2017 J.D. Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kia and Hyundai are really starting to impress me, forever a Toyota guy though. Surprised by its rankings....as well as MINI. The 2 mine's I've had needed new engines sub 30k miles...

Lexus has been at or near the top for many years. I am surprised to see them right below the industry average.

I'm a long time ford and toyota guy. I usually own one of each at any given time. And I'm surprised by this chart. Seem like [censored] to me. They should be swapped imo.

Funny the regular MOPAR bashers haven't commented yet with RAM in between Ford and BMW.

I thought this site was in consensus about that RAM junk!!!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Funny the regular MOPAR bashers haven't commented yet with RAM in between Ford and BMW.

Who bashes RAM specifically? I do see, however, that Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Fiat are wayyyy down the list.

You'd have to be crazy to screw up trucks in the US.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I'm surprised about that. But this is only for initial quality.

Their trucks have always been junk. But I guess now that so little of them is Mopar (Aisin transmissions, ZF Transmissions, not Mopar Axles, Cummins engines, etc) and it's basically the same thing for the past God knows how many years that reliability has to go up. But they still are the least capable of the Big 3 trucks, especially the 1/2 tons.

But good for them for finally figuring out how to build one. Only took them what, 80 years, 2 bailouts, and what 3 owners?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
You can't say that about the RAM 3500 - that's one heavyweight ...

As are the GM and Ford equivalents.

Last edited:
This chart is designed with two things in mind: 1) make the people that own the top ranking brands feel good about themselves and approve this "study" 2) get the people that own the bottom ranking brands upset and dismiss this "study" or seriously question it.

It doesn't matter what brand is where, or whether this supposed study has any merit in reality. As long as two opposing camps are formed and start arguing, thus creating traffic, public awareness etc. That's their goal, create controversy, grab media and public attention and make money doing so. Rinse and repeat.

This survey covers the first 90 days of ownership, only iirc. Nice to be high in the ranking but really doesn't have much bearing on what problems may crop up a few years down the road.

And if this survey is like most others, "problems" may include owner confusion about technology.

JD Power is worthless in my opinion.

I'm into VW's and don't care much for Toyota's. Yes, VW is ranked better than the Toyota by two points in the first 90 days of ownership, but even I know long term Toyota will fair better.

I never understood these rankings. How long is the ownership period? What is considered a "problem"? A few issues with climate control or infotainment programming glitches is a lot different than engine failures.

Interesting that Consumer Reports has had Audi in the top 2 or 3 spots the last few years yet this ranking has them much further down.

I agree that JD P is not worth much. To me the quality of car is measured by how it holds up AFTER the warrant period expires. It not hard to make a car hold together for 36,000 miles. I want to know if the transmission will go out at 50,000 miles or the whole AC system needs to be replaced at 60,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
I agree that JD P is not worth much. To me the quality of car is measured by how it holds up AFTER the warrant period expires. It not hard to make a car hold together for 36,000 miles. I want to know if the transmission will go out at 50,000 miles or the whole AC system needs to be replaced at 60,000 miles.

They do a dependability survey that is 3+ years out. As does Consumers Reports. But most here poo poo them as they don't like the results.

JD does count engine falling out and I can't get my phone to connect the BlueTooth as equally weighted.

That being said, complaints are complaints. The reason for the placement on the list can be influenced in a few ways. I believe the tech focused brands(or more complicated vehicles) can skew the numbers down by giving the buyer a full education of what the car can do, as I am sure Porsche does... This eliminates most of the user induced error in the survey. Then there are other brands that keep the vehicles simple or have drivers that don't care to use the advanced options, so there are no complaints on how those work.

My Ford Sync "works" just fine. It is just awkward and takes a few steps to resume the playing on BT. The BMW on the other hand, is quite aggressive at reconnecting. So aggressive that when my wife was driving and I was following in the truck, the car hijacked my BT connection while I was calling her at a red light. The result was my wife talking to herself. In daily drive, the rapid reconnection allows me to simply hop in, buckle up and drive without worrying about getting my phone connected for entertainment purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back