Valvoline Max Life vs Castrol Edge High Mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am trying to get opinions on these 2 oils, currently using Valvoline Max Life 10W40 and am thinking about my next oil change, saw a VOA that seemed pretty promising for Castrol Edge High Mileage 10W40. What do you guys think? Anyone seen a black stone labs VOA for the castrol oil?

Oil is for a 1987 Honda CRX Si with just over 199,000 miles.

For reference:

VOA for Valvoline Max Life 10w40:
29958d632534469ed2ca96f1213e7688.jpg

VOA for Castrol Edge High Mileage 10w40, didn't see a Black Stone Labs one:
Edge_HM_10w40_report1.png

Text for Castrol
Silicon 5.4
Potassium 2.2
Water (%)
Boron 370
Barium 0.0
Calcium 3097
Magnesium 10
Molybdenum 75
Sodium 2.8
Phosphorus 700
Sulfur 3068
Zinc 738
Visc@40°C 91.52 cSt
Visc@100°C 14.6 cSt
Visc Index 166
Oxidation --- ---
TAN 1.62
TBN 10.0

Iron 1.2
Nickel 0.5
Chromium 0.1
Titanium 14
Copper 0.0
Aluminum 2.8
Tin 0.0
Lead 0.0

Last edited:
That is a lot of calcium in the Edge... not great for some applications.

The castrol is a bit harder to find for me and seems more expensive.

My plan would be to use M1 10w40 as its more commonly available, not super high in calcium, moderately priced, and is a full synthetic. I believe the Valvoline is a blend?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
That is a lot of calcium in the Edge... not great for some applications.

The castrol is a bit harder to find for me and seems more expensive.

My plan would be to use M1 10w40 as its more commonly available, not super high in calcium, moderately priced, and is a full synthetic. I believe the Valvoline is a blend?

Why would calcium be not so great?

Here's Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W40 from 2011, is it still the same?
e64702-001.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd choose the Castrol.

Seconded. Max Life has always had a stellar reputation but it's never impressed me in any of my applications. It doesn't run quieter, it doesn't swell seals or noticeably slow down minor leaks, it doesn't appear to do any sort of intense cleaning.

However, I've seen these benefits to one degree or another with Castrol GTX and Edge High Mileage. They seem to perform as well as Royal Purple HMX (the only other HM oil I've had success with) but at a fraction of the cost.

Originally Posted By: BironDanmum
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd choose the Castrol.

Seconded. Max Life has always had a stellar reputation but it's never impressed me in any of my applications. It doesn't run quieter, it doesn't swell seals or noticeably slow down minor leaks, it doesn't appear to do any sort of intense cleaning.

However, I've seen these benefits to one degree or another with Castrol GTX and Edge High Mileage. They seem to perform as well as Royal Purple HMX (the only other HM oil I've had success with) but at a fraction of the cost.

I think your right, my engine is burning oil and I'm not sure it's doing much. The VA for Maxlife looks rather underwhelming, maybe I'm not seeing it.

Maxlife also comes in a full syn... Remember it takes a few OCI's to see any results in a HM oil. Maxlife has always performed well for me in many older higher mileage vehicles. I have tried Mobil 1 HM and it did not seem to work any better then Maxlife and actually it never helped with minor leaks or oil burning.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Maxlife also comes in a full syn... Remember it takes a few OCI's to see any results in a HM oil. Maxlife has always performed well for me in many older higher mileage vehicles. I have tried Mobil 1 HM and it did not seem to work any better then Maxlife and actually it never helped with minor leaks or oil burning.

Not in 10w40 I believe.

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

Not in 10w40 I believe.

Your right, 10w40 is going to be Maxlife Synthetic Blend.

Anyways it's hard to make a decision, I'm thinking Maxlife because I'm going to do some short interval changes for cleaning purposes.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Try the 10w-30

Not exactly the best thing to use on my 1987 Honda CRX Si with 199,000 miles on it, the manual says to use 10W40 for my type of weather, which means I don't go below 0 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back