Is this the Atlas I 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the Atlas I-6. Would I buy? If I didn't plan to drive it much or mind doing some annoying repairs, sure. Keep in mind it is 13 years old and was average at best. $3k doesn't buy much SUV, and this one looks clean. Hopefully it isn't a rust bucket underneath.

I'm admittedly biased...i love my Fords. Those are either rock solid or they are falling apart, they don't seem to be in between. My grandma had one and it wasn't the greatest. I remember it using a at of oil every 1500 miles, the pcv was a bear to replace, numerous switches..etc. This was years ago, around 2005. I was a lot younger then.

I'm admittedly biased...i love my Fords. Those are either rock solid or they are falling apart, they don't seem to be in between. My grandma had one and it wasn't the greatest. I remember it using a at of oil every 1500 miles, the pcv was a bear to replace, numerous switches..etc. This was years ago, around 2005. I was a lot younger then.

Go over it with a fine-toothed comb-a coworker had one about that year & it mickel & dimed him to DEATH-bad instrument panel, door hinges, transmission, etc., etc.

If it is not the last few model years (2006-2008), don't even bother wasting the time.

I have a few friends that bought them used. One a 2004, the other a 2008.

The 2008 is doing well, though it had some little issues at first. (going on 110k now)

The 2004 is on the way to the junkyard...nuff' said......

I would agree that 2006-08 are the sweet spot for a GM T360 chassis with the Atlas, but for $3000, if it's clean, rust free, runs and drives nice, it's just as risky as anything else that age, mileage and price.

They are great trucks. Only thing i see them come into my shop where i work is for suspension work. And some do burn oil.

Yes it is the Atlas 4.2L I6. The 2004 was an ok year the year to avoid would have been the 02.

Be sure to have the front suspension checked. Tie rods, control arm bushings and sway bar end links always need to be changed by that mileage.

Other than that very reliable.

Also, to have some fun, you can get a custom mail in PCM tune for $99. Worth every dollar.
wink.gif

They're alright. My grandparent's have an 02' and while it has needed some strange work like window regulators, A/C electric motors in the dash, rear wiper doesn't work 95% of the time, bad electric seat motor, 5'-6' long power steering hose needed replacement, etc. it's been ok. Nothing yet that makes us want to toss it. Runs and shifts great.

We had a 2005 Trailblazer LS 4x4. Bought it used in 2005 with 29K miles (was a rental) for $16K. Those were the days! They ride nice and are super roomy and comfortable. We averaged about 17-18mpg with it. I traded it off for a new Cobalt in 2007. Terribly flimsy bodies and interior bits on them. Like said, for under $3000? You're not going to get much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back