Anyone run 5W-30 in a Honda K24?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The newer Accord will be getting an oil change this weekend or next, since my wife informed me the other day that the "little wrench" had illuminated, which means that the MM hit 15% after about 7K on the oil.
I have various 0W-20s, some M1 5W-20 as well as M1, PP, PU and Syntec in 5W-30.
I'll avoid HGMO 0W-20 for this run, since I think that a break from this high moly, high VI (so high VII) oil might be desirable.
I can see some advantage in a 5W-20 and no real downside in a 5W-30, other than a .0001% loss in fuel economy, which is really vital with gas back down around two bucks in this area.
This oil will be drained around 15% MM which will be around the end of November, well before the potential onset on any real cold in this area. Car is also out of warranty, so that is of no concern.
What do those here think?

For my 2015 K24 Mobil's website lists 0w-20 and 0w-30 as recommended viscosities, so the 30 part of the 5w-30 shouldn't be an issue. And with your location and time of year the 5 shouldn't matter, either.

I expect there are many K24s living happy lives out there on a 5w-30 diet either intentionally or because that's just what the quick-lube place uses.

I would use a good 5w20 FS
I had a 13 Sport Accord
Even the Honda dealer offered a 0w20 for $10 extra per oil change but did not try to promote it.
I used Magnatec in mine after the Honda freebies.

Currently running M1AFE 0w-30. No loss in fuel economy and it stifles the slight VTC rattle on startup. During the summer months we could run a 10w-30 if we wanted.

0w helps during shorts trips and the EPA city cycle.

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one
laugh.gif
I went to Walmart to buy a few groceries on the way home from work last night. I almost bought a jug of Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 for my 12 Accord 2.4,but being this thick man I am,I suddenly see PP in 5W20,5W30,and 10W30. And to further complicate things,I even see it in 0W20 high mileage. I just couldn't bring myself to buy a 20 weight oil haha. I know I'm just being silly because the oil cap and manual both say "0W20" and give no other option like my 300ZX,which lists 10W30-20W50.

I searched through a ton of Accord uoa's and they all look perfect on 0W20. Looking at Pennzoils pds,the PP 0W20 is actually a tiny bit thicker at operating temp than PP 5W30. But alas,I have made up my mind to run PP 0W20 for her very first oil journey with me. Me being a true BITOG'er at heart,I just don't trust the dealership's oil that's in there right now haha.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
laugh.gif
I went to Walmart to buy a few groceries on the way home from work last night. I almost bought a jug of Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 for my 12 Accord 2.4,but being this thick man I am,I suddenly see PP in 5W20,5W30,and 10W30. And to further complicate things,I even see it in 0W20 high mileage. I just couldn't bring myself to buy a 20 weight oil haha. I know I'm just being silly because the oil cap and manual both say "0W20" and give no other option like my 300ZX,which lists 10W30-20W50.

I searched through a ton of Accord uoa's and they all look perfect on 0W20. Looking at Pennzoils pds,the PP 0W20 is actually a tiny bit thicker at operating temp than PP 5W30. But alas,I have made up my mind to run PP 0W20 for her very first oil journey with me. Me being a true BITOG'er at heart,I just don't trust the dealership's oil that's in there right now haha.

Shame on you, you should've bought PP 5w30 LOL!
Besides that, you STILL haven't updated your sig
wink.gif
j/k :^)

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
laugh.gif

Shame on you, you should've bought PP 5w30 LOL!
Besides that, you STILL haven't updated your sig
wink.gif
j/k :^)

Haha I just tried to add my Accord and it said "too many characters" :p Guess I need to do some editing haha

It's a slightly different animal, but I've pretty much exclusively run 5w30 in my TSX's K24. The owner's manual dictates 5w30 and while the Accords of the same era were backspec'd to Xw20, the TSX was not.

It has 220k on it now (purchased with 10k).

Here's the valvetrain at 188k...

My 05 Accord K24 has 254 K miles on it now.
From 0 miles to 101 K, I had been running on Castrol Syntec 5-20 or Syntec Blend 5-20.
I took a real good look at the cam thru the oil fill hole, and didn't like what I was seeing on the cam lobe surfaces---way too much of a wear pattern for only 100K.
I started running PP/QSUD 5-30 year round, until the AZ 'almost free' oils started to appear. Sometimes there was only 10-30 left on the shelves, so I have been using QSUD 10-30 for 8 months of the year. With QSUD 10-30, the engine is quieter than when new---seriously---
I will be searching out QSUD 10-30 if AZ runs another special this year
Steve

PS the cam lobe surfaces look the same as they did at 101K

Originally Posted By: steve20
From 0 miles to 101 K, I had been running on Castrol Syntec 5-20 or Syntec Blend 5-20.
I took a real good look at the cam thru the oil fill hole, and didn't like what I was seeing on the cam lobe surfaces---way too much of a wear pattern for only 100K.
I started running PP/QSUD 5-30 year round, until the AZ 'almost free' oils started to appear. Sometimes there was only 10-30 left on the shelves, so I have been using QSUD 10-30 for 8 months of the year. With QSUD 10-30, the engine is quieter than when new---seriously---
Steve

Wow Steve... great results even better with 30wt oil
smile.gif

Is FE and engine response same with 5-30/10-30 oils as was when you were using 5-20 oils ?

Steve

10w-30 is good stuff. In conventional or synthetic I think it's usually the right choice unless there is extreme cold to contend with

I have used 30 weight since new mostly 0w/30 but on this next change I'm going to 10w/30ATM instead of the 0w/30AZO simply because I can. When the K24 first came out it was spec'd for 30 weight oil use it with out a worry. This is my second K24 and both got fed 30 weight. I have virtually zero consumption in an 8-10 OCI.

As far as the gas mileage difference between the two grades it is minimal. On my second oil change I used 5w/20 and logged my mileage for the entire interval using a fuel app and then averaged it out. Then went to 30 weight for good and logged the mileage for that interval. This may not be the most scientific way to do it but over the same interval for the two the 30 weight actually yielded a .3 MPG difference to the good over the 20 weight so go figure.

I haven't tried it yet in mine, but I do plan on trying a 10W-30 on the next oil change to see if it curbs the consumption a bit. Currently at about 1 quart every 1500-2000 miles, roughly.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I haven't tried it yet in mine, but I do plan on trying a 10W-30 on the next oil change to see if it curbs the consumption a bit. Currently at about 1 quart every 1500-2000 miles, roughly.

When was the last time you replaced your PCV valve? Replaced mine and consumption completely stopped. I do have SLIGHTLY less mileage though.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

When was the last time you replaced your PCV valve? Replaced mine and consumption completely stopped. I do have SLIGHTLY less mileage though.
wink.gif

About 2,500 miles ago. Didn't change anything, unfortunately. I'm guessing it's the rings. Oil was changed every 7-9k with conventional (and every once in a while, Mobil 1) at the dealer prior to me owning it. No varnish/sludge under the filler cap, luckily. Being that it was all highway miles, I'm sure it didn't stress it much.

From 0 miles to 101 K, I had been running on Castrol Syntec 5-20 or Syntec Blend 5-20......

Whenever a thinner oil is in use, never mind if it's OEM recommendation, margin of safety is reduced and possibly resulting in increased wear affecting in a negetive manner components longevity.

Reduction in specific film thickness as a result of roughened worn surfaces would permanantly shift operating point towards the left hand side ...... on a stribeck curve.

Quote:
I started running PP/QSUD 5-30 year round, .........

The damage is always irreversible!
Hence my propensity for thicker oil .... for increased margin of safety, often times at lower price points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back