Ready to replace my K&N, Recommendations Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello title says it all.

I have had my K&N setup since new in 2008. Ready to be rid of it, but trying to keep prices down. I am considering replacing just the filter and leaving the rest of the K&N setup (filter to TB) in place and looking for a better 4" filter to put on it. OR I can purchase an OEM filter setup.

Goals:

1. Better filtration
2. Maintain performance/mpg's (honestly there may not even be a difference due to computer management)..

Please advise what your thoughts are!

I love my KN, FIPK setup on my truck. I just added a outer dryfilter to the cone (sold by K&N) so I wouldn't have to worry about filtration for my soon move to Utah (dusty). I have heard amsoil sells cone filters to replace the K&N but I couldn't figure out which worked for mine

Pickup an AEM DryFlow filter with a corresponding AEM Filterbag. From my understanding, the bag really helps filter out the super tiny particles and doubles as being water resistant. Not that you should be throwing water at your filter. Been running the setup on my Accord for years without any issues.

AMSOIL sells universal cones that utilize the Donaldson synthetic filter media. That would be my choice.

K&N coming off my "new" used truck. I can hear the intake whoosh and sort of whistle, but I know there is absolutely no performance gain in round-town speeds.

Fortunately, the PO kept the OEM filter housing and fittings, so restoration should not be too bad
smile.gif

I really don't think there are any better filters than OEM filters, they're the best balance between filtering and flow. I've done lots of aftermarket filters (and cold air intakes) on various rigs and never seen a real improvement (including before and after dyno tests). More noise does not equate to more power. Especially with today's computers and adjusting fuel and air on the fly.

Unless you're running a performance chip or adding boost, you won't get any benefit from an aftermarket system. The filters for my truck are $15 on Amazon...not expensive by any means.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
AMSOIL sells universal cones that utilize the Donaldson synthetic filter media. That would be my choice.
Donaldson filters are top of the top . I have seen the filters packed full of dust and when the filter element is removed the intake ducting is clean,

Originally Posted By: redhat
Pickup an AEM DryFlow filter with a corresponding AEM Filterbag.

^^ This, 100% ^^

Originally Posted By: Onug
I really don't think there are any better filters than OEM filters, they're the best balance between filtering and flow. I've done lots of aftermarket filters (and cold air intakes) on various rigs and never seen a real improvement (including before and after dyno tests). More noise does not equate to more power. Especially with today's computers and adjusting fuel and air on the fly.

Unless you're running a performance chip or adding boost, you won't get any benefit from an aftermarket system. The filters for my truck are $15 on Amazon...not expensive by any means.

+1

Id go back to OEM.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: Onug

+1

Id go back to OEM.

+2 Maybe on a track or drag strip an aftermarket air filter might the crucial difference between winning or losing, but for street use the only benefit I see is a K&N makes a nice noise. If you like the noise that is.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
For a cone filter, I would look at Green filter, which is woven cotton based.

Then slap a K&N PreCharger as a pre-filter

I don't see any filtration performance data on those filters
21.gif
Just "down to 5 microns".

The AMSOIL filters are 98% at 2 microns.

The Donaldson media is pretty much the best there is in terms of efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back