Shopping for a transmission cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the market for a transmission cooler for my 2008 Suburban with the 4L60E. This comes after our first travel trailer tow with this particular rig. Normal ATF operating temp range is 180-200 degrees, per the manual. I topped 230 up the longest, hardest pull (about five miles uphill) in 92 degree ambient heat.

I haven't bought a transmission cooler before. Anything you suggest? Anything I should steer clear of? I'll do the install myself. Ideally, the budget would be $75 or less.

Thanks in advance.

Here's my set up. Bypassed the engine radiator. Used to tow a 16' enclosed trailer for work everyday with 70/30 hwy/city doing 450kms a day. While in the city temps never went past 75c. I also threw in amsoil torque drive atf!

Last edited:
If you want to do it n the cheap look for a factory combined radiator/oil cooler - it works for manufacturers so it'll work for you.
Mocal&thermostat is better though.

My AC works perfectly! When my engine fan turns on it really helps the trans temps too lol! Doing a trans cooler like this is the cats [censored] to keep things cool!

Surprised your engine doesn't overheat with all that hardware blocking airflow into the radiator. I would go with a H.D. cooler downstream from the factory cooler in the radiator, feeding back into the transmission. I went with a Hayden and it was below 75 dollars and took an hour to install.

Last edited:
In Alberta and north yes, go down to Texas and I have my doubts.There is a such thing as overkill

Last edited:
Dex 6 is good for 275 degrees. This subject comes up every summer over on the truck boards. I tow all over the Roockies on the stock cooler as shown in "bigjakechevy" first post without issue.

Does it get above 200-yes. But it's nothing to worry about and cools right down on the down hill side.

On my last truck (2011 Silverdao)-I drained out the fluid at 50K-with half of those miles towing. And the fluid still looked nice and red.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
wow nice set up. but does your AC still work good with those coolers in front of the condenser like that?
have you seen the new trucks? They stack all kinds of coolers in front of thev adiator these days.

Last edited:
HawkeyeScott:

Does your Suburban have the factory trans cooler, as shown in the middle of the second photo above?

(It seems like BigJakeChevy is using both the factory auxiliary cooler and a new one, but not the in-radiator cooler.)

I have always heard good things about Tru-Cool coolers. I think the B&M-branded plate coolers are from the same manufacturer.

Tru Cool Trans Coolers

Your budget would cover a good cooler, but not a fan. Ram air will work once you're moving, though.

A pan with a drain plug would make maintenance easier. I would pay/save for that before an auxiliary fan.

You can put more than that in front in front of the condenser & radiator & it'll still work, as long as it's all kept clean & bug-free. The GMC C3500 in my sig has an aux trans cooler AND a factory oil cooler in front of the condenser & radiator, A/C still works fine, it just kicks the fan clutch on occasionally on long uphill runs when towing in hot weather.

Keep in mind that placing stuff in front of the radiator doesn't really block the airflow if there's some space (half inch or so, maybe more) between them. Does it reduce airflow? Sure, but usually not enough to worry about.

It would truly be a marginally designed factory cooling system to be rendered inadequate by a couple of mounting straps placed in front of the radiator!

I placed a aftermarket full flow spin on filter kit downstream of the Radiator on my 1998 F150 about a decade ago.
I put a new FL1A style filter on it every year, and top it off with a fresh Quart of Maxlife (or Mercon V as now I am out of my Maxlife Stash).

Adds filtration and volume to the truck, it does get hot to the touch, but I don't tow much.
Just something else to consider when speaking of extra volume to spread out the heat.

Originally Posted By: BigJakeChevy
Here's my set up. Bypassed the engine radiator.

My aux cooler looks like this one, But I did *NOT* bypass the in-tank cooler.

Mine goes:

Trans -> In-tank cooler -> Factory "tow package" cooler -> Aux cooler -> Spin-on filter -> Trans

Look at TruCool LPD (Low Pressure Drop) - they bypass when fluid is cold - and can be mounted in different orientations.
Most OEM's say install after factory cooler (so you add more cooling).
With any grill based cooler - spacing it tight to the other radiator/cooler(s) will insure it will get air flow generated by the the fan(s) when moving slow or sitting.
(Important to off-road vehicles for example).

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I've mounted big transmission coolers in front of radiators and AC condensors before. Didn't make any difference in engine cooling in hot South Florida.

Likewise. But for most ordinary applications GM makes a wonderful small flat plate style with a nifty bracket that we have never failed to get to fit almost anything. Used to be under 100 bucks, but I haven't bought one in years as we get them on all our trucks OEM now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back