Applying Grease to the Ears of Disc Brake Pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: cb_13
I do not lube anything other than the slide pins unless requested to do so by the customer.

Thats Scary.

Why? Thats the way they come from the manufacturer. I clean the surfaces or replace the clips the pad ears ride on but don't smear grease on them.

I replace many disc pads a year, probably done thousands over the years. I put stuff on pads, and always a lube of some sort on the ears, other stuff on the backing and shims. Some times I get to put pads in vehicles I have done before, and can always tell my own work. But the grease or whatever I put on the ears is never there, it has disapeared as if I never put it on. I still always do it, but in reality I don't think it's needed.

I lube the ears. Never a problem. Lots of track time and daily driver use.
I don't think it really matter to be honest.
Lube the pins and backs of the pads and you are probably good to go.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
NO! it will capture sand and migrate. No Silicone grease either unless its kept by a boot.

If you REALLY want to lube it correctly, put some animal fat on there and bake it in to the iron/steel so it forms a monolayer with the metal. Petro grease wont do this. Only FAE,, Its Like seasoning an iron skillet.

The factory engineered material selection should allow free movement of the parts. I usually just wire brush them.

Great practical tip, thanks.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
If Eric O. does it, I would do it.

Except when he uses the high speed rotary file on the large hub mounting hole of the steering knuckle. He says to take off just the corrosion and not go into the metal, but that's hard to avoid with a rotary file. I would have used a sandpaper flap wheel at a lower speed on a straight air drill. Less aggressive and a broader contact patch to avoid digging into the soft aluminum of the steering knuckle.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I replace many disc pads a year, probably done thousands over the years. I put stuff on pads, and always a lube of some sort on the ears, other stuff on the backing and shims. Some times I get to put pads in vehicles I have done before, and can always tell my own work. But the grease or whatever I put on the ears is never there, it has disapeared as if I never put it on. I still always do it, but in reality I don't think it's needed.

On my daily drivers I find I need to do it about twice a year. Once a year and it seems dry, but if I touch up spring/fall it'll have some left on the ears.

I find it pretty necessary to do, otherwise I find the pads will get stuck. So at least once a year I like to bust apart all the brakes. Twice is preferable though.

Originally Posted By: supton

On my daily drivers I find I need to do it about twice a year. Once a year and it seems dry, but if I touch up spring/fall it'll have some left on the ears.

I find it pretty necessary to do, otherwise I find the pads will get stuck. So at least once a year I like to bust apart all the brakes. Twice is preferable though.

If you look at a typical new vehicle service schedule, even when the OCI's expanded to 10-15K they still wanted you back at the dealer every 6-7.5K for a tire rotation and safety inspection. In theory they could be touching up the lube on those brakes. Average US car gets 12,000 miles a year, so that's twice a year.

So maybe every tire rotation I should relube the brakes. Something to think about. The wheels are off anyway.

I would do whatever the directions on the pads tell you to do. I typically will apply syl-glyde when it does require any greasing

Here is Raybestos technical reminder that was inside the box of Raybestos Professional Grade semi-metallic brake pads for my Toyota pickup. These pads do have adhesive shims.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
http://www.rav4world.com/pdf/T-TT-0132-11.pdf

I only use Dow Corning Molykote M77 on any brake job I do from now on. Honda 08798-9010 M77 MOLY PASTE is the equivalent.

This is really good [censored], and is what we use, except for Brembo calipers. There is a special Brembo copper brake lube that is thick as [censored]. I use the Brembo lube on my 1 series, and moly on the Civic.

The moly paste is an extreme pressure lubricant, and nearly impossible to wash off. Don't get it on your clothes.

Last edited:
I lube the ears.

Eric O. also convinced me to switch over to the purple goo for brakes instead of anti seize.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

So maybe every tire rotation I should relube the brakes. Something to think about. The wheels are off anyway.

^^ That's what I do at rotations or winter/summer tire change over. Also lets me look at the condition of the brake and suspension system. Catch any problems before it grows.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: supton

If you look at a typical new vehicle service schedule, even when the OCI's expanded to 10-15K they still wanted you back at the dealer every 6-7.5K for a tire rotation and safety inspection. In theory they could be touching up the lube on those brakes. Average US car gets 12,000 miles a year, so that's twice a year.

Every 10k I check/strip and clean the brakes on my car. rears usually can go longer, but fronts can use the cleaning. Nothing is ever seized, but dust builds up and impedes free travel of brake pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back