Mobil 1 TDT 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil isnt JASO rated. Is it because it didnt pass or they didnt need the rating? I have about 12 gallons left over from autozone clearance... wanting to know if its ok to use in a wet clutch UTV.

12 gallons of M1 TDT at clearance prices?

You won the lottery.
smile.gif

Its all about the clutch stack, so if you don't have shared sump (or you have a dry racing clutch) no worries.

This is an AC or H-O-H cooled engine?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
This oil isnt JASO rated. Is it because it didnt pass or they didnt need the rating? I have about 12 gallons left over from autozone clearance... wanting to know if its ok to use in a wet clutch UTV.

It is because it is a turbo diesel engine oil and has nothing to do with motorcycle wet clutches. Therefore, it has no need for a JASO rating. Whether it is good for a wet clutch, I'd suggest asking Mobil.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

It is because it is a turbo diesel engine oil and has nothing to do with motorcycle wet clutches. Therefore, it has no need for a JASO rating. Whether it is good for a wet clutch, I'd suggest asking Mobil.

Gotcha but Rotella 5W40 is JASO rated and used by many in powersports.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
If it doesn't have a JASO rating, I would assume it's not intended for wet clutch applications.

I agree.

However on their Amazon listing https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-98JE04-5W-40-Diesel-Synthetic/dp/B003EQ85IG

"The performance of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is the result of extensive cooperative development work with major equipment builders and application of the latest lubrication technology. As a result, this product meets or exceeds the latest API, ACEA, JASO, and global industry specifications for diesel engine oils."

My jug does not list the rating..not sure if the formula changed or they got the rating later.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

Gotcha but Rotella 5W40 is JASO rated and used by many in powersports.

Rotella's JASO compliance is a design side-effect. It is not something the formulators at Shell are concerned with meeting. It just happened to be there and enough people asked about it that they decided to put it on the label. JASO MA/MA2 compliance has nothing to do with Diesel engine oils though.

As long as it doesn't have friction modifiers it would be fine but it will probably shear down to a 30 wt rather quickly in a shared sump since the first number is five.

M1, 5W-40 TDT is one fantastic oil. To answer your question, I've used it extensively in various motorcycles without any clutch issues. Including my modified SV1000s, which is known to be hard on clutches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back