New Toyota Camry uses 0W-16 or SAE 16 weight motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just learned that new cars from Toyota will recommend 0W-16 or SAE 16 weight motor oil. I searched and couldn't find a thread on this so I am reposting an article on 16 weight motor oil here. This seems interesting:

http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/sae-16-viscosity-grade.php

Quote:
The SAE 16 Viscosity Grade

On April 1, 2013 the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) introduced a new viscosity grade called SAE 16. This is a new high temperature viscosity grade hence it's not 16W just simply 16 or SAE 16. This is the lowest high temerature SAE engine oil viscosity grade yet, replacing SAE 20 in this role. The introduction of this viscosity grade is another step towards motor oils providing better and better fuel economy and such oils will most likely to be first recommended by companies that emphasize fuel economy oils (e.g. Ford, Honda).

When the first SAE 16 oils will appear (likely as 0W16 and 5W16 oils) they will only be suitable to be used in vehicles where the engine is designed to operate with such a low viscosity oil. Just as 5W20 and 0W20 oils these oils will also be unsuitable to be used in older engine designs since it would not provide sufficient wear protection on operating temperature.

The number 16 itself does not have a special meaning it does not point at any specific oil property, it is only the name of the viscosity grade. SAE decided to choose a number that breaks the must-be-divisible-by-5 rule to avoid any mix-up with the winter viscosities. SAE 15 would have been easy to confuse with 15W (even though the very same problem did not influence SAE's decision when SAE 20 was introduced).

With the introduction of SAE 16 the limit on 100 °C viscosity for SAE was changed from 5.6 cSt to 6.9 cSt minimum. SAE 20 oils didn't make use of this interval so far and the limits for SAE 16 partially extend to this segment. For an oil to be of SAE 16 viscosity grade its viscosity on 100 °C must be between 6.1 and 8.2 mm2/s and its HTHS viscosity must be at least 2.3 mPa*s.

The official SAE viscosity grades are now 0W, 5W, 10W, 15W, 20W, 25W, 16, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60. SAE is considering introducing the 12, 8 and 4 viscosity grades when there will be demand by the car manufacturers. This also outlines the likely direction of the lubricant development: oils will become ever thinner but their advanced chemistry must make sure that they still provide the same or better protection as their older, thicker counterparts did.

You can see the designation for 0w-16 in the lower left hand corner of this video about the new Camry when the hood is opened:

https://youtu.be/SpOUrt8sLGE?t=56s

There was a thread about this a little while ago. Someone wrote something funny like 5W20 will be considered a thick oil.

I believe the science is good enough that a 16 weight oil will protect fine.

Then again we have become a throwaway society so maybe we brought it on ourselves to have stuff only last a few years.

What will it be called out on the street? For years xW20 was said to be water thin. This stuff... "has to be packaged with metal weights so it won't float off the shelves!"

Originally Posted By: supton
What will it be called out on the street? For years xW20 was said to be water thin. This stuff... "has to be packaged with metal weights so it won't float off the shelves!"

Haha to drain the oil you remove the filler cap. To refill with oil you just open the containers and it levitates up into the drain plug
laugh.gif

The new Camry manual says that you can use 0w20, but that it should be replaced by 0w16 at the next oil change. I mean, we don't want that thick 0w20 clogging up the piston rings now, do we?

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
0W-20 is the new 20W-50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: paulri
The new Camry manual says that you can use 0w20, but that it should be replaced by 0w16 at the next oil change. I mean, we don't want that thick 0w20 clogging up the piston rings now, do we?

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
0W-20 is the new 20W-50.

Nope, that 0W-20 stuff is just awfully thick!

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I believe the science is good enough that a 16 weight oil will protect fine.

Then again we have become a throwaway society so maybe we brought it on ourselves to have stuff only last a few years.

But stats now show people are keeping their vehicles longer than ever. Remember, 5-20 oils have been called for by engine builders for 15 years or so with engines performing very well.

Can you use 0W-20 in the new Camry?

And does it even have a dipstick to check the level?

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Talk about splitting hairs! Ohh.. look how better my gas mileage is with 0w16 vs 0w20 ROFL!! insanity.

Well, wait a minute, that's exactly what Ford did to make 5W-20 san graal over 5W-30, and their 0.02 or 0.25 percentage fuel economy increase some years ago so !

If it follows the same tread the new oil would be 0w12 or 0w13. Which is a 20% reduction in viscosity just like the 0w16 and 0w20.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
If it follows the same tread the new oil would be 0w12 or 0w13. Which is a 20% reduction in viscosity just like the 0w16 and 0w20.

The next one is 0w8

Baby oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back