Using 5w instead of 10w

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodnight all
My car manual states either 10w or 20w, would there be any problems using a 5w40 instead of a 10w40. No negativity.
Would 5w be too thin at start up?

Climate, my climate is so warm 20w flows like water
laugh.gif

Reason i ask too, is that i can get some 5w40 oil at a great price.

No oil is too thin at cold startup. To put it more accurately, every oil is too thick at cold startup.

5W-40 is very similar to 10W-40 in terms of viscosity. It's also synthetic; so, you get the added benefits of a synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
No oil is too thin at cold startup. To put it more accurately, every oil is too thick at cold startup. 5W-40 is very similar to 10W-40 in terms of viscosity. It's also synthetic; so, you get the added benefits of a synthetic.

Exactly, it should be very good oil.

Is it Shell Rotella T6? Chevron Delo?

The 5W and 10W will be around the same viscosity at the ambient temps you see in the Caribbean. The difference between them only becomes apparent at ambient temps well below freezing.

There you go. Most of the above replies do not apply in your environment. If 5W-40 is readily available and the right price, it won't hurt anything.

All cool oils, be they 0W, 5W, or 10W are many times thicker than the 40 is at op temp. But, I have to ask, since you will never see freezing of any kind, why not just run SAE 30 HD or SAE 40 HD and be happy to not have any VII's at all
smile.gif

See this thread for discussion: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4096620/1
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nissan101
Goodnight all
My car manual states either 10w or 20w, would there be any problems using a 5w40 instead of a 10w40. No negativity.
Would 5w be too thin at start up?

Climate, my climate is so warm 20w flows like water
laugh.gif

Reason i ask too, is that i can get some 5w40 oil at a great price.
No oil on the shelf is too low viscosity at start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back