Tell me about Accord CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be buying a new car this fall, maybe earlier.
I will have been old-car driving my way to work on a twenty five mile each way for a couple of years and would like something new for my last few years of the grind.
I want an automatic since my wife's left knee bothers her, which is the reason we stopped buying new sticks with the '09 Subie, which is and will be in use by a son with a wife and our first grandchild.
Anyway, we've had Hondas for years and I can get a killer deal on a remaindered '17.
My only doubts involve the CVT.
How good, or bad is the Honda CVT?
Earlier Honda CVTs seemed pretty bad and those in Nissans have highly variable longevity.
Who has a lot of miles on a Gen Nine Accord with this tranny?

The 2018 Accord will have a 1.5ltr turbo 4 with a 10 speed auto transmission. Wait a few months and don't worry about that CVT.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4427187/It's_official!_2018_Accord_dri

Last edited:
WILDCARD: Don't fail to shop Mazda. All I want to say is two family members love their Mazda3 (2012 + 2016). Both have the real smooth 6 speed.

I believe there's merit to sitting out the automotive industry's CVT growing pains. It took 'em 60 years to get the automatic right, didn't it?

A belty thing used in snowmobiles and carty little Dutch (read-FLAT TERRAIN) cars. Don't forget the wee Japanese forest wagons.

If you're married to Honda vehicles and I should've known that, I apologize.

I don't have long term experience with the Accord CVT. There are a few complaints about them, mostly odd operation, idle vibration and a slight occasional slipping at highway speeds that would cause it to log a fault code. They did still have slipping issues at highway speed up to some point in 2016 due to faulty programming. It seems Honda has worked most of the smoothness issues out of the CVT. People are very happy with the new transmission software and it seems the highway slip issue is also gone, due to a change in pressures. I've driven them around town and I do not find them objectionable in any way. I also tend to like the newer Altima CVT very much.

I recently had a new Accord loaner for airbag recall.

Drove very nice but I would definitely be worried about long term reliability of the CVT.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
The 2018 Accord will have a 1.5ltr turbo 4 with a 10 speed auto transmission. Wait a few months and don't worry about that CVT.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4427187/It's_official!_2018_Accord_dri

Incorrect. The 1.5L will have a CVT. The 2.0L will have the 10 speed.

Any concern the 2018 may have teething issues?????
Most new introductions do.

Very happy with the CVT. I drove a manual Accord and didn't like it. I came from a '12 with an automatic and it's an improvement.

2.7g/100mi lifetime over 60k miles is proof in the pudding. Fuelly

I would recommend the Sport to get the paddles for more control over the shifts.

Originally Posted By: kjbock

Yep, I see that now....I would pony up for the 2 liter with a manual if offered but might settle for the ten speed auto.

They have been more reliable than the Altima's unit since day one. I'm pretty sure they have the bugs worked out by now. I know some of the early units had a stutter off idle but other than that I haven't heard of other widespread issues. I don't see many complaints on Drive Accord either.

48,000 on my 2014 Accord cvt and so far so good. It is said that cvts are not repairable so that's a concern to me. Best alternative would be a Camry with a 6 speed auto and 3,000 cash back. Hope this helps.

Although I admit it has worked fine so far (25k miles) and has not let me down, the CVT in my '15 Accord Sport is the one of the only things I dislike about the car.

When I first got it I was more than happy with it and did not understand why there was so much dislike for these transmissions out there, but over time either I've just gotten used to (and tired of) it, or it has gotten used to me. Initial acceleration seems weak-ish now, like the engine is revving higher than it should considering how much forward motion it is (or isn't) producing, yet it does not feel like it's slipping. It also seems to want to start in a higher gear than necessary before it figures out that it needs to kick down a bit to get moving, and that delay seems longer than it used to be. Driving in stop/go traffic can be frustrating when the cars in front of me start moving but my car takes its time to do so. I find myself shifting into Sport mode more often now to pull onto main roads or to merge with traffic. It just seems to have lost its consistency that I remember it having when it was new. I find myself thinking 'I should have bought the six-speed' pretty much every time I drive it now.

Anyone know if the computers in newer Hondas learn your driving habits and attempt to adjust for it? Can it be reset?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Although I admit it has worked fine so far (25k miles) and has not let me down, the CVT in my '15 Accord Sport is the one of the only things I dislike about the car.

When I first got it I was more than happy with it and did not understand why there was so much dislike for these transmissions out there, but over time either I've just gotten used to (and tired of) it, or it has gotten used to me. Initial acceleration seems weak-ish now, like the engine is revving higher than it should considering how much forward motion it is (or isn't) producing, yet it does not feel like it's slipping. It also seems to want to start in a higher gear than necessary before it figures out that it needs to kick down a bit to get moving, and that delay seems longer than it used to be. Driving in stop/go traffic can be frustrating when the cars in front of me start moving but my car takes its time to do so. I find myself shifting into Sport mode more often now to pull onto main roads or to merge with traffic. It just seems to have lost its consistency that I remember it having when it was new. I find myself thinking 'I should have bought the six-speed' pretty much every time I drive it now.

Anyone know if the computers in newer Hondas learn your driving habits and attempt to adjust for it? Can it be reset?

I change the CVT fluid every other oil change on my 2014 Accord, are you? I've noticed that about 3-4 wks before I change it out it starts behaving like you described. As soon as I change it, symptoms to away.

Originally Posted By: kjbock

Nice. So the 1.5L Accords will have a CVT AND fuel dilution issues.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I change the CVT fluid every other oil change on my 2014 Accord, are you? I've noticed that about 3-4 wks before I change it out it starts behaving like you described. As soon as I change it, symptoms to away.

I changed the fluid once at 20k hoping it would improve something but there was no difference in its operation at all.

I've also had the CVT reprogramming done at the dealer and that made no difference at all either.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

I changed the fluid once at 20k hoping it would improve something but there was no difference in its operation at all.

I've also had the CVT reprogramming done at the dealer and that made no difference at all either.

My neighbor is the head mechanic at a Honda dealer and he told me to change the CVT fluid every other oil change. That's been about every 15K. Mine is fine and I have no doubt that it will last, but like you I still don't like the rubber band feeling now and then.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

Any concern the 2018 may have teething issues?????
Most new introductions do.

I would have concerns. Honda hasn't been doing well lately with first year models. They've always struggled a bit in that area, but not like now. And why in the world does a mid-size sedan need a 10 speed transmission? Lots of added complexity and shifting for very little if any benefit. I hate the direction Honda is going lately with most of its vehicles.

Thanks to all for the info.
The backup plan would be either a Camry or a Fusion, although there are many other cars at this price point.
If I were young and crazy, there are a lot of things I'd buy for more or less dollars.
These days, I'm happy with anything that delivers good reliability along with decent FE and allows cornering without a lot of slowing down.
I have always detested braking for corners on the street. Such a waste of energy.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
I would have concerns. Honda hasn't been doing well lately with first year models. They've always struggled a bit in that area, but not like now. And why in the world does a mid-size sedan need a 10 speed transmission? Lots of added complexity and shifting for very little if any benefit. I hate the direction Honda is going lately with most of its vehicles.

Honda was never all that great. Rose colored glasses and being told how great they are tends to make people gloss over things. They rarely have done a great automatic. Even their engines have had their fair share of issues.

I'd shop elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back