quick search will show AC doesn't have as much filter fabric as it's competition. It's better stuff right. A AC/ STP filter is about 1/3 shorter.
Face it, your buying the GM Delco name not the filter.
You can't construct a cheaper filter than a AC.
I have been using g Purolator since 1987 without any issues.
Fram Ultra is a awesome filter. But I would use a Orange Fram before a E Core.
Not any bad advice just my opinion, you started it with Purolator hating No-No.

For the sake of argument, how many hot/cold cycles do other plastic engine parts survive over the life of an engine?

Surely they can design a relatively cheap plastic that can survive 70 to 240 to 70 again a few hundred times before being discarded.

Have I just missed the C&P of plastic core ACDelco that have shredded in the course of an oil change, and had plastic bits go everywhere, or are we just theorizing?

I would use whatever 0w20 dexos 1 syn oil and change at around 10-15% left on the OLI/ OLM. Then after warranty, 5 or 10w 30 oil is what I would use

Originally Posted By: RichardS
For the sake of argument, how many hot/cold cycles do other plastic engine parts survive over the life of an engine?

Surely they can design a relatively cheap plastic that can survive 70 to 240 to 70 again a few hundred times before being discarded.

Have I just missed the C&P of plastic core ACDelco that have shredded in the course of an oil change, and had plastic bits go everywhere, or are we just theorizing?

I have not seen any e-core failures in several years. No idea if they happen or not, just none posted recently.
They did a redesign (narrowed up the gaps in the cage, maybe changed the plastics formulation?) several years back and I don't think I have seen a problem with them since.

I have cut open 3 used Purolator made filters, 2 had media tears or damage, and it is an easy search to find recent Purolator issues from multiple posts.
I did a search here for the e-core/champ failure, and were a bunch in 2009-2011 timeframe, but none (that I found) since then.
I have cut open 2 e-cores, both held up well, one the media was fully caked with debris, yet did not tear, rip or have cage failure.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
.... any Dexos 1 Certified oil with an AC oil filter

That about sums it up.

No need to spend more if you follow the OCI mnitor.

Not sure what's around you, but 1 gallon jugs of Harvest King "Dexos" certified oil can be had at Atwood's stores for about $12 a gallon, $10 on sale.

thatryan, I tend to think like you in regards to your attitude toward a few extra bucks to get the best. Its maybe worth it, so I don't mind spending a small amount more to get the best.

If I were you, I'd use a Fram Ultra oil filter, since it filters the best and is built well.

Also, I'd grab the Mobil1 Extended Performance or the Castrol Edge Extended Performance (gold jug or bottle), all available at Walmart or Amazon, 0w20 as GM recommends.
Again, those are arguably the best out there, built to be chemically stable over ANY oil change interval you choose, and will easily get to what the OLM oil change interval does.

BTW, the OLM on your GM vehicle is pretty accurate at predicting when to change oil, wise to use it.

Also, those above who warn against Purolator are only right when it comes to the paper-filter Purolator oil filters. The Purolator Boss is actually OK. Not as good as a Fram Ultra, but OK.

Any quality oil from the major oil companies with the proper ratings etc will allow engine life for longer that you need.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
thatryan, I tend to think like you in regards to your attitude toward a few extra bucks to get the best. Its maybe worth it, so I don't mind spending a small amount more to get the best.

If I were you, I'd use a Fram Ultra oil filter, since it filters the best and is built well.

Also, I'd grab the Mobil1 Extended Performance or the Castrol Edge Extended Performance (gold jug or bottle), all available at Walmart or Amazon, 0w20 as GM recommends.
Again, those are arguably the best out there, built to be chemically stable over ANY oil change interval you choose, and will easily get to what the OLM oil change interval does.

BTW, the OLM on your GM vehicle is pretty accurate at predicting when to change oil, wise to use it.
Because?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back