STP Pro Motor Oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't Tar & Feather me...just noticed my local Auto Zone was carrying it.
Does anyone know specs on this oil, good for older Flat Tappet Cams and Lifters?
Zinc PPM etc?
Been using Dino 20/50 Brad Penn or Valvoline VR1 Racing for my older Corvette but the prices per qt are getting crazy!

Last edited:
I do not have high opinion of anything STP.

How often are you changing oil in a Corvette that you need to be concerned about the price of oil? Amsoil ZROD.

Your engine take 5 qts. My truck is 14. Feel bad for the cost of my oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Donald

How often are you changing oil in a Corvette that you need to be concerned about the price of oil? Amsoil ZROD.

Your engine take 5 qts. My truck is 14. Feel bad for the cost of my oil changes.
Yea feel bad for Donald, he was forced to buy that truck lol. Op I'd stick with Valvoline VR1 if it's easy to get. Amsoil Z Rod is a good choice as Donald said.

STP is manufactured by Amalie. Or at least it was, I'm not sure now.

For conventional engines it's probably no better or worse than any other SN rated oil, but for a flat tappet cam on an older Corvette I would stick with something like Redline 10w60. It'll be a bit more costly than Brad Penn but RL's a full synthetic so you won't have to change it as often.

My truck also takes 15 qts, my Race Boat 14 Qts...trust me I know your pain.
It was just a question.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger

Yea feel bad for Donald, he was forced to buy that truck lol. Op I'd stick with Valvoline VR1 if it's easy to get. Amsoil Z Rod is a good choice as Donald said.

I'll stick with the Valvoline VR1 20/50...but my local Auto Zones or other Auto Stores no longer carry it. I suppose sale were poor and I did buy a few cases when it was $4 a Qt (at least that's what they sold it to me for)

Originally Posted By: HammerDown
Don't Tar & Feather me...just noticed my local Auto Zone was carrying it.
Does anyone know specs on this oil, good for older Flat Tappet Cams and Lifters?
Zinc PPM etc?
Been using Dino 20/50 Brad Penn or Valvoline VR1 Racing for my older Corvette but the prices per qt are getting crazy!

Only specs I cold find were at Pqiamerica and this was for a 0W-20 Synthetic they tested in April this year. It's about 1/3 of the way down the page.
http://www.pqiadata.org/STP_SYN_0W20_dexos.html
They have more types and viscosity at AutoZone than they list at STP.com so I asked STP why and they sent me back to AutoZone who haven't replied yet.

Thanks Fellas...recon I'll stick with Valvoline VR1 Racing 20/50 (dino) if I can find it!
Also may recheck Castro GTX 20/50 for ZDDP levels for flat Tappet Cams
Not interested in running full synthetic in my 81 Vette with 130,000

BTW, no O'Reillys in my area just Napa, Auto Zone, Advance Auto and Pep Boys...and one "speed shop = $$$$"

Oh, last oil Change was with Kendall Titanium 20/50 > > > another oil clearance to sell-out from Auto Zone. Got it for $3 a Qt Also bought a case of 40 wt for my race Boat.

Last edited:
I have 12 quarts of Valvoline SynPower 20w50 that I would be willing to part with.
smile.gif

Pep Boys also carries VR1 Valvoline too, I don't know if they would be any cheaper than Autozone. The current Castrol 20w50 GTX is SN grade so its ZDDP levels are not going to be any higher than the SN limit of 600 ppm min/800 ppm max phosphorous.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I have 12 quarts of Valvoline SynPower 20w50 that I would be willing to part with.
smile.gif

Thanks, but since 1981 I'm not about to put synthetic in this car.

Originally Posted By: BironDanmum
Pep Boys also carries VR1 Valvoline too, I don't know if they would be any cheaper than Autozone. The current Castrol 20w50 GTX is SN grade so its ZDDP levels are not going to be any higher than the SN limit of 600 ppm min/800 ppm max phosphorous.

Not my Pep Boys, but Auto Zone said they will get me case at $6,69 a qt.
Thanks for the Castrol GTX ZDDP levels, I seem to recall they dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back