Old record players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I hooked up the PS Audio 5.6 as the phono stage and it sounds more "crisp" than the one built into the DENON, am pleased with that.
thumbsup2.gif

You've just proven to yourself that not all phono-stages sound the same!

While we're having show-n-tell....

Here's the D28. A 1" (25mm) soft dome set back quite-a-bit for a tweeter in a shallow horn:

Forgot about this one..here's a SEAS EXCEL tweeter with a much shallower horn/faceplate:

Finally here's the Revealator. Very large, contoured faceplate/horn machined from solid aluminum:

With LP and tape the signal is clean beneath the noise, on 16bit 44 the signal goes to &^$%!

I still think there is an issue with even entry High =end cd replay, as most DAT transfers will walk all over CD.

I recall early CD players with error concealment and correction lights - they were lit CONSTANTLY.

My neighbor asked me about some LS's as he's setting up two stereos for his daughters. He has two old Pioneer SX-series receivers....and a turntable!!? I said Whaaat? They don't know anything about records? They're both about 21. "Vinyl's making a comeback with the younger set".

Doesn't make sense to me...how will they port their iTunes collection to vinyl??

Yesterday at Fry's I noticed new vinyl on the shelves...at $25/album!! That's nuts. That means my collection is worth $$$$$.

BTW, I never completed answering your Q...I use an HK T55C with a Grado cartridge. The phono amp is an Adcom 565.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
My neighbor asked me about some LS's as he's setting up two stereos for his daughters. He has two old Pioneer SX-series receivers....and a turntable!!? I said Whaaat? They don't know anything about records? They're both about 21. "Vinyl's making a comeback with the younger set".

Doesn't make sense to me...how will they port their iTunes collection to vinyl??

Yesterday at Fry's I noticed new vinyl on the shelves...at $25/album!! That's nuts. That means my collection is worth $$$$$.

BTW, I never completed answering your Q...I use an HK T55C with a Grado cartridge. The phono amp is an Adcom 565.

I just read this rather lengthy review:
Adcom GFA-565 on Audiophile

Sounds like those amps are excellent.

Ah...wrong 565. I was referring to Adcom's 565 pre-amp. There's also an (old) review of it on stereophile. It was quite a product back-in-the-day and Gary Galo with Walt Jung did several POOGE updates on it. Mine's still stock.

Yesterday at Fry's I noticed new vinyl on the shelves...at $25/album!!

Man the prices on these vinyl reissues is a joke. You can go to Halfprice Books,Ebay,or Discogs and buy that stuff for $1 a pop.

Yea, that IS NUTS. While some kids will be interested in vinyl, I don't see this as an increase of any size. They make think it's cool & retro...for awhile until the reality starts setting in (warps, dust, records DO wear out especially when the cartridge isn't properly set up, a bad scratch will no longer play, on and on...)

It's a LOT different when you grew up with it.

Ah...wrong 565. I was referring to Adcom's 565 pre-amp. There's also an (old) review of it on stereophile. It was quite a product back-in-the-day and Gary Galo with Walt Jung did several POOGE updates on it. Mine's still stock.

That makes more sense, LOL! I was wondering that when I was reading it thinking "we were discussing phono stages but...? Oh well"
wink.gif

That means my collection is worth $$$$$.

What kind've stuff do you have in your collection?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Far too much to list, that's for sure! Country, classical, rock, easy listening, etc.....

JVC QL-Y7 (have a half dozen shell heads with various carts for various reasons).
Before that it was a Benjamin ELAC Miracord 45. Can't remember what I had before that.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Far too much to list, that's for sure! Country, classical, rock, easy listening, etc.....

Nice!
thumbsup2.gif
I've got three of four on the way I bought on Ebay
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
I'm less drawn to LPs for their sound quality than for other factors.
I grew up with them so my ears were "educated" by analogue.
I like album cover art.
LPs have always been the cheapest medium. Since the 1990s I bought close to 3000 disks (all near-mint) for about $450....about the cost of 45 CDs....I've a lot of music around here I'd never have if I just bought CDs.

As for sound....I may be easy to please...but mid-level components seem fine to my ears, though I do agree that the cartridge does seem to have as much an impact on the nature of the sound as do speakers...and speaker location.

As for the speakers, I was recommended the Dynaco A25 boxes by an opera singer who said that their mid-level tones were as natural as any and for a singer the vocals were most critical...
Before I took his advice I remember comparing the A25 to the equivalent AR and found that whichever was on top of the other always sounded better...location, location, location is very important with speakers.
Over the years I have upgraded the tweeters to smooth the highs a bit and added a sub-woofer to the system for the bottom end.

I also remember using the Dynaco Quad-box for simulated surround sound and loved it...I still have one of those!

As for turntables...I've had several belt-driven Duals that just didn't hold up over all these years and many moves....I still have a rim drive 1219 I got in '75, but the quartz-locked DD seems the most reliable set-up, and luckily the Technics 1311 isn't afflicted by a finicky cueing mechanism of other similar Technics models...

And think this...we've even gotten this far without entering the killing fields where tube-fans would die before listening to music transmitted by transistors.

Recently built (2) JLH (John Linsley Hood) 10 watt transistor amps.Very few parts, very musical with horns, excellent bass, 'Class A' 10 watts, need large heat sinks,enough power for almost any listening(with the Klipsch horns). They sound so good my 2A-3 tube amps sit on the shelves.

I hope vinyl catches on again, as I have a Linn Lp-12/Ittok turntable just collecting dust because I love the convenience of digital.I will gladly sell all the Mobil Fidelity/RCA shaded dogs/Mercury Living Presence albums that I have boxed up some day, but I won't give them away.This turntable with a Threshold FET-10 phono preamp reproduced a very listenable setup.Alright, maybe its time to take a listen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back