California temperature, coast vs inland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for fun I wanted to show off the extreme temperature differences in California. In San Miguel it's going to be 109F today and 27 miles away at the beach in Morro Bay the high will only reach 65F. It's amazing that the 1500ft Santa Lucia mountains can cut off the cold Pacific air so well.

I work on the coast and it calls to be 78* today. I live 20 miles inland and it calls to be 96*. Not as drastic but the difference can be over 20* sometimes.

When my wife and I were on vacation in California, I remember a radio station giving todays high temperature for the coast, the metro and the "IE".

I will be in Atascadero visiting home tomorrow. I believe we are getting lucky that it will only be 95! We will be in SLO and morro bay most of the time since the wife and I hate the heat.

I took my daughter to Hampton Beach in NH a couple of years ago and it was 92 degrees about two miles from the beach at 9am and 68 when we got to the sand...never got above 70 on the shore that day.
My mistake, I checked the "seacoast" forecast instead of the "beach" forecast. It was foggy at the beach all day and blazing sun just inland.

Pretty common to have a 25-30 degree delta between Santa Monica where I live and Corona Ca where my shop is.

Today I see 71 and 96.

UD

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I took my daughter to Hampton Beach in NH a couple of years ago and it was 92 degrees about two miles from the beach at 9am and 68 when we got to the sand...never got above 70 on the shore that day.
My mistake, I checked the "seacoast" forecast instead of the "beach" forecast. It was foggy at the beach all day and blazing sun just inland.

I had the same thing happen on a trip to Atlantic City. I drive in 100 degree weather to get to AC, but once at the beach, it was barley warm enough to go to the beach. The boardwalk was warmer than the beach, and the shops just past Pacific Ave were 100 degrees.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
When my wife and I were on vacation in California, I remember a radio station giving todays high temperature for the coast, the metro and the "IE".

IE is the Inland Empire. Figure from about Fontana/Ontario inland.

It is currently 64 in Santa Barbara with an expected high of 74. Just over the hills in Santa Ynez it is expected to get up to 91.

Coast, temperate
Inland, inside of an oven.
happy2.gif

Once you experience a winter on the coast, there's no going back!

...unless it's for snowboarding/skiing, on the coast you don't get that fluffy powdery snow.

It's 98F right now 20 miles to the East at my home. I am looking West and can see the marine layer right off the coast.
wink.gif

I have 109 in the backyard right now (2 thermometers and 1 weather station) and supposed to go up a little more, nearing hot time of the day.
Wife just went out back to fire up the grill getting ready to feed me tri-tip.
Peaked 111 yesterday, and she did rib-eye.
I'll stay in and wait
eek.gif

Then we'll get a Santa Ana condition, and the inland is cooler than the coast, because the air warms crossing the high desert, comes over and down the mountains, and compresses adiabatically.
You should hear the coastal people moan about how hot it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back