Castrol Magnatech 5x30 vs Mobil 1 5x30

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, it's 5W-30 not 5X30
They are both great, Magnatec has proven to work really well in Turbo direct injection engines such as Ford Ecoboost engines.
They both are excellent in practice.

Plus second of all, it's Magnatec.

If I was going for a 10k interval then I'd go with Mobil 1. For shorter intervals around the 7k and below mark I'd use Magnatec. Just seems to be the sweet spot for both oils with the UOAs I've read.

Magnatec full syn 5w 30 is cheaper than M1 5w 30, at least at wally world anyway.

Based on that, I personally went with magnatec when looking for a 5w30.

Magnatec I know for sure meets Ford spec, pretty sure M1 does also.

I wouldn't take any oil past 7500mi without UOA including TBN/TAN, but that's just me.

Nobody can definitively tell you which is "better." Maybe M1 is better because more expensive "must be better," or Maybe Magnatec is better because it's just as good and cheaper. That's up to you. You can't really go wrong with either.

In the uk magnatec 5w30 A5 spec oil says it meets the requirements of ford 913d spec but meets the requirements does not mean it has an actual approval from ford.

Some dude here from the Midwest says M1 at Wally's is counterfeit.....
smile.gif
smile.
I have taken Magnatec to 10k very often and have no issue doing so on very late model vehicles!!!
I use Fram Ultras for the oil filter.
Price is of no consideration with my choice!!
Both products are fine!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Plus second of all, it's Magnatec.

If I was going for a 10k interval then I'd go with Mobil 1. For shorter intervals around the 7k and below mark I'd use Magnatec. Just seems to be the sweet spot for both oils with the UOAs I've read.

I would assume the Mag UOA's you note were SS and not the new FS that 5w30 is now and thus not a valid comparison...

I'd lean toward the Castrol based upon what I've seen.
Castrol occasionally does a really good oil and this appears to be one of them.
The fact that it's four or five bucks a jug less dear than M1 is icing on the cake.

I running Magnatec 5W-20 in my wife's 2014 Elantra and will do a test on next oil change. I tried it because she does many short trips along with a long trip once a month.

What do you think of the claims that THE INTELLIGENT MOLECULES IN GTX MAGNATEC DEFY GRAVITY?
Does it dramatically reduce engine wear?
Leave critical engine parts 4X smoother?

This is pasted from the Castrol site:

Castrol GTX MAGNATEC®, a leading Castrol engine oil brand, is now available in the US. It has helped drivers to protect their engines for almost 20 years by delivering instant protection from the moment of start. The intelligent molecules in Castrol GTX MAGNATEC are specially formulated to cling to critical engine parts and to dramatically reduce engine wear.
UNSEEN DAMAGE THAT'S EATING AWAY AT YOUR ENGINE
Did you know that up to 75% of engine wear occurs during warm up? Most oils drain from critical engine parts when the engine is turned off and need time to reach the peak protection temperature when turned back on. And with most car trips lasting 20 minutes or less, engines are exposed to wear for most of the trip.
THE INTELLIGENT MOLECULES IN GTX MAGNATEC DEFY GRAVITY
The intelligent molecules in Castrol GTX MAGNATEC are what set it apart from other engine oils. These specialized molecular components cling to the engine throughout all driving conditions, even when the engine is off.

When the engine stops, oil drains back to the sump, but the intelligent molecules in Castrol GTX MAGNATEC don’t. They cling to critical engine parts like a magnet, providing an extra layer of protection from the start and throughout warm-up.
ONLY CASTROL GTX MAGNATEC IS UNIQUELY FORMULATED TO PROVIDE INSTANT PROTECTION FROM THE MOMENT OF START.
THE INTELLEGENT MOLECULES:
Cling to critical engine parts when the oil drains down
Add a layer of protection during warm-up and beyond
Dramatically reduce engine wear
Leave critical engine parts 4X smoother

Originally Posted By: slybunda
In the uk magnatec 5w30 A5 spec oil says it meets the requirements of ford 913d spec but meets the requirements does not mean it has an actual approval from ford.

No it doesn't. It says, (and I quote directly from the PDS):

Quote:
Meets Ford WSS-M2C913-C/ WSS-M2C913-D

The next bit of context you probably don't know is that Ford do not issue formal approvals, although they do require submission of data for their awareness and acknowledgement and require adherence to various protocols and codes of practice. "Meets Ford WSS-M2Cxxxx" is the only way of writing it.

If you want further evidence, Ford's official workshop product says exactly the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Stevie
....are specially formulated to cling to critical engine parts and to dramatically reduce engine wear.
They cling to critical engine parts

Pretty much all oil does this ^^

These high IQ molecules are not about marketing - they have been proven by ___________

I running Magnatec 5W-20 in my wife's 2014 Elantra and will do a test on next oil change. I tried it because she does many short trips along with a long trip once a month.

What do you think of the claims that THE INTELLIGENT MOLECULES IN GTX MAGNATEC DEFY GRAVITY?

Castrol GTX MAGNATEC®, a leading Castrol engine oil brand, is now available in the US. It has helped drivers to protect their engines for almost 20 years by delivering instant protection from the moment of start. The intelligent molecules in Castrol GTX MAGNATEC are specially formulated to cling to critical engine parts and to dramatically reduce engine wear.
Did you know that up to 75% of engine wear occurs during warm up? Most oils drain from critical engine parts when the engine is turned off and need time to reach the peak protection temperature when turned back on. And with most car trips lasting 20 minutes or less, engines are exposed to wear for most of the trip.
The intelligent molecules in Castrol GTX MAGNATEC are what set it apart from other engine oils. These specialized molecular components cling to the engine throughout all driving conditions, even when the engine is off.

When the engine stops, oil drains back to the sump, but the intelligent molecules in Castrol GTX MAGNATEC don’t. They cling to critical engine parts like a magnet, providing an extra layer of protection from the start and throughout warm-up.
ONLY CASTROL GTX MAGNATEC IS UNIQUELY FORMULATED TO PROVIDE INSTANT PROTECTION FROM THE MOMENT OF START.

Don't know if any of you remember back when there was a brand of additive with Teflon in it which was supposed to give ,superior, lasting engine life!😢

I would consider regular M1 5W30 and full syn Magnatec 5W30 equivalent for most real life applications.

Originally Posted By: SR5
I'm just guessing here, but I think the synthetic Magnatec is a Group 3 oil, but the "intelligent" molecule is really a Polar molecule that clings to the metal surface of the engine components. Given how Group 2, 3 and 4 are not very polar, while nobody uses Group 1 much any more due to lack of oxidation stability. To me this means the organic polar molecule would probably be a Group 5 product. Sure probably only a small amount, but it's still there.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Whats the difference between Magnatec and Edge? Aren't both synthetic?

magnatec probably group 3. edge is supposed to be group 4 but not sure these days everyone is cutting costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back