Rear end slap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every once in a while when I put my truck (see sig) in reverse it makes a clunking sound, no other time does it do this. So the last time I had my truck into the mechanic I mentioned that and would he check every thing under there. When I picked up the truck he said every thing was solid but what I may be experiencing is rear end slap. He said it's normal for these old trucks but I gotta tell you it scares the heck of me when it happens, it sounds like something under there is breaking.

I have done little searching and apparently this is for real. But my questions is, were they like that when new, is it just the way it's designed or is it wearing out? I also see that guys with newer trucks are having the same thing happen, 2014/15/16.

Truck has 76k but don't know the history.

No expert here but, I'd be checking the universal Joint's and lubricate the splines where the driveshaft enters the rear of the transmission. Ed

I have had many older vehicles that do that. It is just the combination of all the clearances which were tight in the forward direction when stopped, then reversing direction and all the various normal clearances being taken up in the opposite direction. If the u-joints ate good, and surely the mechanic checked them, not to worry. Just don't rev up the engine, then drop it in gear.

It's the side gears in differential. You may be able to shim them. When I worked at a Mopar dealer in the 70's they had kits for that purpose

Used to have the same issue with my old Chevrolet and GMC pick ups. Switched to Rams in 2001 and have not had the problem since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back