Any advantage to prefill filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never have in the spin on filters, however now that I have a boosted engine would be better too fill it before I put it on?
The filter I chose is MC 910S. It looks interesting to take off, my first oil change in it.

Well, if you can fill/partially fill the filter without spilling most of it out during the install, go for it. I prefill when it's convenient but, I've had vehicles where it made more of a mess than it was worth.

No boost going in at idle, so no difference in filtration from what you've been doing.

It may help, it might not but it certainly won't hurt. These "fill or not" threads usually get a raging debate going on, so:

35.gif

I do in the Mazda since I can. I don't in the truck since it would make a mess. Some say not to do it since it's allowing unfiltered oil to go through the engine but I don't think it's any different than dumping your oil through the valve cover.

I've read these "To pre fill or not to pre fill" threads and I've always thought that any benefit would depend mostly on engine age/condition. I also guess the "It can't hurt" school is accurate.

As far as horizontal filter applications go, you could fill the filter with oil the night before and pop it into the freezer. The next day you'd have time to spin it on drip free. Finish the rest of the oil change (add oil, clean up), wait an hour or two then start the engine.

And please remember, I said pop it into the freezer not immerse it in liquid nitrogen. Kira

Some people think that by a pre-fill some unfiltered oil makes its way to key engine components. Probably true...and dependent on the cleanliness of the oil you bought. I just did an OCI and added 14 oz of oil to my Fram XG2 filter...which mounts nearly vertically. I think that's the best way to go.

Is there an advantage? Maybe. Is there a disadvantage? Maybe. Will it matter either way? Probably not.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I've read these "To pre fill or not to pre fill" threads and I've always thought that any benefit would depend mostly on engine age/condition. I also guess the "It can't hurt" school is accurate.

As far as horizontal filter applications go, you could fill the filter with oil the night before and pop it into the freezer. The next day you'd have time to spin it on drip free. Finish the rest of the oil change (add oil, clean up), wait an hour or two then start the engine.

And please remember, I said pop it into the freezer not immerse it in liquid nitrogen. Kira

43.gif

Filters that mount at anything higher than horizontal, I don't bother. Anything lower than horizontal I fill them, at least partially. If the filter mounts facing straight up in the vertical position, I fill it totally full. Filling the will slightly reduce the time your engine runs dry, if only by a second or two. You have to oil up the gasket anyways so why not do it by dumping some oil into the filter?

The advantage is that whatever volume of oil goes into the filter prior to installation is directly proportional to the volume of air in the oiling system that is eliminated before the oil pump even rotates. We also know that air does not lubricate engines and that oil does.

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
I fill it and drain out excess...the media & space outside the center tube is filled

This makes the most sense as the new dry filter doesn't get a spike of pressure through it. You can even do it with cartridge filters by getting the media damp.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
I fill it and drain out excess...the media & space outside the center tube is filled

This makes the most sense as the new dry filter doesn't get a spike of pressure through it. You can even do it with cartridge filters by getting the media damp.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
The advantage is that whatever volume of oil goes into the filter prior to installation is directly proportional to the volume of air in the oiling system that is eliminated before the oil pump even rotates. We also know that air does not lubricate engines and that oil does.

I made these points in an earlier thread, and was called an uneducated fool, at least in so many words. Yet there was no counter-argument, except someone repeating the term "delta-V" over and over again in a trance-like chant.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I do in the Mazda since I can. I don't in the truck since it would make a mess. Some say not to do it since it's allowing unfiltered oil to go through the engine but I don't think it's any different than dumping your oil through the valve cover.

I always thought the same thing. Worrying about "unfiltered" oil from a clean bottle of oil being poured into the filter, maybe 50-100cc max, when you are pouring 4+ qts into the fill tube.

On vertical filters with the opening up, I do prefill them, if horiaontal, I fill them, let the media absorb the oil, and do it a few times so their is no free oil in the center tube but the media is saturated. No idea if it really helps anything or not, but it makes me feel good.

I can't on the Subaru, it mounts open side down! With a Fumoto on it I drain it hot. 90 seconds later when I'm done, I start the car and there are no cold/dry start noises. My Chevy is always prefilled. If you really worry about it you can crank it over with your foot on the gas. It won't fire but you may add a little fuel to your new oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back