Pike's Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got back from Colorado trip, Canon City-Colorado Springs-Denver last night. Love the drives out there and the area around Colorado Springs. Scenic Drive and Phantom Grey Road were the other two. Can't say the RV or Focus did though, the cooling systems act different at high altitudes.

I won't do the Pike Peaks drive again until/if I have grandkids, and assured not in this car! We went up the cog in 2015 and didn't care for it. Rolled over 134k to the top.. don't know if it's a major feat but most of other cars were at least 10 years newer and more than a few had to stop at the halfway mark. The brakes were only at 188 at that point. Threatened to trade it in on a Jeep if it died... Jeeps seem cheaper out in Colorado than in the KC area!

01.gif

Did that drive last July, what a blast! If you don't like heights (like me) there is definitely a pucker factor! But I'd do it again in a heart beat.

I hear you on the brakes man- plenty of people were parked for a while, but not us. You just have to let the engine and trans do the work for you.

The only time I went up Pikes Peak, the road was still gravel. I forget the year, probably mid 70's or early 80's, but I was driving a 65 Plymouth fury 2 dr. hardtop. 318 with 3 speed on the column. was in 2nd gear with my foot on the floor board and running about 15/20 mph all the way, except once when I had to drop down to low to go around an overheated car. It was MUCH newer. Mine never overheated, and never missed a beat. On the way down, my brakes never got hot either.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Why didnt you like the cog ride?

Didn't seem like we had enough time. Although we spent the same amount of time up there, 30 minutes. But didn't have to deal with the crowd.

Originally Posted By: old1
The only time I went up Pikes Peak, the road was still gravel. I forget the year, probably mid 70's or early 80's, but I was driving a 65 Plymouth fury 2 dr. hardtop. 318 with 3 speed on the column. was in 2nd gear with my foot on the floor board and running about 15/20 mph all the way, except once when I had to drop down to low to go around an overheated car. It was MUCH newer. Mine never overheated, and never missed a beat. On the way down, my brakes never got hot either.

Sounds like my trip up. 2nd gear but about half way on the accelerator. On occasion had to push a bit further and would downshift to 1st and sound like it was about to die. The old 2.0 sohc has grunt but no rev.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
You didn't by chance happen to live/work in Iowa for a while did you?

Nope.. I have at least one twin out there though. I've been asked that in a few area's!

On the trip the Focus did have a slight misfire on startup very randomly. And the wife complained it just didn't seem to have as much power as it typically did. I should know better than doubt her, she's one of those wife's that if something's mechanically off she'll notice. This one plug #2.. looks like a crack in it. #3 was loose enough to not require the racket and #4 had a u-shaped crack. Not sure how much it mattered but it did make the climb. Threw the autolites away and replaced with motorcrafts. Seems a bit peppier but I'll let the boss decide.

4AD4957E-CB21-4639-AF35-DD761548E1C8_zpsc6xc8zqr.jpg

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
?.. don't know if it's a major feat but most of other cars were at least 10 years newer and more than a few had to stop at the halfway mark. The brakes were only at 188 at that point.

Can you expand on this please? I'm planning a trip to Pikes next summer. Are you saying some vehicle's brakes overheat on the descent?

Originally Posted By: Onug
?.. don't know if it's a major feat but most of other cars were at least 10 years newer and more than a few had to stop at the halfway mark. The brakes were only at 188 at that point.

Can you expand on this please? I'm planning a trip to Pikes next summer. Are you saying some vehicle's brakes overheat on the descent?

Yes.. if you ride the brakes on the way down they will overheat. Leave it in 2nd or 1st and let the engine do the work. When you do brake drop it down to 10mph let off till 20mph (speeds can vary based on vehicle!!!!).. short durations on the brake. Might make a few people mad around you but's that better than going off the cliff. Got behind a Chevy truck going 5mph on his exhaust brake, that was horrid.

Originally Posted By: Onug

Yes.. if you ride the brakes on the way down they will overheat. Leave it in 2nd or 1st and let the engine do the work. When you do brake drop it down to 10mph let off till 20mph (speeds can vary based on vehicle!!!!).. short durations on the brake. Might make a few people mad around you but's that better than going off the cliff. Got behind a Chevy truck going 5mph on his exhaust brake, that was horrid.

Noted...thanks for the intel.

Cool post!

We did Pike's Peak drive in the 2003 Elantra once in 2008 or so, and it had a panic attack/altitude sickness close to the top; CEL came on and it sputtered to a stop. Ranger dude came and picked us up and drove to the top.
Came back and started the Elantra and it drove like a champ again
shocked.gif

Got the code read (CEL was off but code was stored) and it was some MAP sensor error. Guess the sudden change in altitude??

That said, I have plans to CLIMB Mt. Elbert (14k feet) in CO in 2 yrs or so. Right now we have plans to climb Mt Mitchell in NC (6.7k ft), the highest in the eastern US. Then hopefully South Sister (10k ft) in Oregon ... that should prepare us for Mt Elbert... hopefully.

I have been up Pikes Peak twice. 1st time was in 1954 in Dad's 1949 Ford flat head V8. 2nd time was in my 1990 Ford Tempo. Both times the road was gravel. Thanks for the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back