Best Impact Gun for removing rusted bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
After struggling for four hours yesterday removing rusted bolts on my car using hand tools, I've decided that it's time to make a tool upgrade.

I have a 5 gallon Craftsman air compressor for an air source. I've also seen battery-powered impact guns, but don't know too much about them.

I need something that can remove a rusted bolt on a car driven through 10+ northeast winters. I guess the higher the torque rating, the better? Keep in mind I snapped an adapter as well as a socket yesterday just removing the wheel lugs.

School me! I'm not looking to spend a fortune here, but I saved a few hundred bucks doing the labor myself, so let's use that as a budget.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would make sure the compressor is NOT too low of a cfm to work the air tool.

I know a few people who have the 1/2'' drive harbor freight electric impacts. They seem to work good for what they are (low rated capacity).

I have a DeWalt 1/2" electric (corded) impact gun I use for 99% of rusty stuck bolts. Bought it rebuilt off ebay for under $80 I believe. I have a Craftsman air powered impact for the big stuff, but that has only happened a few times. The electric works awesome and eliminates the whole compressor need.

Hf earthquake stood up to semi truck repair ,it died under a 100ton press that leaked down lol....
Milwaukee m18 fuel 1/2 in drive battery impact is one bad boy , buying that is cheaper than buying a new compressor and their batteries work in a variety of tools

Last edited:
FWIW, the 5 gallons compressor is too small.

Check Youtube on how you can expand the compressor capacity with additional air tank.

Or you can buy a 20 gallons compressor from HF.

There are also a lot of used IR Impact Wrench on Ebay, once in a while, you will find an unknown IR model that nobody's bidding.

I have a Harbor Freight Earthquake impact that I bought about 13 years ago. Has been a great impact. Just recently replaced it with this one
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-2-in-800-ft-lbs-Impact-Wrench-H4480/203458750
Gotta say that the Husky one is just a bit better than the Earthquake. Cannot comment on the new generation Earthquakes though. The one I have is a different design. Butg I highly recommend both

Don

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Is there an electric one that would work that runs on a standard outlet?

There are, I have one from Canadian tire, 7 or 8 amps and 280-300ft-lbs. Any lug I've tried isn't making it work at all, and it took off some big pinch bolts off the struts on my old Neon with a couple of second of back and forth.
Electrics are big and heavy so not ideal for under the hood stuff, but for lugs and the odd job, they do work.
I haven't had the desire to get anything better anyways.

My Milwaukee 18v FUEL series impact has been amazing.

Rips through crank bolts, CV axle bolts and whatever else I've thrown at it; sometimes without a fully charged battery!

I have an old Japanese made Ingersoll Rand 1/2" impact at home. It's not the most powerful impact. I cranked up the PSI higher on my air compressor
doing a timing belt job. The crank bolt wouldn't budge at the factory setting of 125 PSI, it did at 140.

A good start to getting loose rusted bolts as someone stated is to start with some penetrating oils. PB blaster or home brew of ATF with acetone and some heat(heat first or the resulting fire will remove the whole project:)) goes along way

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
My Milwaukee 18v FUEL series impact has been amazing.

Rips through crank bolts, CV axle bolts and whatever else I've thrown at it; sometimes without a fully charged battery!

I have the big Dewalt 899 and the smaller Milwaukee 2755 fuel and agree with you the new brushless impacts are awesome! The only bad about the high torque models is their size and weight. I haven't found anything yet that has defeated my Dewalt, it either comes off, breaks or strips in a few minutes. I might still get mad but I am not worn out and angry. For around $350 or less the high torque Dewalt or Milwaukee will do more than a many of air guns will on a smaller compressor, then you have a battery system that will let you add a lot of other quality tools to your arsenal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NStuart
Hf earthquake stood up to semi truck repair ,it died under a 100ton press that leaked down lol....
Milwaukee m18 fuel 1/2 in drive battery impact is one bad boy , buying that is cheaper than buying a new compressor and their batteries work in a variety of tools

The Harbor Freight Earthquake impact will work fine, in homeowner use, for the next 30 years. Doesn't need replacement batteries, and just works. That M18 Fuel is going to need new batteries every 5-7 years, and will be obsolete in 12-15 years, necessitating replacement. He does need a bigger compressor, but he can get a 15-20 gallon unit for about $100, perhaps less if used. Its cheaper and less hassle long term to get air tools.

My compressor is 18 years old, and will still likely be using it in another 18 years. My earthquake impact ratchet is perhaps 5 years old, but I believe I will still be using it for many years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back