Escape tire choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing has the OEM Continentals on it, 40000 miles. Size 235/55R17 99H.
As I was on Tire Rack I discovered I can get LT tires or regular passenger tires.

What have any of you who have/had Escapes what tires did you run?
When I did the tire selector it came up with Pirelli P7.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/dg/TireDe...r=5&price=5

This is the first AWD vehicle we have had so new to this. I really like the Michelin Primacy on the Camry but that is a different animal.

If u use the escape strictly on road, then I would get a passenger type tire. If u use off-road and/or light duty, then I would go LT or all terrain tires. Pirelli is a very good choice

Well I would not get LT tires. You simply don't need the in a escape. They rude rougher and are heavier so it will kill your gas mileage and power on a escape.
LT is for heavy pickups and towing.
I wouldn't even get them for my Dodge but it's 3/4 ton and required.
That said, check Walmart.com. They are having crazy clearance sales on tires.
I just bought a set for about half what I usually pay and the selection is awesome.
Alot more than thier stores carry and free shipping. Check it out. I was surprised and the warranties you can get at installation can't be beat.
I don't think I ll ever buy tires elsewhere again.

I had and 03 escape. Short wheelbase. I would not use Lt tires, unless you need to remove some old fillings/dental work.

I ran michelin crossterrains, and later general grabber ht tires. The general grabbers were great.

You do not need LT tires for a station wagon. Quite a few tire companies make special CUV/SUV versions of some of their tires, such as an LTX version of Micheln's Defender (I think there's also a Premier LTX). But these don't seem to be available in your size.

Also, in your case, the original speed rating is H. Most tire shops will not install tires lower than the original speed rating, and I don't think H-rated LT tires exist, either.

What are your driving conditions like? Do you need snow traction? Do you have a set of dedicated winter tires? Does it even snow or get cold where you are?

My pick would be the Dunlop Signature HP, since I liked its predecessor, the SP Sport Signature (the new tire isn't available in my size, so I'm using the Falken Ziex ZE950 now)

Good all-season tires to consider:
Dunlop Signature HP
Falken Ziex ZE950
Falken Azenis FK450
General G-Max AS-05
Hankook S1 noble2
Cooper CS5 Ultra

If you have dedicated snow tires, or if it's warm year-round where you are, get summer tires:
Nexen N'Fera SU1
Falken Azenis FK453
Sumitomo HTR Z III
Michelin Primacy HP

The bargain is Tire Rack's Kumho ECSTA LX PLATINUM - SIZE: 235/55ZR17 for $78 each, highly rated, XL for extra load capability, and a tough W speed rating. Durable. Cheaper than most.

The thing about LT tires is they are often 3-ply sidewalls. So they are stiff (harsher ride) but good off road as they shrug off rocks and other sidewall threats better than 2-ply passenger car tires.

If you are not going off road, stay with the softer and better riding metric size tires.

Remember, the way to get good ride and tread life is to make sure the thread is somewhat wider than the rim - say 8" tread width on 7" rim. It gives you more wiggle room in inflation pressures w/o sacrificing tread life. That usually works out nicely
smile.gif

What tire to replace the original Continental ContiProContact?

COntinental Pure Contact
BITOG's favorite tire, the General Altimax RT43
Michelin Premier A/S
Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S is a good choice. Can handle offroad also. See TFLcar's Gold Mine Hill tests:
-Tiguan (Pirelli in 255/40r19) vs Sante Fe Sport (some sort of Kumho Crugen)
-Volvo V90 Cross Country

When my 235/50r18 ContiProContacts get worn, I'm looking at Nokian z-line a/s

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The bargain is Tire Rack's Kumho ECSTA LX PLATINUM - SIZE: 235/55ZR17 for $78 each, highly rated, XL for extra load capability, and a tough W speed rating. Durable. Cheaper than most.

the only issue with the Kumho is the wet traction isn't that good, so you have to drive extra careful when it rains. especially in a car where your peak torque is at a low rpm

Yeah I saw the scorpion tire. So far I'm leaning Pirelli or. Michelin.
The Pirelli has a $80 rebate and the Michelins have a $70 rebate.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
See what DTD will have in July during their promo

I will. Thanks!

My Dad put Firestone Destination LE2 on his 2010 Escape and absolutely loves them. They are available in the 235/55/17 99H spec for the 2014 Escape and would be a solid choice for a highway all-season tire. Good reviews on tirerack as well.

I had a development. My wife called the dealer we bought it from. They said we could buy a set at their cost.

I hope the tire choices are decent.......
If not I will say thanks but no thanks.

I will up date later today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back