Adapter to run a larger diameter filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically I am looking for a plate to make a smaller diameter gasket size base work with a wider o ring, one larger than the base.
I picture a plate with a rubber gasket on the engine side and a flat surface on the filter side. No threads at all.

Last edited:
I know my MagnaFilter "plate" allows use of various OD filters ... thread must be the same ...

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
That's double the chance of gasket failure, which could lead to engine failure.

+1

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
That's double the chance of gasket failure, which could lead to engine failure.

+1

Fuel filters don't usually cause engine failures. Just engine fires.

And who's scared of them?

Last edited:
For something like that, you would have to design it and have it machined yourself. It's leak-prone, as you won't be able to change the gasket every time you change the oil filter.

Just research for the largest oil filter that fits and you will be fine. Pick a synthetic one for even better performance.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
For something like that, you would have to design it and have it machined yourself. It's leak-prone, as you won't be able to change the gasket every time you change the oil filter.
Why not? When you make it, get a bunch of plate-to-engine gaskets and go ahead and change it. Or, you might be able to seal it to the block by degreasing both surfaces really well, and using a form-a-gasket to glue the plate to the engine.

If you're really adventuresome, you can always JB-Weld the plate to the engine block.

I'm thinking perhaps this thread should be moved to the proper subforum. He's looking for a way to go with a bigger FUEL filter, but has posted this in the OIL filter subforum.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I'm thinking perhaps this thread should be moved to the proper subforum. He's looking for a way to go with a bigger FUEL filter, but has posted this in the OIL filter subforum.

He said it was a fuel filter. Perhaps it could be moved to the other-filters or maintenance sections.

I wouldn't mess with fuel filters for obvious reasons mentioned by other posters.

I don't see the issue with another gasket. Every time anyone here adds a bypass, second oil, coolant, etc filter, it adds a gasket. If it were dangerous, all the diesel kits to add filtration would be out of business and filter bases would cost as much as tires.

I want to use the two fuel bowls with drains, heaters and water in fuel sensors that I own. I may just sell them and move on to something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back