Ruger 10mm 1911!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do love some 10mm. Glad to see another one available. I've been being tempted by the Glock 40mos lately. Already have the full set of Smith 10mm's, well full minus a 610.

I think the Dan Wesson is my favorite 1911/10mm pistol, increased capacity DW quality really a fantastic gun but has the price to match as well. I think the Ruger is too expensive for what it brings to the table but I'd love to have a 10mm in my safe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I just traded my Colt Competition 1911 for a G43. It was my CCW and it's just too big/heavy to carry all the time.

Man, that's a big jump back. The G43 is a nice shooter, a bit sensitive to trigger finger placement. It doesn't feel like a little toy gun.

The Ruger 10mm will sell well and after the gotta-have-it-first guys get theirs street price should be around $750. Are there other 10mm 1911s at that selling price?

While I like the concept of 10mm handguns, for my 1911 money after having enough 45 variants, Id want a 9mm.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Ruger just intro'd a 10mm SR1911. Most Ruger fanboys were betting they wouldn't do it. Interesting.

http://ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6739.html

billt460, are you in? Got one yet?

I'm seriously thinking of taking the 10 MM plunge. If and when I do, Ruger will be on the list of possible "go to" guns. I already have their SR-1911 in .45, and I've been very happy with it, along with it's performance. Also high on the list would be one of the full size Glock's. I also like some of the Rock Island Armory 10 MM 1911's. Rock Island has always provided a lot of gun for the money. My 9 MM G.I. Model from them has the absolute best trigger I've ever experienced on a factory 1911 pistol. It's even better than my Gold Cup Series 70.

I'm intrigued!

I'm a 10mm fan, as you guys likely have seen. I shoot my Glock 20 a lot, and have no issues with the recoil (it's a lot more tame than my brother's S&W 1006) even with full pressure loads. I put a few hundred rounds of Buffalo Bore 220gr hard cast, the bear load, and the 180gr JHP, the SD load, through it before trusting it. I love the ballistic performance of the 10mm, but as I've stated in other threads, that choice of cartridge may not be appropriate for all shooters.

Most of my shooting with that gun is with S&B 180gr. Not a bad load, at 1150 FPS. A bit mild compared with the Buffalo Bore, but not as soft as everything else on the market, which is really just ".40 long" at 1050 FPS for 180gr loads.

Anyway, it's a great cartridge, with excellent performance, if you like a heavy bullet at higher velocities (and I do). No wonder the FBI chose it decades ago...and then, abandoned it after discovering that shooter, caliber, and weapon are a system...and that their agents weren't doing well with that weapon (1006) and caliber.

My brother also has a Dan Wesson 10mm Razorback. A HUGE disappointment. It was properly lubricated before firing, then locked up, TIGHT, on the 3rd magazine. The slide jammed on the frame. A block of wood and a hammer was required to get it apart. You could see the galling. They claimed it was my brother's fault, for not lubricating it.

A brand new $1,600 pistol that failed in 20 rounds? And it's not their fault? They will never see a dime of my $$...and I had figured that the Colt Delta Elite was my only hope of a 1911 in 10mm...

So, bravo Ruger!

I'll take a look...just...after I pay tuition, and for a wedding this fall...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
My brother also has a Dan Wesson 10mm Razorback. A HUGE disappointment. It was properly lubricated before firing, then locked up, TIGHT, on the 3rd magazine. The slide jammed on the frame. A block of wood and a hammer was required to get it apart. You could see the galling. They claimed it was my brother's fault, for not lubricating it.

A brand new $1,600 pistol that failed in 20 rounds? And it's not their fault? They will never see a dime of my $$...and I had figured that the Colt Delta Elite was my only hope of a 1911 in 10mm...

Dan Wessons come with rather explicit lubrication instructions and some oil. Most that have locked up are due to CLP or RemOil.

I’ve never heard of Keith not taking care of one though.

I read the owner's manual, too.

They were explicit, and the instructions were explicitly followed, including the use of their little bottle. I watched him oil it WITH their oil, just after it came out of the plastic, for Pete's sake. And I was shooting it when it jammed. The slide jammed on the frame rails and I mean jammed up tight. I've never seen a pistol that jacked up. He shot the first two mags (8 each, I think) and then let me try his brand new gun. His brand new $1,600 pistol.

It's like buying a $100,000+ Mercedes, having the engine blow while you were just gently driving it a few hundred miles later and then Mercedes saying, "not our fault, you abused it, get lost"

I wasn't present when he later called them, so I can't tell you what was said, or by whom, but he was NOT happy.

I'll never buy a Dan Wesson, that's for certain.

Never.

But Ruger has always been reliable and I'm delighted to see a 10mm from them.

Last edited:
I read the owner's manual, too.

They were explicit, and the instructions were explicitly followed, including the use of their little bottle. I watched him oil it WITH their oil, just after it came out of the plastic, for Pete's sake. And I was shooting it when it jammed. The slide jammed on the frame rails and I mean jammed up tight. I've never seen a pistol that jacked up. He shot the first two mags (8 each, I think) and then let me try his brand new gun. His brand new $1,600 pistol.

Sounds like a manufacturing defect to me, not a lack of lubrication.

I completely agree and apologize for hijacking the thread - I didn't mean for it to turn into a Dan Wesson discussion.

I'm just pleased to see more 10mm offerings.

A bit more detail (again, sorry for the hijack)...

I cycled it by hand last summer after freeing it up (it really did take a block of wood and some serious force) and it wasn't right - while the fit was super tight, and smooth through most of the travel, it would stick, even by hand, at one pint in the travel.

His approach since has been to field strip, clean, lubricate, and then cycle the slide by hand a few hundred times. He's repeated that several times over the last year. The hope is that the galling will wear down and break in will complete before placing it under the stress of firing again. Each time he does this, the oil has evidence of breaking in (it gets dark). And he says it's a lot smoother. Hopefully this works, and we will go shoot his new gun again soon.

It's good to know that if I do buy one (and I'm really reticent...) they'll stand behind it.

I really don't know what happened in the conversation, but when he told me that they wouldn't address it, because it had been fired, I was stunned.

But perhaps I remember the details wrong, perhaps it was his LGS.

I do like that Delta Elite, though.

And I was impressed by the Dan Wesson when it came out of the box. It. Was gorgeous, and so very tightly fit. Seems to be a quality gun. Just, it's a lot of money, and if it came out with issues....well...

The hope is that the galling will wear down and break in will complete before placing it under the stress of firing again. Each time he does this, the oil has evidence of breaking in (it gets dark). And he says it's a lot smoother. Hopefully this works, and we will go shoot his new gun again soon.

If it were mine I would get 300-400 grit lapping compound in the slide tracks and work that sucker by hand.
Very disappointing that D.W. that Dan Wesson dropped the ball.

Stainless steel galling ins't a new thing. The proper fix is to use compatible grades of stainless that don't gall when they are run together. Barring that, have either the slide or frame plated to keep the stainless separate.

Either way it's the manufacturer's fault.

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back