The RIGHT Way to Secure a Drill Bit in a Chuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed on the newest cordless drills at HD, where there isn't a chuck with a key, that they do seem to click and perhaps clutch in place.

My hand-tightening chucks on older drills don't click like this.

Next time in HD check it out on one of the test units they have on display with a battery. It clicks down when tight, no idea what happens if you back off on it like they say to "lock" it...

I just checked all three of my drills. The old Makita works this way, but the other two don't work like the video claims.

It depends on the brand and model of chuck.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I have noticed on the newest cordless drills at HD, where there isn't a chuck with a key, that they do seem to click and perhaps clutch in place.

My hand-tightening chucks on older drills don't click like this.

Next time in HD check it out on one of the test units they have on display with a battery. It clicks down when tight, no idea what happens if you back off on it like they say to "lock" it...

Just noticed? Its been that way for a WHILE
wink.gif

On keyless chucks, I'll either spin them by hand (click when tightened) or hold the chuck and pull the trigger. The first way I can tighten the bit more and the second is quicker.

I usually do the second method first and then finish by hand if necessary.

Sounds like [censored] to me, and I use a cordless drill almost every day. Just recovered with all brand new brushless Milwaukee 18v, haven't lost a bit yet and been using them about 9-10 months??

My drill doesn't do this. Maybe it's a new thing? No idea. I'll stick to what has worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back