Removing rust stains from paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a vehicle (older van) in which some rust near the bottom of the window has run down and stained the paint below it. It's not under the paint, just a stain. I've tried Goo Gone (I think that's what it's called), soap, and a few other around-the-house cleaners. No luck.

Any thoughts?

I haven't. I've never used a clay bar or polish. Maybe I should check some YouTube videos?

I have some 3M brand Swirl mark remover (a very fine polish) that should work well.

I removed a layer of rattle can graffiti from a cousin's new car with it. Perfect job. He though he'd have to get the door repainted.

I use a random orbital sander with polishing pads and quit as soon as possible. I think you could overdo it.

Lime away is a product that removes hard water stains etc. What it is for the most part is citric acid. I buy water softner(citric acid powder)cleaner powder for use in washing machine, dish washer and does a fantastic job of removing tarnish from pistol and rifle brass with a hot soak. The lime away ad on tv shows the removal of iron stain from the side of a house. But latex paint is much more porous as well as cement block.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Can you post a picture of the stain?

I would try a mild polishing compound first.

Here's a photo, it's like this in a few spots. (The dark area is a decal.). The paint is 30 years old, so I don't think whatever clear coat is still there is very strong.

20170621_170206_zpsal66tbze.jpg

I always use Ajax Cleanser with a scrub mitt (has built-in bleach). Wet the area, a big batch of Ajax powder in the palm of a wet mitt and scrub away in circular motions. Always pulls the stains away, removes oxidized paint, and makes the surface ready for a polish or wax.

My 29 year old white big Bronco sits out in all weather. Every spring I spend a day with Ajax and a mitt. Still on the original paint except for the replacement hood. I always get compliments on how nice it looks all summer
smile.gif

I'm curious if the rust stain is just on the surface or has it penetrated into the paint or clearcoat at a molecular level. If it is the second case, then abrasive polishing compounds will probably not be effective.

Products like Super Iron Out are excellent at removing rust stains, but it would be wise to investigate if it is safe for use on paint.

Please follow up with your outcome.

I haven't encountered stains that look quite like that but for spots stuck to the finish I use Auto Finesse Iron Out. I would try a specially-formulated product before using salt and lemon juice on clearcoat you think could be suspect.

I see you're in California. If you're nearby I have iron remover spray, clay bar, and compound. You can swing by and take care of it. Buying all the stuff is expensive especially if you're only going to use it once. Just buy me some beer or something. I'm in Buena Park though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back