Elderly Dementia Experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any experience with this rather sensitive subject? I fear that a family member is starting to display signs of it, but they are also very stubborn about getting help. Fortunately they are still able to function on a day to day basis, but there are signs of rapid short term memory loss and a sort of 'zoning out'..

I think it would be beneficial for the person to have a more active lifestyle and to spend some time each day on mental puzzle type activities, but they are very stubborn. I suspect that chronic pain from a past work injury is causing/accelerating the problem.

It is hard to see it happening.

What meds if any are they on? Might be time to have them adjusted or reduced. Have a doctor or a new doctor referred to take a look at the meds and give a thorough exam. Talking to nurses at a hospital can be a good reference. They won't say anything negative about a bad one but will recommend good ones.

They need a good work up. Heart surgery, Lyme disease and a zillion other things can make you that way.
Up here we are #2 with Lyme disease and next door is #1. It can screw you up big time.
Plus chronic pain figures in as well. Just a few blood tests would rule out a few bads. Good luck. It is a bad road to go down.

I had a cousin they dumped a ton of meds on and as SS said above once he got them corrected he was okay- very serious issue.

If there is already a suspecion..someone that will be that person's "guardian" needs to get min/her to seek competant med eval. After the ager of 65 (I believe) insurance plans cover dementia evaluations. If that person (patient) is not co-operative...good luck.

It can make the afflicted ornery. Mum was a bright vibrant woman,never complained about anything. Now when I visit she always is grousing about something. Meds affecting meds happens not infrequently. Lyme disease is a constant caution. I have had 6 or 8 tick bites this season. I should get my blood tested. No bulls eye rash, so I'm not too worried. I'm blaming my short term memory loss on chemo brain
grin2.gif

1) Get a proper diagnosis by a Dementia and Alzheimer trained medical doctor.
2) Get a proper diagnosis by a Dementia and Alzheimer trained medical doctor.
3) Get a proper diagnosis by a Dementia and Alzheimer trained medical doctor.
4) If diagnosed; Aricept can slow the disease.
5) The family is in for a long battle. My Mom and mother-in-law have dementia but could live a long time as it does not necessary kill you. Neither can walk and both wear diapers all day. While dementia does not destroy the brain like altzimers you can linger for a long long time with dementia. Alzheimer's is more aggressive and most patients die horribly but within 5 years.

One is very passive and one is very angry and will spit or scratch you.

Last edited:
My dad died from Alzheimers/Dementia. He was in great physical shape but deteriorated quickly. Start finding help to watch over him before He gets any worse and its too late. Dont wait till the last minute and dont think you can take care of him later on.he will be a hand full.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I think it would be beneficial for the person to have a more active lifestyle and to spend some time each day on mental puzzle type activities, but they are very stubborn. I suspect that chronic pain from a past work injury is causing/accelerating the problem.

Trauma from injurys or surgery can definitely accelerate cognitive decline in elderly who may be in early stages of dementia.
Also, diet and vitamin deficiencies are another important area to look into.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2017/03/joseph-mercola/stop-brain-loss/

But good luck getting get a stubborn elderly person with possible early dementia to begin eating better and taking supplements.

Believe it or not, smoking cuts the risk of Alzheimers in half, Parkisons disease as well, but you'll never hear about about that, although it been known for decades.

How old is this person, out of curiosity? I totally agree with the physical and mental exercise, if it can be helped at all.. I can't prove it, but there seems to be some sense that our bodies maintain and protect what is being used... (and not waste resources on things it isn't)

It's typically gradual and just get worse. Those who are not active have the worst of it due to the additional mobility issues (Walker, Wheelchair).

If the primary caregiver is family please monitor their health because it is significantly more stressful for the primary caregiver than it is for the individual with dementia. In fact it's not uncommon for the health of the primary caregiver to deteriorate just as fast.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. The person of concern is late 60s. There are many many details that probably contribute to the mental decline, so I will try to direct them to a doctor who specializes in alzheimers/dementia.

Get their affairs in order, immediately someone needs financial and medical power of attorney,or guardianship.if you don't need it great, thank me later if you do. My wife is a police officer and almost got elderly abuse charges and I almost went to jail just bc we were attempting to control the chaos of her insane bipolar schitzo granny that we are still caring for

My dad went down this path and my mom is now. Checking meds is a good idea, most elderly take so many different things that the interactions aren't predictable. This has been a constant struggle with both my parents. Pretty sure the time for mental exercise is well past as a preventative activity but it can't hurt. Dad retired at 59 and looking back kind of kicked it into mental neutral and I suspect that didn't help his diminishing capacities. Old age can suck and especially if the person is stubborn and/or belligerent. Sometimes it seems the best you can hope for is to prevent them from hurting someone else.

By the way we had to get emergency guardianship which expired after 90 days that cost us $600 when it expired to renew it we would have had to pay 600 again instead we used an online legal service and got all the documentation we needed to assume control of her life, way cheaper than going to the court system. It would blow your mind to the length a law enforcement agency would go to keep you from assisting somebody who 100% could not assist themselves and was being extremely destructive and doing very unheard of behavior for a 70 year old woman .

My heart goes out to anyone who experiences this terrible affliction. Dementia develops differently in folks and can be terrifying. It also is stealing someone's mind, which makes jarlaxle's idea seem better.

My wife treats patients with all forms of dementia, and has many sad stories to tell. We have already dealt with an older aunt who had ALZ, and unfortunately my MIL seems to be developing it.

Tragic...

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
This is why I will eat my shotgun on my 60th birthday.
Yah, there's that. Modern ,very expensive medicine can keep a human"alive" way longer than needed. The book, Logan's Run, set termination at 21. When they made the movie,they upped the age to 30. Isn't assisted suicide legal some place in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back