6076 Deere UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a rather boring UOA I thought I would share.

6076 John Deere marine engine, 250 hp version, turbocharged/intercooled.

John Deere Plus 50 II 15w-40 CJ-4
518 hrs. on sample, 13 months/12,511 hrs. total
sump capacity is 7 gallons
oil and filter were changed at time of sample

Fe..............37
Cr.............. Pb...............9
Cu...............2
Sn...............1
Al...............3
Ni...............2
Ag...............1
Ti.............. V...............
Si...............9
Na...............2
K................2
Soot %.........0.5
Water %......
Mg.............850
Ca............1363
Ba.............. P..............863
Zn.............993
Mo.............283
B..............230

Viscosity(cST 100C) 13.9
TBN...................3.6

There was approx. 3 gallon of make-up oil added over the life of the sample. This application sees roughly 60% idle time, with the 40% running at or near governed speed (2,200 rpm). Due to winter ice on the great lakes the boat is layed-up Dec.-Apr. every year. I bought this engine new in '92 and it has been the most reliable piece of equipment I have ever owned.

I believe that is very similar to the 466 used in the 55 series tractors. We also had excellent luck with them. Has the oil consumption increased over the years, or had it always consumed that much? Deere had some trouble with the rings seating properly in these engines.

Keep an eye on the weep hole on the water pump.

These are based in the 404 engine that then became the 466 engine. Absolutely a fantastic low output engine in any application. Our 404 in a 1971 4020 Deere went 28,000 hours before an oil leak and subsequent oil starvation forced an overhaul. I would love one in a generator.

The 6076 is the "modern" 466, same block with upgrades over the years. It was produced until the early 2000's. Oil consumption has remained constant since new, quite honestly 3 gallons over 500+ hours is nothing considering the idling hours.

The water pump has been changed a couple times over the years, eventually adding a coolant filter solved all water pump problems.

being a marine engine, how much time does it spend at "rated" rpm?
500+ hours would be roughly equivalent to 30k miles, if running and not idling most of the time.
Very impressive, indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back