BAD BOY zero turn Kohler oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a brand new Bad Boy zero turn mower from tractor supply 2 weeks ago. It has the 725cc Kohler V-twin, 7000 series. Love the mower....but used it today for the 1st time and after mowing notice oil leaking from the engine. Looks like from the top and running down. I didn't take anything apart to see because I didn't want issues with warranty. I called tractor supply and the manager was great - said there is a known issue with the Kohler and to bring it back and they will exchange it for another one. That is great service - I don't have to bother with dealing with the manufacturer and having my brand new under 5 hour mower messed with.

My question - does anybody know about this known defect?? What is the change my replacement mower will do the same thing?

Maybe he was talking about the service bulletin regarding the "smart choke" problems????

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

My question - does anybody know about this known defect?? What is the change my replacement mower will do the same thing?

Not sure if this affect your particular mower, but Kohler engines have a problem where the bolts that hold the top part of the engine to the lower section loosen up. The fix to this is remove the flywheel to access these bolts and tighten them up.
Of course, this would be a warranty issue.

I read about the 2 issues mentioned above. I think its the valve cover leaking but I don't want to take anything apart to make them change their mind exchanging it tomorrow. I appreciate the responses.

After seeing the used stuff TSC has in there for sale at times I think they take anything back under warranty. Saw a cub cadet trimmer that you could tell had been used HARD for MANY hours and they was still trying to get $50 for it.

Originally Posted By: dieselfarmboy
After seeing the used stuff TSC has in there for sale at times I think they take anything back under warranty. Saw a cub cadet trimmer that you could tell had been used HARD for MANY hours and they was still trying to get $50 for it.

I see you are from MD. That's where I was born and raised and lived most of my life. I live in Texas now but don't miss MD politics, crime, taxes and gun laws but I do miss the seafood!

Could have been something simple like a detached breather hose or something askew with the breather assembly on the top of the block. Couple that with slightly overfull oil (which they tend to be) and oil is going to puke all over. The V-twins don't have the block cover like the Courage single cyl. Very few issues with the V-twins, even the cheaper ones.

Just bought a brand new Bad Boy zero turn mower from tractor supply 2 weeks ago. It has the 725cc Kohler V-twin, 7000 series. Love the mower....but used it today for the 1st time and after mowing notice oil leaking from the engine. Looks like from the top and running down. I didn't take anything apart to see because I didn't want issues with warranty. I called tractor supply and the manager was great - said there is a known issue with the Kohler and to bring it back and they will exchange it for another one. That is great service - I don't have to bother with dealing with the manufacturer and having my brand new under 5 hour mower messed with.

I've fixed a few valve cover leaks on those Kohler Courage V-Twins. Leaking valve covers is a common issue. If left alone it will get bad enough where it drips on the exhaust. I had that happen on one with 200 hours on it. Upon pulling the valve cover, it appears Kohler uses some kind of RTV type sealant, but they don't use enough. I resealed both covers while I had it apart and it has been good since.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I've fixed a few valve cover leaks on those Kohler Courage V-Twins. Leaking valve covers is a common issue. If left alone it will get bad enough where it drips on the exhaust. I had that happen on one with 200 hours on it. Upon pulling the valve cover, it appears Kohler uses some kind of RTV type sealant, but they don't use enough. I resealed both covers while I had it apart and it has been good since.

Thank you! That is the information I needed to hear and thanks! So far the replacement mower is oil leak free but if it happens again I will probably reseal it myself rather than the hassle of warranty repairs.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Could have been something simple like a detached breather hose or something askew with the breather assembly on the top of the block. Couple that with slightly overfull oil (which they tend to be) and oil is going to puke all over. The V-twins don't have the block cover like the Courage single cyl. Very few issues with the V-twins, even the cheaper ones.

Good point and something I should have checked. I'm glad the engine should be mostly trouble free.

I've been very happy mine is same engine on SCAG mower very strong running manual choke always pops right off using Amsoil ASE and always E0 1oz Red Line SI-1 per 5 gal fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back