Kia 2.0T and 2.4L engine safety recall (SC147)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI - Kia Optima Safety Recall (SC147) for the 2.0T and 2.4L (and others):

Many of us are who are potentially affected are beginning to get the next round of letters from Kia and I must say I've been impressed! My first letter in the fall of last year moved the warranty from 10yr/100K miles (original owners only) to 10years/120K miles for ALL owners (including reimbursing any owners who paid out of pocket).

With the Safety Recall, they have now extended the engine warranty to 15 years and UNLIMITED mileage for ALL owners (original, 2nd, etc.). This is found in the FAQ section, Question #14. This is also a full long-block assembly replacement (stated as such in the letter)! This replacement should have all the improvements this engine series had till the last MY of production (2015 for the Optima 2.0T, etc.).

This is regardless of passing the same "noise" test or not that Hyundai has been doing (with a new dipstick and a free oil change). A rental/loaner car will also be provided if a replacement is needed (from Kia tech on FB).

THIS IS VERY GOOD NEWS!

From the Q&A section of the letter:

Kia SC147 Q&A section (Official)

Last edited:
A new long-block? That's actually awesome for affected owners. Sadly for Hyundai that they have no other option.
Another day, another classic forced-hand mea culpa. Business as usual everyone.
Quote:
A former Hyundai engineer told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that Hyundai was well aware of the Theta II problems, even as they denied it publicly and pushed against a recall.

The engineer, Kim Kwang-ho, was a Hyundai employee for 25 years. After his whistleblowing he was hauled in front of Hyundai’s disciplinary committee and accused of leaking secret corporate information in August 2016.

On the Q&A, question 12: How long will the repair take? Answer: 1 hour. This cannot be to replace the long block? What is it?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
On the Q&A, question 12: How long will the repair take? Answer: 1 hour. This cannot be to replace the long block? What is it?

Update some software and run some snake oil?
36.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Should be similar to Hyundai's inspection program. It involves a tablet that will record the engine sound and listen for any abnormalities. Then they replace the dipstick if the test passes to indicate the test passed. An hour sounds about right... about 30 minutes for the test and another 30 for typical paperwork, waiting for a tech, etc. If the test fails they will order the replacement engine and schedule the install.

More details: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2015/RCRIT-15V568-3933.pdf

I see this as a way for Hyundai/Kia to make sure they out-do all the other MFG's as far as standing behind product. This will vault them into super stardom in some circles and create a legend that they could not buy any other way
smile.gif

It might be expensive in the short run, but it will generate good will for decades, and there will be word-of-mouth driven sales for as far as one can see into the future. Add in the situation with some of their cars being actually pretty good and stylish - it's a home run
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Does this cross over to the Hyundai 132 campaign of the same concern?

Not that we know of yet. It would make sense to do so but Hyundai and Kia are two separate but related entities.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Does this cross over to the Hyundai 132 campaign of the same concern?

Not that we know of yet. It would make sense to do so but Hyundai and Kia are two separate but related entities.

I wonder...

Time will tell

I do know that for some anecdotal reason, even though these engines are on ridiculous backorder, KIA seems to wait longer/have less of them then Hyundai

Neighbor has a '11 Sonata, had the campaign and new dipstick at 40k, by 50k it had used 3 quarts, and one day had a very nonchalant engine seizure

A little over a month later, a new engine was procured, and it's fine

You said it Whiz! Unfortunately doing the right thing seems to make those people targets. Seems many people just want to see everyone else 'just fall in line' than stand up for something. What a world.

Sure - they went all out since KORUS started.
Every box store dumped on with SK middle of the road stuff for cheap ...
I spent two years there - you could never pull this off in their country - another trade deficit escalation the US signed up for ...

Well, it finally happened to me!
cry.gif

She started an occasional slight knock about a month ago that slowly become more constant. I thought (hoped really) that it was the heat shield on my turbo getting loose and that all I need do was to tighten it up. Alas, no. It was "the rattle of death"!

I have many mods and didn't take anything off. I took my extensive maintenance log/paperwork with me but they didn't need it. She failed the test and I will be getting a new long-block replacement. They will move over my existing turbo, high-pressure fuel pump and intake system to the new engine. He even offered to move over ALL my engine mods from the old to the new engine - for free! I also got a new 2019 Kia Optima LX as my free rental car.

The tech was really cool and we talked a lot about the recall and what they are seeing and suspecting is the issue. While the debris issue was likely real in the beginning, the real suspect is the oil pump/balance shaft assembly. Something starts binding, the rotor plate gets bent and the engine likely is not pumping oil as well as it should and this causes the failure from oil starvation. It has happened to perfectly maintained engines (like mine) with both low and high miles. HOPEFULLY, they have figured this out and have a new, redesigned unit in place for the long-block. All internals are new and of the latest versions (2015 is the last MY for this engine in production), while the block itself might be new or might be re-manufactured and fully inspected. I was also told that the new engine will have unlimited miles and unlimited years for its warranty - something I was totally not expecting!

So really, I got a "Golden Ticket" with the situation! The time-frame could be a few weeks to four months due to the back-logged nature of the replacement. I'll keep everyone posted.
banana2.gif

Update: I was just told today that my new engine has arrived and they are starting the job. I will likely get it back next week! SWEET!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
[I was also told that the new engine will have unlimited miles and unlimited years for its warranty - something I was totally not expecting!

Get this in writing.

What year is your car?

Originally Posted by Nick1994

What year is your car?

Taking an extra 5 seconds to click on his user profile would have answered your question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back