Best wax applicator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this has been discussed to no end,but curiosity has gotten the best of me. What's the best off the shelf (Walmart,Autozone,etc) wax applicator to use for applying the wax? Not for a polish,but a wax only,so nothing abrasive. I use Surf City Barrier Reef wax. I've always used a microfiber towel to apply,and an old soft worn out t-shirt to buff if off.

The foam applicator pads from Walmart are fine. They are cheap and absorb liquid wax just fine.

You can even buy a $25 electric wax spreader at Walmart that will apply a uniform, thin coat of wax. Then put on the microfiber bonnet to buff off the wax. It's actually kind of fun to do this way. And so much quicker and easier. Saves the arm from all those repetitive motions.

If you're going hand-application, then the best way to go is a decent microfiber pad.

Can't go wrong with these at $5.99 for a set of 6 at Walmart..

Same price on Amazon.com too

... If you want to go a little beefier, MicrofiberTech sells these really nice pads

... and then, of course, remove with a quality microfiber towel. Never use an 'old' t-shirt to remove, unless you want to mar your finish.

My preference for wax/sealant application, however, is to use my DA Orbital, and a clean red or black finishing pad. Better coverage, less tiring, and faster.

i perfer the block sponge style over the circle pads. a bit easier to hold and you have the whole side against the paint.

agree that you ahouldny use a tshirt as it cannot hold much residue. microfiber towel.
also to be honest though, for removal i dont use a "quality" mf just a new one from costco that i consider disposable and medium or low quality.

Microfiber towels for me get reused but not washed. always brand new detailing like glass or paint->reused for dirty stuff like wheels or tires->then rags for oil or engine or parts >then trash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'm sure this has been discussed to no end,but curiosity has gotten the best of me. What's the best off the shelf (Walmart,Autozone,etc) wax applicator to use for applying the wax? Not for a polish,but a wax only,so nothing abrasive. I use Surf City Barrier Reef wax. I've always used a microfiber towel to apply,and an old soft worn out t-shirt to buff if off.

Which SCG Barrier Reef wax is it? Best applicator will depend upon that IMO.

If paste, use a foam pad lightly misted with water and spin pad on wax to liquefy a thin film to apply to each panel.

If liquid use any applicator on hand that is meant for the task.

If spray don't use applicator, but spray onto panels and gently spread with a plush MF towel

Meguiars foamy pads, have a ton of them.
thumbsup2.gif

Meguairs even coat applicators. Any high quality mf applicator will work. And please....stop using an old t shirt to buff the wax off

If you use non-MF towels, or an old T-shirt in this case, you are slowly but surely swirling the clear coat. Continued swirling over time eventually results in something like this

I use MF wax applicators and have been for about 10 years now, give or take. So far so good, with regard to eliminating swirl marks on good or properly prepared paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back