Is this dry rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Has anyone seen this on a tire? All the way across. It looks like dry rot???????
They are Conti Pro Contact Eco tires. 40000 miles on them.
Not driving on gravel roads.

Looks like "chunking." Did someone have fun with them?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Looks like "chunking." Did someone have fun with them?
laugh.gif

Nope. Maybe the previous owner did. Tread depth is 5-6/32 in front and 4/32 in the rear.
It's time for new tires ASAP.

Looks like weather cracking to me. And some hard driving, maybe?

What is the date code?

At 4/32's you're not losing much. Supposedly wet traction starts to get impacted around that point. I'd start tire shopping.

Originally Posted By: supton
Looks like weather cracking to me. And some hard driving, maybe?

What is the date code?

At 4/32's you're not losing much. Supposedly wet traction starts to get impacted around that point. I'd start tire shopping.

I'll let you know when the wife gets home from work.
I'm shopping right now as a matter of fact.
laugh.gif

Pricey little things. Geez.

Hi there chief,

DT/DTD has their 4th of July sale coming up. Same deal as the Memorial day sale. So $75-100 off via rebate on "better" and "best" tires. Cooper also has a rebate going, $50-70 off on most tires.

I don't think it's dry rot, although they do look ancient. This may be a tyre cupping, caused by improper alignment or by factory setting. Modern cars often have more "aggressive" alignments which can cause this by the end of tyre life. Probably it was overheated at one point too.

I wouldn't worry much about it, you can drive more on this set if you wish to.

Last edited:
OK, date code is 3913.
I'm wondering what abuse these tires have seen...
Car drives straight no pulling.
Tires are loud though.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Hi there chief,

DT/DTD has their 4th of July sale coming up. Same deal as the Memorial day sale. So $75-100 off via rebate on "better" and "best" tires. Cooper also has a rebate going, $50-70 off on most tires.

Hi.
I was wondering if they were. Thanks!!

Originally Posted By: LotI
Submit the DOT codes to Conti just to check. I got 6 free Michelin LTX M/S2's this year due to a recall.

Interesting! Thank you. I will do that here in a little while!!
That never entered my wee little ming!

Not recalled.

Dot Code: A37A47JB3913 Age: 3 years, 8 months.
This tire is less than six years old. Recall Status: No Recall Detected
Manufacturing
Made in: UNITED STATES
Manufacturer: GENERAL TIRE & RUBBER CO
Standard Sizes:
Light Truck : 11R14LT
M-Metric : 235/55R17
P-Metric : P235/60R18

I'd still contact them since they've had issues with other tire sizes of the same model tire. Plus some other ones. See if they will stand behind their product. Since it doesn't make you feel too good about them at this stage. It can't hurt.

I'd still contact them since they've had issues with other tire sizes of the same model tire. Plus some other ones. See if they will stand behind their product. Since it doesn't make you feel too good about them at this stage. It can't hurt.

I am planning to! Going to ask what they will do to solve this. May even tell them that I am shopping for tires and Continental is NOT in the top 10 I'm looking at.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
...... Has anyone seen this on a tire? All the way across. It looks like dry rot???????

You've got 2 things going on.

1) The flaking on the tread surface - caused by operating the tire on gravel roads - although some pavements will do this. This is tread compound related and some tread compounds are more susceptible than others to this. Is this an OE tire? If so, it might explain why this happened. (I see in another thread that they are OE!)

2) Cracks in the groove. To some extent this is weather related, but because of its location, this is more likely due to stress.

Overall I'd say the previous owners was a little rough on these.

Is it anything to worry about? No. Those tires will last until they wear out.

Last edited:

I sent them a email this morning with pictures. They actually called me back quickly. Basically they can do NOTHING since I am the second owner. The warranty only applies to the original.

I asked them if they could do some sort of good will, they said, nope.
So basically I get to buy new tires. Pretty sure they wont be Conti's or Generals.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
...... Has anyone seen this on a tire? All the way across. It looks like dry rot???????

You've got 2 things going on.

1) The flaking on the tread surface - caused by operating the tire on gravel roads - although some pavements will do this. This is tread compound related and some tread compounds are more susceptible than others to this. Is this an OE tire? If so, it might explain why this happened. (I see in another thread that they are OE!)

2) Cracks in the groove. To some extent this is weather related, but because of its location, this is more likely due to stress.

Overall I'd say the previous owners was a little rough on these.

Is it anything to worry about? No. Those tires will last until they wear out.

Thanks! The rears are at 4/32 so time to replace them soon.
I think the previous owner abused them. The tires had 40PSI in them. That may have been some of it.
I never checked them when we bought it. Thats on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back