obd2 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
That will do more than just scan for codes, i want one that will let me play with the computer in the truck, run diagnostics, and such.

reason i ask, the AC on my 08 is no where even close to that of my 04, so i hooked up gauges, all seemingly ok, now it's time to do tests that the FSM says i need a scanner for.

EG:

With the scan tool, read HVAC DTCs.

With the scan tool in Data Display, read the Evaporator Temperature
Sensor voltage.

things like that.

So what scan tool do i need?

If you can't find what you want cheap you can rent a dealer style DRB-III for three days for ~$100.

where do i rent one at? i'll spend the coin for a nice one. up to about 1200$ or there abouts.

Sounds like you are looking at a bidirectional unit.

I've been studying scan tools over the last few days. If you want to get up to speed about the various aftermarket and OEM scanner trends, I recommend joining the the Garagejournal forum and do a title search on the general tool section for "scan tool(s)". It will be very educational. Everything from the "reversed engineered" Chinese Autel and Launch products selling for under $2,000 up through the aftermarket Snap On/etc. aftermarket scanners in the $5,000+ range. They also discuss very capable used units for the serious DIYer well under $1,000.

The diagnostic scan tool subject is fascinating and scary at the same time. After studying it, one starts to appreciate (a bit) the high cost for garages to stay up to date.

Ethos Tech is only a couple grand
crazy2.gif

I just learned about this sub $200 unit that claims to be compatible with "all" electronic modules AND is bidirectional. Again, it is aimed at the shadetree mechanic managing just a few brands.

http://www.foxwelltech.com/product/item-169.html $155 on Amazon/Ebay.

At these prices, one has to wonder that these Chinese companies (Launch,Autel,Foxwell) are stealing intellectual property and reverse engineering these low cost units. Autel is getting sued constantly, but I have only read of the cases being over turned, not won. These companies are constantly battling this situation, and one wonders if some of this copyright infringement cases are as silly as the APPLE allegations against Samsung for similar styled looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back