Cold running modern diesels...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new VM 2.8 (Duramax 2.8) in the Colorado only ever gets to 78C "engine temperature"..., and most I've been able to push it to is 81C, with a rapid recovery back to 78.

Find it interesting, as obviously the Dexos 2 oil is running a loooong way from what most of us consider "normal" for a 3.5+ HTHS oil.

Find it interesting on the ability to boil off water and unburned fuel.

Pretty sure that it's a NOx control (Oz Duramx 2.8 has nowehere to add blue), but it's really low compared to where I'm used to.

The 6.6s are cold blooded too. To get mine warmed enough to start dropping oil pressure, I have to climb a 13% grade for 10 minutes. DEF use is typically 1L/1000km and the tank hold 28L I'm told.

To avoid DPF issues, I stopped using the fuel tank as a recycle depot to get rid of stale dated 2-stroke, engine oil, hydraulic and transmission fluids.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
My new VM 2.8 (Duramax 2.8) in the Colorado only ever gets to 78C "engine temperature"...,

Isn't "engine temperature" coolant temp? If so, then what is the oil temp?

Originally Posted By: userfriendly

To avoid DPF issues, I stopped using the fuel tank as a recycle depot to get rid of stale dated 2-stroke, engine oil, hydraulic and transmission fluids.

Everything in moderation!

My old International 7.3 IDI (pre-Powerstroke) gets a steady diet of various above mentioned fluids.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Isn't "engine temperature" coolant temp? If so, then what is the oil temp?

If there are "under piston spray jets" - then the oil will exceed 100*C at some point, just maybe not the entire sump at one time.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
My new VM 2.8 (Duramax 2.8) in the Colorado

Interesting how VM now has an agreement with GM..... here, VM has the go-to for small diesels (V6, though) in Dodge/Jeep vehicles. None too terribly reliable from what I'm hearing.

I'm thinking if it has the Duramax name on it, they'll uphold their reputation.

Last edited:
10.gif
10.gif

which actually means I've in the last 3 months bought 2 GM vehicles...with VM engines

couple of weeks ago a Holden Captiva Diesel (made by Daewoo) for my wife, with this engine in it
http://www.vmmotori.com/a-420-sohc/automotive-en/4-cilindri/a-420-sohcen.html

And the Colorado with the Thai Duramax
http://www.vmmotori.com/a-428-dohc/automotive-en/4-cilindri/a-428-dohcen.html

Two Holdens
Two Diesels
Two VM engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Not just diesels. I've noticed a few Hondas and a Mercedes or two have ~170F thermostats.

My Accord stays right at 80c water temp so bulk oil isn't much higher. Supposedly Honda went to a 90c thermostat in 2016 Accords.

Interesting just from a data point of view

my 2017 with the 3.2 pentastar(gas)

Usually runs about:
150f-160f transmission temp.
185-195 coolant temp
oil temp near 200f Measured at the pan
but I only have a couple data points on oil temp The other 2 I've seen many times.

Originally Posted By: 64bawagon
If you want a hot running diesel buy a LLY duramax and put a trailer behind it.

This might be a topic all in itself. lol Why did this particular model have overheating issues anyways? What did they change? I thought the duramax has been the same size and block since like 2000, but their is like 5 or 6 styles

That sure seems a bit cool. My 12.8L Detroit runs 205-210F (96-99C I think) while loafing along on level ground (@ 80k lbs). With an empty trailer (30k lbs) it runs about 200F. Pushing through a considerable wind or climbing a moderate grade it will run 210-215 while loaded.

The Detroit has a variable speed water pump controlled by the engine computer. It limits the impeller speed to the minimum necessary to keep the engine safe. I wonder if this is a common thing among modern engines...I haven't looked into it.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
That sure seems a bit cool. My 12.8L Detroit runs 205-210F (96-99C I think) while loafing along on level ground (@ 80k lbs). With an empty trailer (30k lbs) it runs about 200F. Pushing through a considerable wind or climbing a moderate grade it will run 210-215 while loaded.

The Detroit has a variable speed water pump controlled by the engine computer. It limits the impeller speed to the minimum necessary to keep the engine safe. I wonder if this is a common thing among modern engines...I haven't looked into it.

Maybe that's what they did to accommodate these thinner 10w30 diesel oils they're starting to use now for whatever reason.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: dustyroads

Maybe that's what they did to accommodate these thinner 10w30 diesel oils they're starting to use now for whatever reason.

Well I don't know. My engine runs warmer than anything I've ever had and running thinner oil than ever before. The variable speed water pump is letting things stay as warm as is safe to save energy (as far as I know). The thin oils would only get thinner still in the higher running temps. Unfortunately, I don't know what my oil temps run in the Detroit. Someday I will take care of that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back