CarMax scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend's son and daughter-in-law are in the military and stationed in Seattle. Her son was appointed base commander at a different post. He has gone to his new duty station and his wife has been left with the task of packing up the home and selling the car. They had their car shipped to Belgium, courtesey of the U.S. Govt, while they were stationed there and then back to the U.S. once they returned. My friend stated that the car booked for $19k. Not sure if this is retail or what. In any event, she was told by CarMax that since the vehicle had been exported, they can only offer her $8k because "something could have happened to it" while it was overseas. Needless to say that she brought the car back home. Sounds to me like the dealership thought they had a "dumb woman" that they could take advantage of and try to steal the car from her. I believe that businesses in military towns, in general, try to take advantage of military families because they often know that people being relocated elsewhere often have to liquidate assets quickly.

They weren't taking advantage of her,that's just how Carmax does business. They're ripoff artists.

Carmax offers what they can sell it for at auction and make money. If you want top dollar you clean it up, post it for sale, and do all the worked required for that. If you want to sell it quick and be done then places like carmax do that.
Its not a scam, thats just business.

Seeing that a car left the country and returned is indeed a red flag. At that moment the car became a wholesale piece in their eyes, and rightfully so. I wouldn't buy a car that left the country and returned.

Blue book value means very little. It's why alot of insurance companies don't want to use it and go by area sales of a comparable vehicle. A 4x4 isn't going to sell good in New York City as it would in Minnesota for example.
Understand companies like CarMax gauge profit on alot of factors and want a profit margin of 50% or greater and you got your answer. Alot of risk buying cars from people, re marketing and re-selling plus alot of hands to touch the money.
Is it really a surprise they bid low, it's like the Pawn Shop of vehicles.

I took my Subaru in for Carmax for an appraisal. They offered a little less than high trade in. I traded in the car at the Hyundai dealership-for $500.00 more than what Carmax offered, when I purchased a brand new Santa Fe XL Limited.

So-I would hardly call the Carmax offer a "ripoff".

I have other neighbors who have sold cars to Carmax and bought elsewhere. They have stated Carmax offered them a "fair" amount for their car.

The statement of a profit of 50% or more is ludicrous.

There isn't anyone on this board who wouldn't be leery of purchasing a car that has been shipped to the other side of the world-and back again. Carmax is no exception.

Last edited:
My experience with Carmax. I tried to buy a 1995 300ZX from them. Advertised as "mint collector condition" in their ad. I drive up there to look at it. Trim was dry rotted,driver's leather seat was split and cracked all over the place,and to put the icing on the cake,the a/c didn't work. They wanted top retail value for it. I gave them a cash offer only $1000 off their "asking" price,which would've covered a new a/c compressor. The douche bag interrupted me and arrogantly said "Oh we're a no haggle dealership". With my offer they still would've come out ahead in the deal. What an [censored] clown.

The issue is that since it left the country, any accidents and repairs would not likely be on a carfax report.
I bought an 8 passenger 2009 Sienna from carmax because they actually had them. None of my local dealers (heck in my whole state) had one.
It was and is a good car. Paid a little more but i got what i wanted.
They offered $3,000 on our subaru. I got $6,000 for it by selling it Craig's list.
Point is they are not ripping her off but she needs to go elsewhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My experience with Carmax. I tried to buy a 1995 300ZX from them. Advertised as "mint collector condition" in their ad. I drive up there to look at it. Trim was dry rotted,driver's leather seat was split and cracked all over the place,and to put the icing on the cake,the a/c didn't work. They wanted top retail value for it. I gave them a cash offer only $1000 off their "asking" price,which would've covered a new a/c compressor. The douche bag interrupted me and arrogantly said "Oh we're a no haggle dealership". With my offer they still would've come out ahead in the deal. What an [censored] clown.

They are a no haggle dealership. many have come on here complaining Carmax wouldn't take their offer-when you know before parking your car in their lot-that isn't the way they do business. They have a 30 day limited warranty-and a 5 day money back policy. Obviously, you found the other things on the car acceptable-or you wouldn't have offered anything for it.

So-the question is-Did you ask them to fix the air conditioner prior to possibly taking delivery of the car?

I wouldn't expect those who change their own oil to really like the way Carmax does business.

Last edited:

It's not the salesman's fault. CarMax is indeed a no-haggle dealership. That's corporate policy. The salesman has no power or authority to go over corporate's head and sell it for below asking price.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
It's not the salesman's fault. CarMax is indeed a no-haggle dealership. That's corporate policy. The salesman has no power or authority to go over corporate's head and sell it for below asking price.

The salesman have little if any authority to reduce prices but the managers do. A friend went to trade in an Accord and was offered $9500 for it. They were able to get the offer increased by $2500 to $12000. The car was later listed for $16,900. This was a mint condition loaded V6 Accord that needed nothing to be put on their lot. It was owned by a Honda master technician.

Also if they have a hot, newer sports car available during the summer time, that just came in they will stick to their price. Esp if it's at the beginning of the month. Now take the same car during winter time that they've had a few months and it's the end of the month, YES they will sell it at wholesale, for a loss or thousands less than what it's being advertised for. The car to them is a commodity. If it's been lingering a while they will want to move it along.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

They are a no haggle dealership. many have come on here complaining Carmax wouldn't take their offer-when you know before parking your car in their lot-that isn't the way they do business. They have a 30 day limited warranty-and a 5 day money back policy. Obviously, you found the other things on the car acceptable-or you wouldn't have offered anything for it.

So-the question is-Did you ask them to fix the air conditioner prior to possibly taking delivery of the car?

I wouldn't expect those who change their own oil to really like the way Carmax does business.

Yep,they said as-is no exceptions. A car in Tx without a working a/c is pretty much unsellable. I knew they were a no-haggle dealership before I went to look at the car,but they described it as in collector condition,mint,etc. No mention of the a/c not working and of course they didn't post pictures of the dry rotted trim and tears in the leather,or I wouldn't have wasted my time with them.

Like it or not, CarMax and a lot of stealership always lowball when they are buying a car.
They adjusted the trade-in value as you buy a new car from them.

Try CL or person to person sales and you will at least get 2x as much.

what is the car?

year model miles and zip or closest biggest city. yahoos here will quickly find you comparable listings

is the ops issue that carmax gave a lowball number or does he really feel thst if the person was not a woman or not military they would have gotten a different offer.

the first thing is just how world works. you are paying for convenience and the value of the car to them is not the same as the value to a different buyer. But to find the buyer you have to do the work to sell the car.

the second charge is a lot more serious accusation and speaks of possivle mental issues with the op or opa friend. It appeara to be a bit of a persecution complex and thinking somehow you are a victim all the time and not getting a fair deal.

Logically, this isnt what hapened here because they didn't change the offer. They think its worth 8k to them no matter if shes a woman or military or what.
if you feel they wouldve gone much much higher just because ahe was a woman or whatever, money speaks. They wouldve raised the price and not let the deal get away if 10k was on thr table to be made regardless of gender or occupation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
what is the car?

year model miles and zip and biggest ciry. yahoos here will quickly find you comparable listings

Or Nadaguide.com, kbb.com, edmunds.com etc. It's really no mystery what a car is really worth.

When I was selling a 2014 Rav4, Carmax offered $4600 less than Beepi.

Beepi wrote me a check on the spot for fair market value.

I received notice a few months ago that Beepi has since gone bankrupt, yet carmax is thriving.

Glad that check cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back