From synthetic to regular oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey y'all. I'm new here and this is my first post. I looked for a similar question and didn't see one so hopefully this hasn't already been asked.
I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma with the 3.4 v6
I bought it from my dad and he had been running full synthetic in it.
When I got the truck I took it to the dealership for an oil change but I forgot to tell the guys there that I needed synthetic oil in it. So they did the oil change with regular oil and it wasn't until miles down the road when I realized my mistake.
So my question is: Will this hurt my motor? I figured it's too late so I don't plan on switching back but are there any suggestions on anything i can do to minimize harm?

Welcome. There is a chance your engine will fall out in the first 50 miles. If it makes it past that, do the normal 5000 miles and change it to whatever you like.

If the owners manual says it requires synthetic, then I would change it to that soon. But its doubtful it does.

Last edited:
09.gif

Should be no issue at all, even if Toyota recommended synthetic for that engine one change with conventional will likely be quite safe.
Synthetic and conventional oils can be mixed without issue, note that many manufacturers sell synthetic blends that are exactly such mixes.
Many quick change shop employees will swear that you can't run conventional after synthetic, but it's just not true...

Run it for 4k miles or so then change it. I would however, check the oil few times along the way. Don't be surprised if it uses some. Sometimes when you switch brands you may notice consumption. I would guess it has to do with additive changes. It usually settles down in a change or two. The inner me says oh Jesus, get that stuff out of there. Lol. I've been a synthetic fluids user since I started changing oil at 14, I'm 31 now.

Originally Posted By: Syntheticuser
Run it for 4k miles or so then change it. I would however, check the oil few times along the way. Don't be surprised if it uses some. Sometimes when you switch brands you may notice consumption. I would guess it has to do with additive changes. It usually settles down in a change or two. The inner me says oh Jesus, get that stuff out of there. Lol. I've been a synthetic fluids user since I started changing oil at 14, I'm 31 now.

I have been using synthetic oil since 1976 when I got a real job. Before that I was college broke and used what oil my Dad had in cases.

All good with conventional oil. Follow the oil change schedule per manual and you will be good for many, many miles. Pretty sure it was recommended to use conventional to start with.

Originally Posted By: Syntheticuser
Dang Donald, you are old!
grin.gif

Yes, but my brother is always 2 years older than I except for a few months when he is 3 yrs.

But only as old as you feel. I still drag my butt under the cars to change oil myself.

Waiting until my wife has 30 yrs in with NYS then retire.

And syntheticuser, my younger daughter is older than you. Married with 2 kids.

Geez guys, I had my first real job in the 1960's ... You'all are all kids to me
laugh.gif

To the OP's question - all oils are blends. True synthetics do not mix well with most common additive packages, so the refiners have to have some dino oil as a carrier for the ad pak. That means even the most "synthetic" of the regularly store shelf oils are really blends.

In the last few years, Pennzoil Yellow Bottle (traditional, I know, they are all yellow now) was made form a high dose of GTL. Never advertised as such, but it was there for a long while as they ramped up and GTL oversupply. SO if you had gotten that as "regular oil" you would have actually gotten a pretty sophisticated syn-blend.

The bottom line is the motor will not care. Good oil is good oil. Dino, Syn, Blend - they all work.

Before we can really comment, you need to tell us what exact oil they used ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back