Sorry, another "what battery" post.

OK, another “which battery” question to go along with all the others here.

TLDR: is it worth the extra $65 to get 2 DEKA batteries over 2 JCI batteries?

Full story:

I am needing 2 batteries soon.

My 2002 F150 (Group 65, 650 CCA stock) has a little over 4 year AutoZone Gold (JCI) battery (which is average life down here). It is starting to have issues (standing charge is 12.1v - 12.2v, when starting the truck it goes down to 9.6 v, right at the lower end of “good”). I am taking a few longer road trips next month so plan on replacing before I leave.

My mom’s 2007 Saturn Vue (Group 75, 525 CCA OEM) has a NAPA Legend (Deka) battery that is also just over 4 years old. Not having any problems so far, but she lives alone in the country with it parked outside, and am just wanting to replace it for peace of mind (her first 2 lasted about 3.5 years, so it is time).

I normally just get Advance Auto Gold batteries, since with discount codes they are the cheapest. But there are no codes more than 20% now, so was looking at other places. Down here, lower CCA is better (thicker plates, better heat resistance).

Advance Auto: ~$217 with tax for both
  • Group 65 – 850 CCA, 3 year free replacement warranty (no Pro Rata). $118 (+ tax) after 20% off code.
  • Group 75 – 700 CCA, 3 year free replacement warranty (no Pro Rata). $82 (+ tax) after 20% off code and $20 speed perks.

Walmart: ~$200 with tax for both
  • Group 65 – 700 CCA, 5 year replacement warranty (3 year free, 2 year Pro Rata). $94 + tax
    I momentarily debated their Value battery, but decided against that. For less than twice the cost, I get a much longer warranty as well as probably a better battery.
  • Group 75 – 550 CCA, 5 year replacement warranty (3 year free, 3 year Pro Rata). $90 + tax

Battery Plus: ~$265 with tax for both
  • Group 65 – 750 CCA, 3 year free replacement warranty (no Pro Rata). $135 (+ tax) after 10% of code
  • Group 75 – 690 CCA, 3 year free replacement warranty (no Pro Rata). $108 (+ tax) after 10% of code

So by cost, warranty and availability, Walmart wins. Both are very close to OEM specs. They are Johnson Controls batteries from what I understand.

Advance Auto, not convenient for my mom, not as good a price as they used to be, and much higher CCA than OEM, so longevity may be affected. Also Johnson Control made. I see no advantage of these over Walmart.

Battery Plus, most expensive, not convenient for mom at all and higher CCA than OEM. They are Deka made batteries, which seem to be the top choice for batteries.

I also looked at NAPA, O’Rielly and Autozone. Napa was about the same cost as O'Rielly, around $285 (although both are Deka) and Autozone did not even show the batteries as available, so not sure on the cost, but probably around the same as Advance, as well as being JCI batteries.

After typing all this out, I think I have answered my own question.
Walmart is a quite a bit cheaper, as well as being everywhere and have a better warranty.

Is Batteries Plus Deka (Duracell Ultra Gold) worth the extra $65, "worse" warranty (just no pro rata), and inconvenience for my mom's location?
Batteries Plus also has some Duracell Ultra batteries that are about $50 cheaper and have much closer to OEM CCA, but have just a 2 year warranty. Would these be a good option?

I don't know if this will help you make a decision, but East Penn Manufacturing where Deka batteries are made is not far from where I live. I've been on a tour through their enormous facilities and know several people including a very close friend who work there. The batteries they make are all 100% manufactured in-house...lead casting, case injection molding, assembly, testing, failure analysis, R & D...all of it. Their employees are well paid, have _excellent_ health care, company picnics, yearly trips for family to a local amusement park ...a very decent company to work for.

I can't speak for the other brands but because of what I know and have personally seen, Deka is the only brand of automobile battery that gets my dime.

If you have a membership, you can get the Johnson Controls batteries (Interstate label) at COSTCO or the East Penn-DEKA (Duracell label) at Sam's Club for less with better warranties.

I went through the same exact decision process as you while shopping for a battery for my 2004 Lexus ES330. I ended up with a JCI Wal-Mart battery. It's only 1.5 years old but it's been flawless. Time will tell. But for me even it it lasts one month past free replacement warranty I'm still further ahead than another brand at one month past free replacement warranty because it has the pro rated portion of the warranty and I paid less than competitive batteries.

I would go with the Walmart Value Power batteries. And I did: replaced the nine year old Everstart Maxx in my Caddy with one. $49 versus $109 was an easy choice.

I buy my batteries at COSTCO. The one in the Bronco is a 2007 and it's still hotter than a fire cracker
smile.gif

I have never gotten that good a battery life anywhere else, and been buying batteries since the 1960's ...

With the TX heat, you don't want thinner plates that come with high CCA batteries... but, older cars can develop high resistance, therefore requiring more cranking power than the OEM spec.

I've had great luck with JCI AAP batteries but my only gripe is their Chia Pet posts. I got an East Penn Duracell put in the other day; maintenance-free and not known to fuzz up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: W3DRK
I don't know if this will help you make a decision, but East Penn Manufacturing where Deka batteries are made is not far from where I live. I've been on a tour through their enormous facilities and know several people including a very close friend who work there. The batteries they make are all 100% manufactured in-house...lead casting, case injection molding, assembly, testing, failure analysis, R & D...all of it. Their employees are well paid, have _excellent_ health care, company picnics, yearly trips for family to a local amusement park ...a very decent company to work for.

I can't speak for the other brands but because of what I know and have personally seen, Deka is the only brand of automobile battery that gets my dime.

They are also made in Iowa.

Hard to beat the Everstart Maxx batteries from Walmart when it comes to value/warranty. Top it off with a trickle charger once a month or so and there's no reason it won't last past the 5-year warranty.

Costco interstate batteries are typically $75-$80 ea. , but you have to install them yourself.

The Wal-Mart MAXX battery in my Chrysler is 2.5 years old and is dying. Needs replaced in the next month or so. I've been babying it along on the charger, but I can tell its way down on power. I just replaced my mother in laws Advance Auto Gold battery that was 2.5 years old and flat out dead.

That's not to disparage the battery, because I have never gotten more than 3 years out of a battery in a daily driver down here. The heat down here just kills battery.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The Wal-Mart MAXX battery in my Chrysler is 2.5 years old and is dying. Needs replaced in the next month or so. I've been babying it along on the charger, but I can tell its way down on power. I just replaced my mother in laws Advance Auto Gold battery that was 2.5 years old and flat out dead.

That's not to disparage the battery, because I have never gotten more than 3 years out of a battery in a daily driver down here. The heat down here just kills battery.

Why limp it along on the charger when it has a free 3 year replacement? Just stop by and get a new one.

Here in NJ the Walmart batteries are East Penn Deka built, previously they were Johnson Controls with the vent caps.

Probably different in other parts of the country however.

Back when I lived in FL I had JCI Diehard Golds in my Liberty and they failed every 2-3 years. Same story up here in WI...got an East Penn AGM and it was a way better deal than anything from Autozone etc.

Option 4:
Go to the Intertsate battery store and ask to see their "used" batteries.

The last one I bought wasn't used at all, and was cheaper than any you mentioned.
It's better battery, too!

warranty, price,and convenience.
that is if you buy new.
interstates "blems" or used can be a good deal.
i still have an 8d gel blem from interstate from 13 years ago.
it was a $400.00 battery then and i got it for $75.00 because a customer made a stink about a scratch on the side.
they often get "stocklifts"and sell em cheap.
thats where they set up a new dealer and credit them for the stock they have from another brand.they usually just want these gone and can be a great deal.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I buy my batteries at COSTCO. The one in the Bronco is a 2007 and it's still hotter than a fire cracker
smile.gif

I have never gotten that good a battery life anywhere else, and been buying batteries since the 1960's ...

time for a new battery

Originally Posted By: W3DRK

Good to know. Stuff like this maters to me.

Back