Michigan Speedway..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I slept in and missed the start. I tried to stay up and watch all of Le Mans but fell asleep with about 3 hours to go. I really enjoy the high speed tracks like Michigan and Fontana. Really excited for Sonoma next week, there needs to be more road courses and less 1.5 mile tracks.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Originally Posted By: Warstud
How did Jones end up in the back ?

Came in to check lugs.

He's up to 2nd now...like to see him get a win.

Originally Posted By: billt460
And Danica was.......... Wait for it....... 37th, or D.A.L.

Albeit not her fault. Wrong place at wrong time. Was having a decent run at the end there. Probably top 15 had it not been for the wreck.

Last edited:
While I agree this wreck was not her fault, and that in fact a lot of her accidents are...... "not her fault", in as many words. She sure seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time on an almost never ending basis. Sure, you can call that "bad luck". Or else accept that it has a lot to do with the fact she never seems to be able to get to the front of the pack, or anywhere even remotely near it. Unless it's for a few laps while everyone in front of her pits. Then it's right back to 25th or whatever place, where she can,.... and usually does get caught up in most every wreck that happens in front, along side, or anywhere around her. Either way, the result always seems to be the same. A near last place finish with a torn up race car.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Ya this hit was not her fault. I wonder how she would do on an endurance team like one running in IMSA.

That would be really interesting to see. I would not be surprised to see her do well in a series like that. Lots of middle of the pack NASCAR drivers have been front of the pack drivers in other series.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
That would be really interesting to see. I would not be surprised to see her do well in a series like that. Lots of middle of the pack NASCAR drivers have been front of the pack drivers in other series.

She really hasn't been what you would call competitive since she was in Toyota Atlantic in the beginning of her career. Even there she never managed a win in 2 years, and 24 races. This in spite of having some of the best equipment out there, provided to her by Bobby Rahal. I'm not trying to bash her, but the fact is her racing career is what it is... Lackluster at best. Downright dismal and wreck filled in fact. 1 single win in almost 2 decades of racing, (19 years to be exact), in a total of 9 different venues. At this point I doubt it would matter where she went, or who she raced for. If you haven't established yourself as a winning driver in any class of racing in 19 years, in spite of having excellent equipment and sponsorship throughout that entire period, there come a point when reality sets in.

And Danica was.......... Wait for it....... 37th, or D.A.L.

I'm not trying to bash her,

Yea OK. But you mention she finished 37th without even knowing why. I think some people just have a problem with a woman competing in a mans sport.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Yea OK. But you mention she finished 37th without even knowing why. I think some people just have a problem with a woman competing in a mans sport.

I knew why. I watched the race. And calling what Danica does "competing", is a bit of a stretch in itself. She's a driver, not a racer. And she's good at being marketable. At least she used to be. Her sponsors are getting rather sparse these days. Race cars are rolling billboards. Not much to look at after she wrecks them out time after time, and they tow it away.

What baffles me is all the talk about Danica. Just because she is a woman. There are many men racers who are mid packers every race too. For instance Paul Menard. Why do we never hear how Paul Menard starts, runs, and finishes mid to back pack every race? And that without his fathers financial support he wouldn't even be in the sport. That is way more news worthy than Danica. Folks seem to forget how difficult it is to drive one of those cars on the edge for as long as they do. We as fans like to state how bad these guys (and girls) are doing when we haven't the talent to drive the pace car.

Just one more thing. If anyone thinks that auto racing has anything to do with results you are really misguided. It is a business plain and simple. All about the Benjamins. There are thousands of drivers at local tracks who could win championships at the top level. But they aren't marketable for whatever reason. Again that is all about money. Truth

Don

Originally Posted By: Dadillac
What baffles me is all the talk about Danica. Just because she is a woman.

What baffles me is why people won't say she stinks, just because she is a woman. And you're right about Menard. But his car is a marketable rolling billboard for his daddy. So the family is getting something out of the deal.

What baffles me is all the talk about Danica. Just because she is a woman.

What baffles me is why people won't say she stinks, just because she is a woman. And you're right about Menard. But his car is a marketable rolling billboard for his daddy. So the family is getting something out of the deal.

Completely understand what you are saying. But the point is simple. If a man was in Danica's car getting the exact same results there would be zero discussion about it. Why does a woman need to be held to a higher standard? I kind of get the feeling that if she actually was doing well the talk would be that she is getting preferential treatment and that NASCAR races are fixed. Truth is that there will always be middle to back of the pack drivers. Every race every year. But minorities (in this case women) are the ones singled out. Even if we had a race filled with 40 Jimmie Johnson's there would be Jimmie's finishing last. Everybody can't win all the time.

Don

Just want to add that I have been a fan of NASCAR Cup racing since the late '80's. I have had my favorite drivers to root for but have become more of a fan of the sport. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other who wins, crashes, or runs middle pack. I do pull for the young drivers though. I get excited to see the new young guns getting their due.

Don

....If a man was in Danica's car getting the exact same results there would be zero discussion about it.
Don

If a man were in Danica's car getting the same results, he would have been gone long ago. So in that regard you are correct, there would have been little discussion about it, because there would have been nothing to discuss, period. All that is keeping Danica in that car is / was her marketability as a good looking female, novelty driver. And even that is starting to wear thin. Natures Bakery is not happy with her, or their present contract with SHR.

So now she is even failing at the one thing that has managed to keep her going all of this time.... Her off track marketability. If you think about it, it's amazing she's lasted as long as she has, considering she possesses the personality of a feral cat. The only reason she has been able to stick around for so long, is much the same reason Menard has. The money kept both of them in, regardless of how much either of them stunk up the track. The difference is Danica's marketability came to her from being a a good looking female. Menard only has to ask daddy to keep the check's coming. So on that basis, he'll outlast her. Where as Danica, like most women who achieve their position through good looks, is on borrowed time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back