2012 Accord drain and refill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went by the Honda dealership and picked up some Honda ATF DW-1 transmission fluid. I'll be doing a drain/refill. There's a video on youtube where the guy says it holds "almost" three quarts. The guy at Honda said to refill it with an even four.

Who has done this procedure before? What's the exact amount for a drain/refill?

2012 Accord 2.4 auto tranny.

Here's the video on youtube

I found this too. A pictorial step by step:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/39-diy/14714-diy-atf-change-drain-fill.html

Easy...make sure it's full before you drain it. Siphon out of dipstick hole....pour into a clear container. Drop the pan and pour that into the container. Mark the fluid level and empty old fluid into a recycle container. Fill fresh fluid into container and pour into dipstick hole.

The great thing is that these cars have transmission drain plugs,no pan drop needed thank goodness!!

Though not on the 2.4L specicifcally, done it many times on a couple Hondas. Amsoil Online Product Application Guide says 2.6 qts with a d&f. My advice, measure what you drain out, and fill with that as refernce. Then follow the OM procedure for checking the trans level, and add as needed to bring to correct level. Since new to you, might want to do OM procedure dipstick level check before d&f just to confirm level.

IME 4 qts sounds like way too much, and given Amsoil capacity listing, they seem all wet. Better to underfill a tad at first then add as needed. Don't want to overfill.

Keeping vehicle level preferable for all this.

^^Yep,you're right. I just found it in my owner's manual,2.6 quarts with drain and refill. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

It doesn't say anything about a filter in the manual and I haven't seen anything about it online either. Wonder if it has one?

Yep, just measure how much came out and put that much back in. Honda tranny dipsticks are easy to read. Just make sure the engine's off when doing so.

My wife has a 2007 Accord 2.4 at. I normally get between 2.6 and 3 qts out. Not sure why the amount is different since I change it in my garage(car is not on a grade).

My wife's car DOES have a trans filter. Not sure if that changed in the later years, but you can see it between the airbox and engine, sitting right on top of the transmission. I'll look for a part number when I get home.

Go to Hondaautomotiveparts and look up your car. When you get to "system name/component" use the drop-down menu and choose "AT OIL LEVEL GAUGE - ATF PIPE". You'll see it listed there with the part number. Then run off to Amazon and search the part number.

I looked up a random trim level and sedan body for the 2012 model and saw part # 25430-R5L-003

Go to Hondaautomotiveparts and look up your car. When you get to "system name/component" use the drop-down menu and choose "AT OIL LEVEL GAUGE - ATF PIPE". You'll see it listed there with the part number. Then run off to Amazon and search the part number.

I looked up a random trim level and sedan body for the 2012 model and saw part # 25430-R5L-003

Drain it in jackstands and when it's draining raise the side of the car opposite the drain hole to get more fluid out.

When refilling put in two quarts first and check the level via the dispstick. Add another half quart and then check the level. Add a little more at a time If you need it. After the two 2.5 quarts I would restart the vehicle and check for leaks.

If you are a little overfilled that's ok.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Get a measuring bucket, and just fill with the same amount that you drained
smile.gif

It has a dipstick, might as well use it
smile.gif

I have always drained then refilled with 3 quarts, it's still at the proper level. Also, yes they do have an inline filter that sits on top of the transmission. The dealership will deny this up and down but it's there.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The guy at Honda said to refill it with an even four.

No offense to the parts counter guy, but I doubt he memorizes the fluid capacity of all of their models, transmission variants, years, and so on. Even when you buy ATF, there's no need to "look up" a part # so unless you told him, he has no idea what vehicle, engine, trans, etc that you have.

Originally Posted By: mitsuman47

Wow,that's a trip! Thanks! Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-25430-R5L-003-Filter-ATF/dp/B00KTLCJPO

On the 08-12 Accord 4-cyl, it usually takes between 3-3.3 quarts. Drain the fluid, clean off magnet on plug, re-install plug with new washer. Tighten to 36 ft-lbs. Add 3 quarts of fluid. Idle car until radiator fan turns on. Shut off. Check within 60 seconds of shut-down. I adjust the fluid level to somewhere between the min/max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back