Wally World oil observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... Finally made myself go to Wally World to pick up some full synthetic oil. What to pick?? Well, there was a literal ton of Mobil 1 annual protection= shelf totally full and an end cap completely full too. Zero Castrol Magnatec 5w30= not happy about that. Pennzoil Platinum= none to be found either. Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30= ZERO. Ok well there is Mobil 1 5w30 but not a lot of it so I will save the last remaining 5 qt container for a real diehard Mobil 1 fan because I know there are many of them out there. The woods are full of them Mobil 1 fans. Mobil 1 extended performance 5w30 was there but again 3 five qt containers left. Just can't do it. For already stated reason. Really only option left was Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic 5w30. Which I was plenty pleased with because I have thought to try this out for some time. So that's what I picked up. Though I really did come close to getting the Quaker State Enhanced Durability 5w30 Dexos approved oil for $16.97.

So in summary it appears at my local Walmart that the vaunted Mobil 1 annual protection is a very effective dust bunny collector. Regular Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 extended performance are selling really well. The Pennzoil Platinum oils were obviously selling really well too. Castrol Magnatec 5w30 Dexos approved 5w30 now full synthetic @ $17.88 is likely going to be hard to keep on the shelves. I am looking forward to trying out the Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic in my car with 190k miles. In my book a real high mileage car or truck starts at 200k miles. I am close enough now to at least try it. Ohh and I hope you guys have a good Father's day today. The biggest accomplishment in life is not having a great job, huge House, or a super super car in the driveway. The greatest accomplishment is to be a father who is present, who tries to do the best that he can for his children, and bless the world with a child or children that have been raised well. I will never have the ability to do this. But I greatly respect and appreciate all the guys in this world who take their responsibility of bringing a child in this world very seriously.

Last edited:
Quaker State Ultimate Durabilty is now in the same green bottles as their conventional oil making it hard to differentiate.
Lost sales and or slower sales growth will result. People often wanna blame the retailers for not having what they want in stock.
It is sometimes the result of the producer not keeping up with the orders. Even if you see another retailer having the product
in stock elsewhere, each retailer may be allocated a certain amount.

Good point on the QS products having the same colored containers. Pennzoil did the exact same thing.

OP, you're sure they didn't have any of either? That's a lot of holes on the shelf.

Op clearly doesn't like Mobil 1 and that's his prerogative. I suspect the reason the M1 Annual shelf is full is because many of
us are not going to pay $46 or thereabouts for a jug.

How long did the OP spend in the Walmart oil isle?

I take a quick look for Rotella T6 CJ-4 and move on.

I am told the NAPA 0W20 future sale price will be $3.99 (rather than it's low of $2.99) so after my small stash runs out I may be back at Walmart looking for oil for my Subarus.

The Walmart in the neighboring county is in the middle of a remodel. They have condensed their oil selection to about half of what it used to be. No more QSUD (I looked for the green bottle) No Magnatec. Tons of Mobil Annual Protection. Limited Synpower. Limited Pennzoil Platinum. They literaly got rid of multiple products and approximately 40% less shelf space is devoted to motor oil. Hope this isn't a forthcoming chain of events for other Wally Worlds. My local store is unchanged as of now. If it does spread to other Wally's, Amazon may become my source for motor oil.

Last edited:
Meanwhile my local Walmart carries 2 flavors of Euro PP.
laugh.gif

*on top of everything else. We even have the Pennzoil and QS Dexos blends. 0w20 included.

Last edited:
You made some nice points about the role of a father. Well said.

If you were using Smitty's Super S before and want to stay at a moderate price point, Walmart was carrying Quaker State High Mileage (a blend that replaces Defy) for $16.97. I'm running it now in my wife's M35.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Good point on the QS products having the same colored containers. Pennzoil did the exact same thing.

OP, you're sure they didn't have any of either? That's a lot of holes on the shelf.

Castrol Edge (black bottle) and Castrol Edge EP (gold bottle)? Regular Valvoline SynPower? And SuperTech Synthetic?

As soon as the Mobil 1 fan boys get going with the new annual protection version we can expect some observations, results and maybe a few UOA's.

There is no doubt that Mobil 1 is a line of excellent products but there is always someone around that won't use it because it just might be the most popular and most widely sold synthetic oil on the planet.

AZ clearance had lots of QS - so running 10w30 Defy in son's '07 300.
Purrs like a kitten and no consumption at 160k

I saw a bunch of M1 AP when I went this week to get the Castrol LL-01 oil. Lucked out and got the last two there.

In general end cap displays are reserved for vendors who are willing to pay for the privilege. AP must be new enough for M1 to push hard on consumers to establish a customer base. It is a tough retail sale, as those people who drive enough miles to need the AP are probably the ones who have someone else change their oil.

I only do an annual on the BMW as we have been averaging <10k a yr. i am going to 6 month intervals soon. It might be a candidate for the Civic if life gets too busy.

At the 2 Wal Marts closest to me, it's Gold jug EDGE, regular EDGE, Maxlife Syn, Magnatec 5w20 and 30 Synthetic and Royal Purple with some M1 AFE and other flavors of M1 minus AP

Hey guys. Yeah there was Castrol gold bottle, Castrol Edge, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, QSGB, VWB, Supertech, Pennzoil Euro in both viscosities, Motorcraft, Castrol GTX in the shelves too. Fairly regular selection at the end of the day. Of note was how low the entire section stock was except for the Mobil 1 annual protection. The rest of the selection was rather low in terms of quantity. I hope they get another truck in there to fill up some open spots in the shelves. The only other part that had good numbers was the Valvoline Maxlife red containers. They were just about full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back