Final Drive UOA: 2006 Yamaha Roadliner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Yamaha Roadliner (1,900cc a/c V-twin)
Final Drive (No clutch, just chain/gears)

So I'm always a stickler on PM but totally dropped the ball on the final drive... It only holds ~2/3 quart and should be some kind of 80w-90. Manual says inspect / change @ ~ 3-4 years / 3-4k miles. It's a PITA because you have to half take off the exhaust.

Below is what came out. This sample is ~9 yrs old w/ 9,800 miles. (Factory fill was changed by the dealer ~9 years at 600 miles). It looked pretty nasty, but all well used gear oil does IIRC. Below does not look too bad to me, I was expecting worse.

Refilled with Motul Gear-300 75w-90 (Won't be going another 9 yrs though)

I'm not too sure about Gear 300 75W-90 in a shaft drive system, Motul does list API GL4+5, but they don't say hypoid.

I have a 16' Boulevard C50 that calls for 90W or 80W-90 final drive oil, and I asked Motul, they said not to use Gear 300 because it's too thin...

Motul does make a part-syn 80W90 gear oil with MoS2 in it, says suitable for hypoid gears.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alex_at
I'm not too sure about Gear 300 75W-90 in a shaft drive system, Motul does list API GL4+5, but they don't say hypoid.

I have a 16' Boulevard C50 that calls for 90W or 80W-90 final drive oil, and I asked Motul, they said not to use Gear 300 because it's too thin...

Motul does make a part-syn 80W90 gear oil with MoS2 in it, says suitable for hypoid gears.

If it meets GL-5 it should be suitable for hypoid gears. That's kind of the whole point of GL-5.

I'm not sure what they are talking about when they say it is "too thin". If Suzuki is calling for an SAE 90 then how could a 75W-90 be too thin?

I don't know really. The info came right from the Motul technician who told me exactly that. Maybe they know some little details that we dont know?

Thanks for the feedback gents. To clarify, the Roadliner is a belt drive power cruiser. From the schematics, The "Final Drive" is two big gears and a big [censored] chain. Putting on quite a few more miles this year than usual. Very happy. FWIW, the bike has always been very been a very "Positive Shifting" bike. Since the change, no question, the gear changes are softer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back