Almost Useless Sunvisors...RANT

Status
Not open for further replies.
So back in 2009 you would think that sun visors would have stringent performance requirements. Gm has done Sun visors right for years, at least in their pickup trucks, they have extenders that slide out when the visor itself isn't blocking all of the sun.

On my 09 Scion the Visors are almost useless, It makes me so mad, I feel like im driving a old VW beetle they way the visors are sized and the way they work. Our 05 Sienna isn't much better.

Basically I think all visors need to extend out from the rod, or have extensions that pop out to help give the sun visor a larger surface area.

In this age of TPMS, Backup cameras, and other items that are regulated into vehicles, you would think we could have decent sun visors.

Man It ticks me off.

Last edited:
There oughta be a law!

As a teen I always wore a baseball cap, and got into the habit of angling it as needed while driving. These days I still wear a hat while driving. Saves me from flipping the visor to block the window. Angle hat and/or head as necessary.

Then again, out here all I do is go up/down hills and around corners, so there is no "good" visor position.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Or just wear a pair of sunglasses?

I never use my sunvisors.

I've been too lazy to buy new sunglasses after a prescription change. Plus I found I couldn't wear them in my truck, as I couldn't read the radio etc. So I've adjusted to going without. I still need to order some... but even with sunglasses I found I always used my visor. And hat.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
They're usually nicer in higher end vehicles.

I think we have a winner here!!!!

True.

I test drive a lightly used 06 is350 yesterday.

The visors were breathtaking, and that was before I realized the illuminated vanity mirrors!

I feel your pain. Our 16 Prius has useless visors as well so I ended up making some extensions for them.

2r7olqa.jpg

2hz39cz.jpg

14bs2mb.jpg

20% tint on the front side windows and 5% on the sun strip makes driving easy for me on sunny days.

If it's still too bright out I wear sunglasses and my eyes have never been strained since.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
20% tint on the front side windows and 5% on the sun strip makes driving easy for me on sunny days.

If it's still too bright out I wear sunglasses and my eyes have never been strained since.

I forgot to mention, I never use my sunvisors, but I also have 40% tint on the windows, and clear blue tint on the entire windshield. You can't really notice the windshield tint is there, but it does help reduce glare a bit, also really cuts down on the heat transmitted.

I have the Llumar Air 80. Highly recommended.

http://staging.northamerica.llumar.com/choose-a-product/automotive-window-films/clear-window-films

Originally Posted By: funflyer
I feel your pain. Our 16 Prius has useless visors as well so I ended up making some extensions for them.

2r7olqa.jpg

2hz39cz.jpg

14bs2mb.jpg

I'll look into those for my Scion, it would be well worth it

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Or just wear a pair of sunglasses?

I never use my sunvisors.

Several guys I work with never use the sun visors. Even wearing sunglasses I still find that I need visors I must have really sensitive eyes. Mind you this isn't at all times mainly just during sunrises and sunsets

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
They're usually nicer in higher end vehicles.
Can you go aftermarket?

Back when I was an autotech I seem to remember driving the Mercedes C-Class or BMW that actually had two sun visors so you could actually block the sun in front of you and the side.

It just seems silly to me that backup cameras are mandated as well as other things but something that in my opinion is a really important safety device, the sun visor can be so useless Toyota's do seem to be the worst for this. Now I'm not saying backup cameras shouldn't be mandatory I'm just saying we need to get the simple things right first then let's worry about the more advanced items.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
So back in 2009 you would think that sun visors would have stringent performance requirements. Gm has done Sun visors right for years, at least in their pickup trucks, they have extenders that slide out when the visor itself isn't blocking all of the sun.

On my 09 Scion the Visors are almost useless, It makes me so mad, I feel like im driving a old VW beetle they way the visors are sized and the way they work. Our 05 Sienna isn't much better.

Basically I think all visors need to extend out from the rod, or have extensions that pop out to help give the sun visor a larger surface area.

In this age of TPMS, Backup cameras, and other items that are regulated into vehicles, you would think we could have decent sun visors.

Man It ticks me off.

I never use them. The car does have a blue sunstrip on top of the window, that seems perfectly okay for me 99.9% of the time. I always have sunglasses in the car though.

The wife uses the sunvisor because she has a fobia about getting a tan.

My Gen Coupe has nice drivers side visor. It has an extension to slide out the right side. And when the vanity light is on under it, when you snap the visor up it shuts off the light.

My Taurus SHO had twin visors on each side too.

Originally Posted By: funflyer

That is a great idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back