Mercon LV alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Ford Fusion with the 6F35 transmission. Spec transmission fluid is Mercon LV. I ran the factory fill until it was serviced at dealer for shift flare under power train warranty, that was around 60k. Fluid was changed around 120k to the Valvoline MaxLife multi vehicle stuff. I just ordered a case of motorcraft Mercon LV because I'm seeing either shift flare or slow torque converter lockup. It's hard to say if it's a legit shift issue because this transmission is electronically controlled and it "learns" your driving style.

Anyway, I'm going to dump five and replace five, then drive it for a few thousand before dropping and replacing five again.

Any advice on the transmission is welcome. My question is this: does anyone make a true Mercon LV besides motorcraft? The Valvoline MaxLife works, and it seemed to shift smoother after that fluid change but I don't know if the fluid truly meets the ford Mercon LV spec so it's got me worried. Are there any other lube manufacturers besides Valvoline that make a Mercon LV fluid?

There are multiple licensed Mercon LV fluids on the market now.

I just did a pan drop & filter change on my wife's 2011 Mustang with 6R80. Least expensive licensed fluid I could find was Kendall Versatrans LV for under $5 / qt. delivered to my door if I ordered a 12 qt. case, which is what I did. Car is driving great. That may be more fluid than you want to buy at one shot, but it coild be used for multiple drain & fills.

https://kendallmotoroil.com/product/versatrans-lv-atf

http://www.kendallmotoroils.com/versatrans-lv/

Pep Boys carries Pennzoil Platinum MVLV licensed fluid.

https://m.pepboys.com/product/details/1162211/00741

http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/...s-and-axle-oils

There's Syngard LV from Martin Lubricants

http://syngardoil.com/allproducts/syngar...smission-fluid/

Jump on Amazon and you'll find others like Mag 1 and so on.

All the Ford licensed Mercon LV fluids I found other than Motorcraft are also licensed by GM for Dexron VI (dual licensed).

Valvoline Maxlife LV is not a Ford licensed Mercon LV fluid but says if you have problems with it to contact them. See the PI Sheet via this page.

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/automatic-transmission-products/maxlife-multi-vehicle-atf

Last edited:
Is the dexron xi also a low viscosity fluid? I already have 12qt of the motorcraft Mercon LV on the way so that's what I'm going to use in the short term

I'm kind of wary of the multi spec fluids. If it's licensed it should be ok I guess. With ford and GM collaborating on the 9 and 10 speed transmissions I guess it makes sense that the fluids are compatible.

Last edited:
Think you mean Dexron VI. Yes, it is also a LV fluid, which Maxlife LV also isn't licensed for but says it's suitable for. There are more licensed aftermarket brands for just Dex VI out there than there are for Mercon LV, as there are numerous single-licensed Dex VI brands (Super Tech, Mobil, of course AC Delco, etc.)

I did find a licensed Mazda Mercon LV fluid out there, not surprising with links between Ford & Mazda, but it was no bargain price.

Plus if you look at the shape of the Kendall Versatrans LV bottles vs. Motorcraft Mercon LV bottles the connection between Motorcraft and Phillips 66 can be seen.

Last edited:
IIRC Mercon LV lists at $6.65/qt, so why not use the OEM fluid? It's almost the same price as Maxlife, and there's no way that Maxlife can simultaneously have the characteristics of Mercon V AND Mercon LV. If you use the OEM fluid and you still have shifting concerns, you can be sure that the fluid is not the problem.

I found that my local Ford dealership actually sells genuine Motorcraft Mercon LV quarts for right around $6 per quart, so that's what I bought for my next ATF change on my 2010 Fusion with the 6F35.

In the past, I've been using Valvoline Maxlife LV for this trans, and it's worked well, but I figure for a extra few bucks, it's worth it to go with the genuine stuff.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Not sure what "list" your referring to.

Motorcraft products come from Ford. I'm trying to remember the list price from Ford...

Maxlife is good stuff, and it seems to be working fine with no problems
smile.gif

You're out-of-warranty, so you don't need a licensed Mercon LV fluid, but if you still want one, they are easy to obtain. Autozone has Castrol Full Synthetic ATF for $7.19/qt. Walmart has their ST synthetic LV ATF at a good price. I think Smitty's Synthetic LV is also licensed. There's also Mag 1 LV ATF

The in-store bottles of Supertech LV ATF @ WM in my area no longer display "GM & Ford Approved" and no longer display any license numbers.

I don't believe the Castrol ATF @ $7.19 you mention is a licensed Mercon LV product.

Mag 1 licensed products can be found on Amazon. Don't think Smitty's has a licensed Mercon LV product. Schaeffer's is one of the most expensive at over $200 a case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Not sure what "list" your referring to.

Motorcraft products come from Ford. I'm trying to remember the list price from Ford...

Pretty sure Motorcraft oils & ATF's come from Phillips 66. No Ford refineries in the USA.

How different can these be really?

Motorcraft Mercon LV Link

Kendall Versatrans LV Link

Phillips 66 Versatrans LV Link

Except I bought Kendall Versatrans LV ATF for under $5 / qt. delivered to my door?

My wife drove her Mustang to Houston in 100°F ambient temperatures today for Father's Day weekend with her parents. Said her car ran great (as expected). So I didn't spend at least $12 I didn't need to, more like $33 at FLAPS retail level.

The in-store bottles of Supertech LV ATF @ WM in my area no longer display "GM & Ford Approved" and no longer display any license numbers.

I don't believe the Castrol ATF @ $7.19 you mention is a licensed Mercon LV product.

Mag 1 licensed products can be found on Amazon. Don't think Smitty's has a licensed Mercon LV product. Schaeffer's is one of the most expensive at over $200 a case.

Castrol Synthetic ATF is indeed a licensed Mercon LV
smile.gif

81x5iJLszSL._SL1500_.jpg

You got 40K+ miles on the MaxLife ATF fill and at 160K+ on the tranny, I doubt the MaxLife ATF is your issue

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
You got 40K+ miles on the MaxLife ATF fill and at 160K+ on the tranny, I doubt the MaxLife ATF is your issue

I don't think it's a mechanical issue with the transmission. The rpm wiggle I'm seeing is maybe 100 RPM. I've seen shift flare before it was rebuilt under TSB and I think it's programmed behavior. My case of motorcraft Mercon LV has arrived so I'm gonna do the drain and fill which changes about half the fluid and see if anything changes.

I've noticed that the AC compressor kicking in/out will screw up shifts. Something else to poke at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back