Ford 1.0-litre EcoBoost, engine of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hemitruck
No thanks. I will keep my V8.

God Bless America. I love my 2 dollar per gallon gas
57.gif

Last edited:

but you are missing the cool part of this thing.

it's a 1.0L Turbo 3cyl engine, that on the conservative factory tune makes 123Bhp. and with a little tuning can easily go over 150Bhp.
while that may not sound like much today, just 30 yrs ago, Detroit was pumping out v8's that only made 150Bhp

and this thing is legit tiny. it's footprint fits within a sheet of A4 paper. the whole engine would fit in the overhead compartment of an airplane.

Ever since this engine came out, i've been waiting for cosworth, or someone else, to join 2 of 'em at the crank, and make a 2L twin turbo inline 6, that conservatively makes ~250bhp.

Originally Posted By: Timo325

God Bless America. I love my 2 dollar per gallon gas
57.gif

I love my V8 also, but this is a seriously well engineered motor and is remarkable in design and efficiency. It deserves the reward, over and over. It has an amazing raspy sound that, coupled with the go-kart handling of the Fiesta, makes the car amazing to drive. Coming from someone who drives an F150 Super Crew with a 5.0 V8.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

it's a 1.0L Turbo 3cyl engine, that on the conservative factory tune makes 123Bhp. and with a little tuning can easily go over 150Bhp.
while that may not sound like much today, just 30 yrs ago, Detroit was pumping out v8's that only made 150Bhp

and this thing is legit tiny. it's footprint fits within a sheet of A4 paper. the whole engine would fit in the overhead compartment of an airplane.

Ever since this engine came out, i've been waiting for cosworth, or someone else, to join 2 of 'em at the crank, and make a 2L twin turbo inline 6, that conservatively makes ~250bhp.

2018 Fiesta ST will answer your wait - 1.5 litre 3 cylinder version of this engine, with >200 HP

^ From what I understand the new Fiesta ST unfortunately won't be coming to the US. Not sure about Canada, but I doubt it's coming there either.

I've got 33,000 miles on my 2015 Focus 1.0 and still think it's a wonderful engine.

Last edited:
They are really cool engines. There were some issues early on with overheating and the head cracking .... Ford did something strange to the US cooling systems and it caused an overheat situation when a plastic elbow would blow out.

I'm a bit concerned about having both a timing belt and a belt driving the oil pump. I'd like one of these with a manual in a Focus.

This is an effective way to cut weight in any vehicle. I'm a fan of the low rpm torque provided by turbos. The torque roll-on of the 2.4T comes on sooner than the 4.7 in the truck if you roll into it rather than stabbing the gas. Why carry the extra weight around?

-m

...it's a 1.0L Turbo 3cyl engine, that on the conservative factory tune makes 123Bhp. and with a little tuning can easily go over 150Bhp.

You're missing the main accomplishment of this engine: Its a 3, so it should shake itself apart. They jumped through clever hoops just to partially compensate for the vibrating 3 cylinders. Its definitely NOT the power output thats interesting here, as they are just on par (power density hp/displacement) with about all the 2.0L 4's out there now.

That would make no sense at all with this engine. They would have to ditch all the design enhancements to compensate for all that 3-cylinder shimmy and shake when an inline 6 needs very little and completely different approaches.

If you're mesmerized by the packaging efficiency, the real hero of that was and is the VW VR6, six cylinders with one head, crammed together very tightly.

Back many years ago, I drove a 1990 Subaru Justy GL which had a 1.2L 3-cyclinder non-turbo, fuel injected engine mated to a 5-speed tranny. I could get rubber in three gears and 38MPG no matter how I drove due to the car being so small and lite (and I'm 6'2").

Surprisingly, that little 3-cylinder engine was very smooth (it had a special balance shaft). I drove that car from new to 120K miles over 9years as my DD.
I weirdly do miss it some times.

I would think that several car companies that have a turbo GDI ~1.0L sized 3-cylinder engine that could do quite nicely in the right application.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

You're missing the main accomplishment of this engine: Its a 3, so it should shake itself apart. They jumped through clever hoops just to partially compensate for the vibrating 3 cylinders. Its definitely NOT the power output thats interesting here, as they are just on par (power density hp/displacement) with about all the 2.0L 4's out there now.

It's certainly not the first 3 cyl engine in mass production.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
It's certainly not the first 3 cyl engine in mass production.

Its the way they quelled NVH that I'm specifically referring to. Past 3 cylinder engines did OK, this Ford one got very clever with it:
ford-focus-1-l-ecoboost-presentation-20-1024.jpg

Back in my day, the 1 liter 3 cylinder engines made 50 horsepower, and you had to turn the A/C off to accelerate.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

You should see what Honda did with the 3 cylinder in the 2000-era Insight. The IMA electric motor sandwiched between the gas engine and the transmission was programmed to pulse some kind of output to counteract the gas motor's vibrations. In operation the car was very smooth.

apparently the fiesta with this engine is one fun little go-cart and still manages 32/45 mpg. An off the shelf tune should make it respectably quick for not a lot of money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back