Question about Medical Marijuana rules

On the way home from the eye doctor this afternoon, I was initially feeling down because my left eye is maintaining an elevated intra-ocular pressure (IOP) and may be headed towards a form of induced glaucoma. Maybe. But then I had an Epiphany. Marijuana reduces IOP, given that you dose it about every four to six hours on avg. So I thought hey, I could just move to a Medical Marijuana state and spend my retirement legally stoned !! Just have to find a doc to prescribe it for treatment of the elevated IOP. I'm sure I'm only seeing the rosey side of this. Probable some pitfalls.

The "Pitfalls" would be being stoned all the time. Move here to CA and you can be setup in ten minutes. Might cost you $100 or so.

Would the doses necessary to reduce IOP actually make one high? Id suspect there may be practical differences but have no clue. If not (and those levels carefully dosed), the whole thing is quite the sham... May be as is...

If you are truly just wanting to treat the symptoms i am sure the dispensary can help you pick a product that is best for it. you can get someyhing that is low in thc relative to cbd if you don't like the side effects.

you can also go to a state thar has recreational legalized first to check it out.

saying youd just be stoned all the time is like saying all alcohol is the same, and because that is legal you can spend your life legally drunk. sure the guy who drinks a glass of wine with dinner or a beer after work is the same as a wino drinking rotgut and hand sanitizer.

Last edited:
Another thing to be aware of is that some employers drug test, even in states where medical and recreational marijuana are allowed. They don't allow always allow positive tests for medical reasons. You might want to do some in depth homework before you make such a move.

I have Mary Jane's house of grass a few blocks away.

Just because you can play with grass, means nothing when you are applying for, or currently working/ in school.

Here we go with the ..."Marijuana cures everything but the MAN keeps us down". Next comes the ..."people are gonna do it anyway" argument. Amazing how we know people are "gonna anyway" shoot heroin or jump off a bridge yet we stop them. I say let them do it ....because..."they will do it anyway". Totally weak immature reasoning.

Best wishes with your eyes man but toking up a few hundred to thousamd chemical compound released when the plant is burned has some lung consequences. Amazing how baaaad cigarette smoke is and everyone agrees with the science yet. Marijuana somehow contains everything a growing body needs and zero bad chemicals in the smoke. Its practically kale. Gimme a break. (Disclaimer: there were no mention of political parties in my post, no mention of laws, no mention of regulations, no political celebrity names, my post was about perceptions and not politics, we could have been talking about littering my post was so non political and generic)

Well just rain all over my parade then why don't you, LoL? Here I thought I'd found the key to a stress free retirement and lower my IOP all in one !! Whole post was a little tongue-in-cheek.
smile.gif

But hey I doubt weed has all the interactions of this horrific "traditional med" eye drop they gave me yesterday:

Dorzolamide / Timolol ... Common brands: Cosopt

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/dorzolamide-ophthalmic.html

And the Really Fun News is... I had a drug interaction with using it the first time lastnight !!!! Who would have thunk this ... as an eye drop... would interact with good ole Aspirin in a severe way? Yep. Just check the serious interactions list. I take two aspirin in the morning because it takes the edge off the lingering pain in my shoulder and ankle from the motorcycle accident four months ago. I even pinched my nose bridge for a two minutes like you're supposed to to prevent the eye drop from traveling down the tear duct into sinus and throat and yield systemic side effects.

I experienced the listed side effect of ringing in ears and shortness of breath (and I am in good physical condition, athletic, albeit the wreck has had me out of gym up until two weeks ago I started back).

I will ask them if they can give me some Lumigan instead. All that does for side effects is permanently turn your iris black along with edges of your eye lids near eyeball and cause eye lashes to over grow.

Yeah, bring on those traditional meds !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Here we go with the ..."Marijuana cures everything but the MAN keeps us down". Next comes the ..."people are gonna do it anyway" argument. Amazing how we know people are "gonna anyway" shoot heroin or jump off a bridge yet we stop them. I say let them do it ....because..."they will do it anyway". Totally weak immature reasoning.

Best wishes with your eyes man but toking up a few hundred to thousamd chemical compound released when the plant is burned has some lung consequences. Amazing how baaaad cigarette smoke is and everyone agrees with the science yet. Marijuana somehow contains everything a growing body needs and zero bad chemicals in the smoke. Its practically kale. Gimme a break. (Disclaimer: there were no mention of political parties in my post, no mention of laws, no mention of regulations, no political celebrity names, my post was about perceptions and not politics, we could have been talking about littering my post was so non political and generic)

If marijuana is so bad for people, then why aren't millions of people dying from using it? Considering the millions who smoke it, surely there would be millions of cases of illnesses and deaths caused by its use, by that's simply not the case...

Surely weed smoke has lots of nasty compounds in it, but smoking 40-60 tobacco cigs a day was not considered to be a big deal fairly recently. You'd have to be pretty hardcore to hit that many doobies in a day...

Here we go with the ..."Marijuana cures everything but the MAN keeps us down". ... Amazing how baaaad cigarette smoke is and everyone agrees with the science yet. Marijuana somehow contains everything a growing body needs and zero bad chemicals in the smoke. Its practically kale. ...

Reading in CR that modern medical (mal)practice and prescribed drugs are the cause more death in the U.S. than just about anything.

Me. I don't like being stoned, rather have a mild beer buzz - if I need a buzz.

LR - sorry about your eye issues, must be a bit scary. I have to get to the Doc about my BP that run up to 180/140 too regularly. I don't like my new Doc but I don't want my wife having to care for a stroked out old man. I'm sure she'd put a bag over my head and end it after a couple weeks ....
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
On the way home from the eye doctor this afternoon, I was initially feeling down because my left eye is maintaining an elevated intra-ocular pressure (IOP) and may be headed towards a form of induced glaucoma. Maybe. But then I had an Epiphany. Marijuana reduces IOP, given that you dose it about every four to six hours on avg. So I thought hey, I could just move to a Medical Marijuana state and spend my retirement legally stoned !! Just have to find a doc to prescribe it for treatment of the elevated IOP. I'm sure I'm only seeing the rosey side of this. Probable some pitfalls.

Depends on the state. In Illinois even though it's legal, the hurdles and barriers are quite high. So it may take a year+ until you are approved if you find a doctor that is willing to take you as a patient.

Even in states (like NY) where the medical weed laws are very restrictive, enforcement of simple possession laws are pretty close to non-existent for small personal use quantities.

DUDE. WEED.

If you suffer and think cannabis can help, then investigate! It's entirely worth it.

Cannabis and the cannabinoids they produce are too diverse to generalize any aspect of the species. It's not just for kids to get stoned on, you know. Even with the steep learning curve brought about by the recent publicity it's received, you can be sure that it's still very poorly understood by most.
The follwing list from wikipedia are only some of the known cannabinoids:
THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol)
THCA (Tetrahydrocannbinolic acid)
CBD (Cannabidiol)
CBDA (Cannabidiolic Acid)
CBN ((Cannabinol)
CBG (Cannabigerol)
CBC (Cannabichromene)
CBL (Cannabicyclol)
CBV (Cannabivarin)
THCV (Tetrahydrocannabivarin)
CBDV (Cannabidivarin)
CBCV (Cannabichromevarin)
CBGV (Cannabigerovarin)
CBGM (Cannabigerol Monomethyl Ether)
CBE (Cannabielsoin)
CBT (Cannabicitran)

There are so many genotypical and phenotypical variations that really no two strains really affect people the exact same. Not only is the prior limited list of cannabinoids and the equillibrium balance that they occur in for a given plant, but there are infinite possible expressions of terpenes as well, which like the ratios of cannabinoids, also change the response of the endocannabinoid system. Cannabis can produce the terpenes of pine trees, citrus, hops, fruits, berries, even cheese-like smells. The terpenes in different ratios result in such a wide variety of scents- some easily identified and some entirely new. Combine the terpene balance to the cananbinoid balance of a given phenotype and one has virtually infinite degrees of endocannabinoid receptor stimulation, resulting in different therapeutic responses.

So, no if you need the modulating effects of cannabis, you don't need to get 'stoned' at all. You just need to look for a strain with the appropriate ratios of cannbinoids/terpenes that can treat your ailment. Easier said than done, but it's only getting easier as more strains are actively sought out and developed.

Also a note to the detractors, cannabis is pretty easy to make fun of and discredit; that is simply the matter of our social conditioning. It has been formally studied extensively as of late, including by governments and they've published their studies. We're seeing beneficial effects like inducing apoptosis on cancerous/damaged cell lines as well as neuroprotective qualities. It's just too easy to discredit the plant with the amount of cultural fodder at our disposal, and that's too bad, but there is a real benefit to humanity from the plant, besides kids getting stoned.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Me. I don't like being stoned, rather have a mild beer buzz - if I need a buzz.

Yeah, weed and alcohol are two diametrically opposed buzzes with the latter being heavily dopaminergic.

https://www.aao.org/complimentary-therap...a-cta--may-2003

AAO isn't factoring in the side effects of drops though. I'll reinterate: I had a significant drug interaction last night between Dorzolamide-Timolol eye drops and the residual aspirin that was in me from my morning two 325 gr tablets of Bayer taken with a full breakfast. I have been taking two Bayer 325's since getting out of the hospital and physical rehab in-patient in March (from my motorcycle accident in February). The MD at the phys rehab actually directed me to take it to help mitigate risk of clots, since I had multiple fractures, was not very mobile (i.e. had to sit around a lot but not by choice...), and those conditions can bring on clots. They had been giving me Lovenox injections (blood thinner) into my abdomen while in hospital then continued while during in-patient physical therapy rehab, to mitigate clot risk, and so then they wanted me to continue with aspirin once I got home. But it also helps for the lingering pain and discomfort so I've kept it up after April when they said I could stop.

Prior to the Dorzolamide-timilol drops I had been using Combigan drops, which also have timolol but in combo with a different drug with fewer published side effects and interaction warnings than the Dorzolamide-timolol. And... prior to the Combigan I was being given Alphagan-P which is a single ingredient drop.

My IOP stopped responding to the Alphagan-P so they upped me to Combigan. Yesterday my IOP was found to be 25 (12-21 normal range) so they had me ditch the Combigan and try the Dorzo-timolol stuff. Only other alternative at this point is Lumigan, which is well known to turn your iris black or so dark brown it looks black, as well as darken the edges of your lids so it looks like you've got mascara on. Maybe not so bit an deal for the ladies but um... no thanks here, although I know several women who think the Captain Jack Sparrow look from Pirates of the Carribean is hot, but that's just not my look LoL.

So when I read that marijuana lowered IOP in some studies I thought I found a natural remedy that might yield the added benefit of making one feel good instead of all sorts of God awful interactions and side effects like you may get from quite a few of Big Pharma's products.

Back