Mixing old Mobil 0w-40 with new version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything mixing problems with mixing 2qt of old version European car formula Mobil Ow-40 with 5 qts, of new FS version. Typical oci are between
8,500 and 10,000 Miles . Thanks

IF your car blows up, you didn't hear that it was ok from us.....

It will be fine as long as the new Mobil still has the certifications required for your car. It doesn't for mine, so I am going straight to Castrol without one drop of M1 ever touching the car.

Actually neither version has the " certification " my engine requires.
I guess my consern was if they are in fact different base blend's weither it GTL or Visiom? , forgive me for my lack of knowledge on oils, I was under the impression they may be totally different. And I didn't know if that would cause a mixing problem or something else down the road ,Im just not that informed as some.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite

It will be fine as long as the new Mobil still has the certifications required for your car. It doesn't for mine, so I am going straight to Castrol without one drop of M1 ever touching the car.

I've mixed 5 qts of the new M1 0W-40 with 2 qts of Pennzoil Platinum HM 5W-30 with no ill effects that I can tell (1 OCI only). Mixing Mobil 1 to Mobil 1 should be fine.

Last edited:
A little difference in viscosity (12.8 cSt in FS vs. 13.4-13.8 in the old stuff). Add packs minor differences. You'll be fine. For those that want to mix, this would be about an ideal situation....same brand syn. and grade.

Running an oil that doesn't carry the specifications required for your engine is more harmful than mixing two generations of the same oil. All motor oil is required to be able to be mixing with any other motor oil. This is how people can switch from one brand to another without full flushing out the oiling system on their car. Running an oil that doesn't have the right specifications can cause a shortened life for the engine. How long that may take to impact your engine will vary depending on what oil and what engine.

There are some interesting threads where people ran the wrong spec oil and got sludging and other threads where different oil was specified to protect bearings, etc. I haven't seen one that has resulted in instant seizing of the motor or explosion. However, if I do, I hope they include video and pictures.

You will probably be fine using the mixed oil. In the long run, get into the practice of putting the right specification oil into the engine, as this is a better practice.
Welcome and don't let people's bad humor or apparent abruptness keep you from asking your questions and satisfying your curiosity. I also suggest using Google to site search BITOG, as it works so much better than any built in search. This is often the case in many forums.

Cheers.
Originally Posted By: Crobinson16
Actually neither version has the " certification " my engine requires.
I guess my consern was if they are in fact different base blend's weither it GTL or Visiom? , forgive me for my lack of knowledge on oils, I was under the impression they may be totally different. And I didn't know if that would cause a mixing problem or something else down the road ,Im just not that informed as some.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite

I Do KNOW for a FACT; That ALL of the American API (and) ILSAC Rated Oils ARE COMPATIBLE with Each other.
The Oil Producers (and) Manufactures EVEN "Test their products themselves" to ENSURE Compatibility with Other Brands!
HOWEVER; I can NOT Speak for European ACEA Oil's
Has I Know NOTHING about those.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RoofTopPigeon
I Do KNOW for a FACT; That ALL of the American API (and) ILSAC Rated Oils ARE COMPATIBLE with Each other.
The Oil Producers (and) Manufactures EVEN "Test their products themselves" to ENSURE Compatibility with Other Brands!

Actually, they TEST them against 7 reference oils...

Here's what the testing is, and note that all it offers is that with the 7 reference oils it doesn't split, nor drop precipitates...doesn't promise or offer any more than that.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3503628/Re:_The_oft_quoted_ASTM_D6922

That being said, this is probably one of the safest mixes that you could imagine.

Originally Posted By: RoofTopPigeon
HOWEVER; I can NOT Speak for European ACEA Oil's
Has I Know NOTHING about those.

Do we know you under another, previous name? Sure seems like it.

Originally Posted By: Crobinson16
So are the two compatible , mixable, no interface of ad packs, with no I'll effect.

Honestly, I don't think that you can come up with a safer mix...

Don't take me drawing purveyors of non facts to task as dissing what you are doing.

All oils are compatible with each other, let alone the same oil with an updated spec.

Of course Mobil is going to say it is OK.

Guess after you don't believe them, you will go and buy the newer spec anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back