What Would You Do With A $100 Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offer it to eljefino to see if he'll do a roadtrip?

Me, I guess it depends. Right now I have another 4 years until I have another driver in the family. But I do have friends with kids coming into that driving age. If I had no use, I'd be tempted to pass along.

That's better than most of the old Saturns around here-sell it to your FB buddy for $1K & go get another one! Only problem I see is the HP-sucking A/T, which is actually a good thing for resale,

Originally Posted By: macarose
It's a question that at least a few of us will be experiencing in the next several years to come. I decided to write about it.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-hammer/11625/what-would-you-do-with-a-100-car

I'm not sure if I'll have the time to upgrade it by getting leather seats or replacing that front end. But at least it's far away from the scrap heap for the time being.

All the best!

Steven Lang

Did you play Pickett in "Gettysburg"??
If so, you gave an outstanding performance.

Part it out. The parts separately will bring more money than the whole car.
Or put it on a trailer, drain the fluids, and take it to a steel recycling yard, and sell it by the pound.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
Donate it to charity and take an income tax deduction for book value.

Did they change the law again? I donated a car about 12 years ago and I got a letter in the mail stating what they auctioned if off for. No book value.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Did they change the law again? I donated a car about 12 years ago and I got a letter in the mail stating what they auctioned if off for. No book value.

I think it depends on what is done with the car after you donate it. If it used for, say, transportation of elderly people to their doctor appointments, I think you get book value. If the car is auctioned or sold off, you get what the sale price was.

Drive it until it has a major component failure. You won't get cut up in traffic, nobody will steal it, and it's running costs won't include repayments.
smile.gif

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Yeah, you don't get a tax deduction for book value anymore. If the car sells for $100 at the auction, your tax deduction is based off the $100, not the book value.

As for what I'd do with it, I'd sell it for profit, maybe fix it a little first to increase profit. Not sure I'd bother with parting it out. I'm parting out a car right now and it's more work than I thought.

Honestly i will use it to go to work.
Only maintenance i will do, will be oil and ATF.
Straight water in the radiator if it start leaking.
Heat Core delete if running straight water.

And yea a work car to take all the poor quality roads i face
laugh.gif

Tires, i wont mind buying new tires. If the car dies i will just put it on another.

Originally Posted By: Claud
Drive it until it has a major component failure. You won't get cut up in traffic, nobody will steal it, and it's running costs won't include repayments.
smile.gif

Claud.

+1

Where is this car now? Does the AC work? I know of Steve Lang from a time at TTAC. He and the old car hippy were interesting, the others, not so much.

Originally Posted By: Syntheticuser
I'd drive it until something broke in the engine or trans. I'd use conventional oil (gasp) and check it every few hundred miles.

That is the most sensible and practical thing to do with it. It should still be worth $100 from the junkyard even if it breaks down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back