New to me-2016 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 oil recomedation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-hyper green, with 8600 miles. It was a dealer demo. The dealer just changed the oil with a semi-syn. I was going to follow the OLM, then start using synthetic-probably Pennzoil or Valvoline in 5W20 flavor. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Nice choice! We have a 2013 in Gecko green which is almost the same color but just a little bit different. I've been running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20. OLM has been going out to about 9000 miles so I'm definitely more comfortable using a synthetic.

I personally really like Valvoline in the 3.6 but that's just me. Considering conventional Valvoline meets the requirements of the owners manual stepping up to SynPower if you prefer a Synthetic is a no brainer. Any of the major brand Synthetic 5w20s should serve you very well for a long time.

I'm a lot more comfortable using a 5w30 in my 3.6 jku. My choice is synpower 5w30, super smooth compared to the FF anyway

Nice jeeps.

I've got the same motor on my 2015 Caravan. Using PPPP 5w-20. It's super quiet once it's warmed up.

Pennzoil Ultra would be even better.

Originally Posted By: fj610
I'm a lot more comfortable using a 5w30 in my 3.6 jku. My choice is synpower 5w30, super smooth compared to the FF anyway

Hey fj610, I was hoping you would see this thread and join in, since you are a 3.6 Jeep owner of about the same era. Yeah over here Valvoline SynPower 5W30 is both Dexos1 and MS-6395, so a good choice.

Originally Posted By: p1zippie
... Thoughts? ...

Brand: any that meets MS 6395 spec.

Grade: 0W-20 was spec'ed beginning with 2016. Probably can only be found in semi or full synthetic. As my 2017 Pentastar 3.6 is a moderate fuel diluter I go for the highest viscosity I can find, often mixing in some 5W-30 to get into the high 20 grade.

Interval: depends on operational parameters. My dealership suggested 5,000 miles. Recently changed at 5,000 miles with 44% remaining oil life showing. Certainly not going to take it anywhere close to 0% because of the fuel dilution issues.

Having two pentastars in the garage - I feel safe in saying that as long as you use a quality oil mated with a respectable OCI, the engine won't care what you pour in her. These things are easy on oil.

I've used VWB, Havoline HiMi, Hav Syn, PYB, Trop-Artic, Napa Syn, VSP, PUP, QSGB and QSUD in mine. If I had to choose a top three, they would be:

1. Hav Syn
2. VSP
3. QSUD

For me, the only difference I could tell between any of these oils was during start up. The Havoline Syn and HiMi just seemed to be the quietest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back