In general - Autolite plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I make a habit of checking the general state of tune on most vehicles that come into my shop. Certainly, I've seen well-done plugs of all brands, but it seems that Autolite plugs (which account for at least 30%, maybe closer to 50% when the plugs aren't OE) always have more electrode wear without corresponding external indication of age than other brands, and I seem to get as much or more improvement after replacing a set of plugs (I use NGK whenever possible) when Autolite is what came out vs. other brands. Is it just my own dislike of cheap parts and the kind of people that put them in (and don't get them tight, or get them too tight, or compliment them with cheap filters, or... I digress) or are Autolite plugs really a poor quality part in general?

I have used them in the past, but only their copper plugs for ~20,000 - 30,000 miles. No problems with them in that time frame.
I have read of many problems of Autolite Platinum and Iridium plugs.
I don't use them anymore.

Fords only get Motorcraft.
GM get Delco or Bosch.
Asian, usually NGK or Denso.
I know for a long time my Dodge/Chrysler stuff ran well on Champ plugs, but it has been a long time since I have done plugs in one.

I've been running 16 Autolite XP plugs that were $2 / plug after rebate when I bought them for 2 years now in all climates from the Great Lakes to deep South Texas with zero problems. Originally warranted for 7 years & unlimited miles at time of purchase, now lifetime warranty. Zero complaints from me. Guess you don't like me. I run Fram Tough Guard air filters and middle or top tier oil filters, and don't see a difference in transmission filters for my truck except some of the Asian ones now have red (silicone?) ADBV instead of black nitrile in the spin on element. Currenyly installed is ATP B-245 I caught on a weird pricing cycle on Amazon for $12. Oil has typically been PPPP since I bought it. Coolant was drained & filled with Zerex G-05 if you have an opinion on that - concentrate mixed with distilled water.

Guess you have a few paradigms I don't fit. I like quality but don't see why I should spend more than necessary.

I'm thinking your right...
4AD4957E-CB21-4639-AF35-DD761548E1C8_zpsc6xc8zqr.jpg

Around 20k on the set. Had a random misfire on startup and in general didn't run right. #4 had a U-Shaped crack also. Put Motorcraft's and it runs perfect now. I was always told Autolites and Motorcrafts roll off the same line, I'm having a hard time believing that now.

Originally Posted By: TexasVaquero
This website will always say that bad products are good and that products most "normal, average folks" think are good are actually bad.
That's a glittering generalization.

I use NGKs in my vehicles. Went to buy the Autolite Copper ones for my Liberty once and they were Chinese made. Got the NGKs (OEM) and they were Japan or American, can't remember.

I used to run Autolite plugs exclusively. And I've got a fleet of vehicles to maintain that is costly enough that I actually got a Christmas card from RockAuto several years ago that was hand-signed by about 10 people that I'd never heard of or ever been associated with.
That said, my last three plug changes have seen used Autolite double platinum plugs that have a seen a huge gap. They engines haven't had a misfire and I really didn't notice any performance gains with new plugs. But the gap was much larger (for the miles on the plug) than it should have been.
I have started to experiment with other brands, especially since I've seen new Autolite plugs from questionable COOs.
Motorking, I know Fram and Autolite are not bed partners like they used to be, but since you've bashed filters that come from the Orient, would you care to comment on Autolite plugs made in the Orient?

Last edited:
I use Autolites almost exclusively and have nothing bad to report. I was a little concerned with the transfer of production to Mexico and China but I have not witnessed any quality issues to date. I also will use NGK and Denso from time to time. To be honest, I've never had an issue with any spark plug brand - they all go bang when needed - except for E3. Those are a terrible overpriced and underperforming gimmick plug same with Pulstar.

The Iridium Autolite XP plugs I'm running in my 5.7L Hemi were made in Mexico, which at least is in this hemisphere. Factory Mopar plugs copper plugs were NGK calling for replacement of all 16 plugs every 32K miles. No way that's happening for me!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Autolites work well in the 4.0 jeep...im on the fence since they are made in china now.

You are so right! I have had three Jeep 4.0 over the years and all ran better on Autolite plugs? Don't know on the newest ones either.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I have used them in the past, but only their copper plugs for ~20,000 - 30,000 miles. No problems with them in that time frame.
I have read of many problems of Autolite Platinum and Iridium plugs.
I don't use them anymore.

Fords only get Motorcraft.
GM get Delco or Bosch.
Asian, usually NGK or Denso.
I know for a long time my Dodge/Chrysler stuff ran well on Champ plugs, but it has been a long time since I have done plugs in one.

+1 This has always been my thoughts towards plug replacement

I have been running them for many years with good results. I have a set of double platinum in my jeep right now.

I'd get some anti-seize on the threads.

Also measure the plug gap and see how it compares to spec.

All plugs will burn a wider gap, even Iridium if you wait long enough!

In my case, knowing plugs will stay in the engine for 100K miles, I convert the
metric gap to inches and use a machinist's feeler gauges to set gap
.001" tighter, that means I'll never have a misfire unless something else goes wrong.

Most of the plugs I'm forming my opinion on were platinum or iridium. I don't put coppers in much of anything MY 2000 and up - it's hard enough to get the customer in every 30-40K to replace copper plugs to start with, and it's a better value for them. That's how I roll. I'll try to keep an open mind about Autolites, but at the same time won't quit installing NGK's.

Autolite plugs are made in China and Mexico, while Denso and NGK are made in Japan (a small percentage of them re US-made, mostly when they're the OE supplier in American-nameplate cars). Champion also comes from Mexico, except their iridium plugs which are US- and UK-made. Bosch spark plugs come from Germany, but they're only good in cars they're OE on. Aftermarket Boschs suck.

Another case against Autolite is their idiotic 2-piece spark plug in the 5.4L F150, the ones prone to breaking off inside the head. That would NEVER happen with NGK! At least Bosch is going to make an iridium for it soon.

Are the Motorcraft plugs actually different than the Autolite-branded ones? I know that Autolite makes almost every Motorcraft plug, but that doesn't necessarily make them the same, although they could be. Does any other automaker use Autolite as OE anymore? (this is similar to the Motorcraft oil filters made by Purolator; they're not 100% the same as a Purolator-branded filter, even though they are very close to a P1, and they have torn like the Puro-branded cans)

My first choice is Denso or NGK, but Autolite is probably OK to use on a Ford if you want OEM (except that 2-piece F150).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back