Should I replace a TB on a car I plan to sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Lexus ES300. Runs like new. Low miles, 40,000.

However, timing belt has never been changed.
At 40K mi, it's well short of the recommended life of the belt.
But it's been 14 years. Rubber may be old and brittle.

If I were to keep the car, for sure, I'd change it.
--As well as everything else related and near it (e.g. pulleys, tensioners, water pump, serpentine belt, cam seals, etc.)

But within probably 2 years, the car will be surplus (aging parent will give me a car 8 years newer).

Replacing a timing belt will likely cost somewhere between $500 and $900 USD, depending on whether I do the related stuff and who is doing the job.
Kelly Blue Book says the car is worth around $6000.

Question: What do people do when there is a job that needs doing that is costly and, importantly, a significant percentage of the worth of the car? e.g.
Don't do it and reduce the asking price? (reduce by how much?)
Do it but increase the price? (by how much?)

I would think there are buyers who would be interested in the rock bottom price and thus might skip a higher price car. Alternatively, there would be ones that would pay more for a car that (as seen in some ads:) "doesn't need anything".

What would you do?

If you are going to keep the car for one or two years minimum, then I would change it for my own peace of mind. There is some risk in not changing it and substantially lowering its value if it breaks on your watch before selling. A lot of the evaluation depends on your annual mileage, but I would change it for peace of mind, anyway.

It's that 2 years you plan on using it that gets me. If you were selling it now, I'd say don't do it. But you could be worse off financially if you don't do it, if it fails in the next 2 years. If it's an interface engine then you'd need a new engine at which point $500 is cheap!

You won't get the money out of the repair when you sell it. I'd venture to say 99% of buyers wouldn't care or know about the timing belt.

Is it an interference engine? If not, no as no damage would occur if the belt goes. If it is, yes as you'll break things when it goes.

If you are the mechanic and doing it for parts price, yes. (And save the receipt and a couple pictures.)

If you're paying retail for labo, no, not as a favor the buyer. Won't get that money back.

If you want piece of mind for yourself, go for it, either way.

Those TBs will go almost 200K miles. Lexus timing belts are frickin amazing. I just changed the TB & WP on our '01 RX300 at 120K miles and it looked brand new.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Is it an interference engine? If not, no as no damage would occur if the belt goes. If it is, yes as you'll break things when it goes.

OT: cannot the DOHCs open both valves simultaneously, making the valves clash?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

hitting the pistons makes the damage most severe.

I'd only fix what is broken. Easy preventative maintenance(fluids and filters), cosmetics(clean and detail) etc.

Then maybe the 3 biggies going into winter time:

Brakes, tires and battery.

We always sell our vehicles in near perfect running condition. Everything works, vehicle needs no mechanical repairs or maintenance.

Funny, they always sell fast. Folks call us from all over the country wondering when we are going to sell them one of our money makers...

It's a 2003 Toyota Camry for all intensive purposes. The 1mzfe timing belt looks pretty diy capable (I have a 1999 Camry v6 that should have the timing belt changed soon. Being a mechanic may give me an unfair advantage, but I don't have much experience with this engine, so that may level the playing field) The kit with the new water pump and everything is $100 from rock auto, the belt by itself is $15, also from rock auto. If you want to replace the timing belt, I would change only the belt. (My reason for that is the system only has 40k on it, everything except the belt should be fine, and you might sell it anyway.)

Last edited:
as far as selling you ahould keep the price at market price first. this is called anchoring.
then when you get negotiations then you can immediately knock $ off the price.

if you knock money off they will use that as the anchor base price and want to double dip and say extra off for no timing belt.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
as far as selling you ahould keep the price at market price first. this is called anchoring.
then when you get negotiations then you can immediately knock $ off the price.

if you knock money off they will use that as the anchor base price and want to double dip and say extra off for no timing belt.

That's somewhat true in a limited market where there's just one buyer and seller. However if you price it low and get multiple inquires, you can just hold firm to your price and someone else will step up and pay the asking price. When I know it's a good price, I don't even bother negotiating, I just take it.

Sell it and dont mention the TB change. In theory, its fine til close too 100k so why even put that idea in the buyers head.

Bobandweave, don't worry about it. 40K is nothing and those belts are minimally affected by age alone and definitely not enough for concern. I've seen stock belts last 200K KMs/160K Miles before breaking. They're extremely tough (oil and heat resistant) belts. Just let the potential buyer know it's original, with that mileage it's more trivia for him than anything.

Unlikely if not impossible. The included valve angle on the 1MZ heads is sub-30 degrees AFAIK and the valve lift quite ordinary.

A lot of Toyota DOHC timing belt engines have the intake cam "geared" to the exhaust cam per a single bank. The DOHC inline 6 being an exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back